XIM Community

The XIM NEXUS needs to work with our normal sensitivity.  (Read 641 times)

Offline FeelAliveNow

• View Profile
Hello, I've been using the Nexus for a week or so now and have some thoughts.

In my opinion a lot of people buying these controllers are naturally less casual and more experienced in what they like or don't like when it comes to their controller settings.

I'm not sure about other games, but in Apex Legends most pros on controller only really use 4/4 or 5/4. And then most experienced players play ALC settings. To them get a new controller and get told 'Turn all your settings up to 'maximum' and turn all of these settings 'off' and just tweak the sensitivity in the app' when they've potentially been putting 1,000s of hours into their perfect settings and changing anything just feels off is a hard hurdle to overcome.

Plus turning all settings to maximum/off doesn't translate well in game because certain movements such as turning left and right just feels off.

Is there a way for us to be able to use our normal settings? Essentially playing on 5,4 doesn't work because even putting the sticks to 100% it still doesn't feel like 5,4. So we are kind of forced to use the ALC settings mentioned on your website. I personally use ALC which feels like 5,4 in game but slightly less stiff.

Source: Predator and Masters player. Over 30,000 lifetime kills and 3,000 wins. 30% win rate every season.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: The XIM NEXUS needs to work with our normal sensitivity.
« Reply #1 on: 05:23 AM - 02/19/22 »
This has been discussed a couple of times and is being looked into.

I donít use max in-game sens either with NEXUS or APEX because I prefer the way AA behaves at lower sensitivities. I did a fair bit of testing in Destiny 2 and it boiled down to easier hitbox entry at 10 / 0.8 in-game sens compared to the recommended 20 / 0.8 and adjusting sens on NEXUS (50 vs 25).

Most controller gamers use roughly 50% in-game sens, so perhaps Smart Translators for NEXUS should be trained that way. Whether or not that translates well to Motion Aim will need to be tested, but XIM seem receptive to the idea. The issue being that the entire back-catalog of hundreds of Smart Translators were all trained at max, so candidates would need to be cherry picked from current popular games.
« Last Edit: 05:30 AM - 02/19/22 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline PingThing

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pingthing
  • PSN ID: pingthing
« Reply #2 on: 07:01 AM - 02/19/22 »
I always assumed that max in-game sense was a max potential fidelity thing (raw), and that all lower settings simply diluted the sensitivity or fidelity. Using this assumption I presumed that AA was a finite variable, and that the factors that determined the manipulation or interaction with the AA hit box were simply a sensitivity and velocity thing. Kind of like, the faster your reticle is moving, the less the AA modifier affects it's velocity, giving the impression that the AA is weaker. I have no clue how this affects the auto rotate variant of AA, since it happens so quick, but it appears that you at least have to be moving the sticks to some degree to get it's full affect. And the 3rd sort of AA, the all forgiving magic hit box bendy bullet variety to my knowledge cannot be manipulated, since it's hard baked into the game. So my theory in short, AA is a constant, sensitivity is variable a variable.
It don't mean a Thing if you ain't got that Ping.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 12:57 PM - 02/19/22 »
We definitely want to get this figured out so maybe you can help with that. The in game settings are chosen for maximum velocity vector coverage and micro movement. Then you use XIM NEXUS itself to turn things down so you can have motion and stick at different speeds

I was told that if we were to retrain AL: "7/7 linear small or linear with 500/500 would be perfect"

We can't build a lot of translators for every game since we can't scale to that. But we can consider a "Pro" version if we can get help what those settings should be.

Do you agree with the settings I just mentioned?
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #4 on: 05:12 PM - 02/19/22 »
I always assumed that max in-game sense was a max potential fidelity thing (raw), and that all lower settings simply diluted the sensitivity or fidelity. Using this assumption I presumed that AA was a finite variable, and that the factors that determined the manipulation or interaction with the AA hit box were simply a sensitivity and velocity thing. Kind of like, the faster your reticle is moving, the less the AA modifier affects it's velocity, giving the impression that the AA is weaker.
I made the same assumption. But hitbox entry was more difficult at max sensitivity in Destiny 2 testing (I chose it because AA and bullet magnetism is insane in that game).

0.8 ADS multiplier at 20 in-game sens vs 0.8 ADS at 10 felt very different, with the lower sensitivity offering less resistance into the hitbox, making it feel slightly weaker but more compliant. I expected it to be the other way around, with lower sensitivity making AA stronger but harder to push into the hitbox. Increasing the ADS sensitivity multiplier did improve the AA bubble effect in D2, but 20 / 0.9 still didn't feel as good as 10 / 0.8 and it wasn't linear.

