XIM Community

Native gyro  (Read 1072 times)

Offline SpeQzz

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: epicanova
Native gyro
« on: 10:21 AM - 02/15/22 »
Fortnite just released native gyro + flick stick for Playstation.

Will it be possible to use "native gyro" with the Nexus?

https://twitter.com/fortnitegame/status/1493559114080919557?s=21

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Native gyro
« Reply #1 on: 11:06 AM - 02/15/22 »
Nice to see all this sort of input method becoming more prevalent. I wonder if they are disabling AA when gyro is in use. What do you mean about using native gyro?
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Yungie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:41 AM - 02/15/22 »
Nice to see all this sort of input method becoming more prevalent. I wonder if they are disabling AA when gyro is in use. What do you mean about using native gyro?

I think the native gyro is going to be based on mouse aim like the Steam controller which will disable aim assist and you know thatís abysmal.

Offline SpeQzz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:43 AM - 02/15/22 »
Basically is it possible to pass the gyro input as gyro rather than translated right stick movements. Possibly with the ability to add Nexus smoothing on top if you donít like the gameís gyro mechanic.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 12:15 PM - 02/15/22 »
Yes, it would be possible to pass through our motion values, but, what isn't known is how much filtering, the type of filtering, and whether it would conflict with our filtering. It also doesn't look like there is a lot of AA in the video that you forwarded?

Offline AgentSmith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:48 PM - 02/15/22 »
It's probably accepting gyro as if it is a wireless mouse, Nice that it is doing it directly in the game.

As for the flick stick kind of operation, it is only easy to pick up if you have little to now muscle memory for a controller right stick.

Lots of games accept dual simultaneous input from both M/KB and controller.

Its how I have been using gyro controllers for a long time, and often it also gives aim assist too.
To name a few PC games that also give aim assist and allow gyro use ( If using steam overlay or REWASD ) PS4/5, Nintendo Pro, and Steam controller
Division 2
FarCry 5
Battlefield 1, 5

Coincidently,  if using REWASD those games can also give aim assist with a native mouse but it is limited in it's usage.

Offline gravkaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06:23 PM - 02/15/22 »
Yes, it would be possible to pass through our motion values, but, what isn't known is how much filtering, the type of filtering, and whether it would conflict with our filtering. It also doesn't look like there is a lot of AA in the video that you forwarded?

The news article mentions that aim assist is disabled when Gyro aiming is on. (https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/gyro-aiming-and-flick-stick-come-to-fortnite-in-v19-30-more-controller-options)

Offline JaxonH

• #GyroGamingMasterRace
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ActionJaxonH
  • PSN ID: jaxonholden
« Reply #7 on: 07:09 PM - 02/15/22 »
This is going to do wonders for gyro adoption. Between Fortnite and Horizon and a legion of Switch fans, it feels like this is the tipping point for gyro going mainstream.

Saw a TON of ppl asking why Xbox didn't get gyro aiming. Told em XIM Nexus is the only way.
CURRENTLY PLAYING
NS: 13 Sentinels, Triangle Strategy, LEGO Star Wars
PC: Monster Hunter Rise
XSX: Call of Duty Vanguard
PS5: Horizon Forbidden West, Killzone Shadowfall

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 08:31 PM - 02/15/22 »
The news article mentions that aim assist is disabled when Gyro aiming is on. (https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/gyro-aiming-and-flick-stick-come-to-fortnite-in-v19-30-more-controller-options)

Thanks for confirming. Predictions that XIM NEXUS may now be accused of "cheating" because if you use it on a game like Fortnite that has native gyro support you get AA?

Saw a TON of ppl asking why Xbox didn't get gyro aiming. Told em XIM Nexus is the only way.

Thanks!

Offline AgentSmith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12:29 AM - 02/16/22 »

Thanks for confirming. Predictions that XIM NEXUS may now be accused of "cheating" because if you use it on a game like Fortnite that has native gyro support you get AA?

Thanks!

OBsiV:
Are you in any way surprised that the Nexus is being or going to be classed as a cheating device?  it was inevitable :-)

Ignorance has no boundaries, anything different these days is classed as cheating.

My response to such accusations now will be simply tell people to play Division 2 on PC with Nexus, then play it with PS4/5 controller using REWASD to enable the PS4/5 gyro as mouse. Then ask them do they really think the Nexus is an advantage?

Yep, I am deliberately cherry picking that