What I did find was AA strength felt roughly equivalent at 10 in-game sens at 50 NEXUS sens versus 20 in-game sens at 25 NEXUS sens. It's just the hitbox entry that differed.

Retraining STs at lower game sensitivity sounds like nightmare fuel for XIM as a decade's worth of work is down the drain and they'd lose the unified APEX & NEXUS configs. It might be worth testing for a few popular games before drawing any solid conclusions, but I can certainly see a big argument for why this shouldn't be done.

It's easy enough to muck around with in-game sens to find the right AA feel. The potential cost of doing so reduced accuracy of Smart Translation, but I haven't noticed any loss of fidelity. OBsIV tried it in Halo Infinite and the ST was no longer linear, so it's not a universal finding.

Long story short - for Apex Legends at least, it sounds like a Pro ST may be trained to see if AA behaviour does differ at lower than max in-game sens. It's an outlier though because AA is disabled at 8/8 in AL, whereas that doesn't seem to be the case in any other game.
« Last Edit: 06:08 PM - 02/19/22 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Nferguzl

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Ferdster911
« Reply #5 on: 05:58 PM - 02/19/22 »
At least for COD most pro players play at 6/6 dynamic response curve.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 08:07 PM - 02/19/22 »
Well, you should, in general, be able to mimic the feel you prefer using XIM NEXUS' sensitivity and curve system (using Custom stick rather than Native). We'd like to understand if that's not possible in a game like Apex Legends and the reason why.

Offline TurboMan

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:11 PM - 02/19/22 »
I'm of the opinion that AA feels like it changes based on sensitivity (even when perfectly compensated on the XIM) due to the game using different response curves for differing sensitivities. Lowering the sensitivity in-game essentially gives you a different response curve where there's less acceleration/more linear movement/more sensitive micromovements. Suppose it's a bit like, on the Apex for example, turning the sens down a little and adding some boost while retaining the same cm/360 - it will enable you to enter the hitbox with greater ease than you could before.
« Last Edit: 06:13 AM - 02/20/22 by TurboMan »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 09:25 PM - 02/19/22 »
I would think the game maker would make AA a dynamic velocity thing that is independent of in-game sensitivity. If you were to turn at a certain rate at high in-game sensitivity, and you were to turn at that exact same rate when you are at lower in-game sensitivity, from a aiming consistency standpoint, I would think AA would be identical in both cases. I'm not sure if anyone has done an analysis on that?

Offline AgentSmith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02:37 AM - 02/23/22 »
The hardest part of testing AA is that it is often subjective.
Take two different people ( good player and a noob ), with exact same in game settings on a standard OEM controller.
One of them (good player) will tell you the aim assist is incredibly strong, the other (noob) will not agree and say it doesn't even work.
It's usually the better player that will say it's strong as they are more likely to be on target in the first place, as they ADS, they are already in the aim bubble so get the most assistance, where the noob can't get close enough to the target before they ADS, and so doesn't get into the aim bubble, then finds the aim assist seems to be more like aim resist.

I can set up a repeatable test for this in a something like Black Ops Cold War, I don't have the new COD, and don't know how I could do the test in Apex Legends as it kicks you out of practice mode after a few minutes of not doing much.
My initial thoughts are that I can only test for aim slow down with any kind of measurement and even that would be fairly crude. For aim rotation, I can think of a way to test it, but the results would be based on my observation more than measurement.

I understand this is coming from a person who's first words with regards to AA are, turn it off and learn to aim, but that doesn't change the fact I do enjoy testing stuff to find verifiable and repeatable information.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #10 on: 09:20 AM - 02/23/22 »
We are going to soon release a new translator for AL that is trained on Classic 7/7. Hopefully that'll help.

Offline FeelAliveNow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11:54 AM - 03/14/22 »
We are going to soon release a new translator for AL that is trained on Classic 7/7. Hopefully that'll help.

Hello. I've been patiently waiting for the new translator. Any idea when it would be released for Apex Legends? I'm sure quite a lot of people are waiting for it at the moment.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #12 on: 12:02 PM - 03/14/22 »
Oh sorry you missed this, it was released I think 2 weeks ago now.

Offline FeelAliveNow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04:44 PM - 03/14/22 »
Really? Do I just update the XIM gamepack app and it'll be there?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #14 on: 04:46 PM - 03/14/22 »
You should see a download notification button within Manager. If not, you can force downloads within Globals.

Admin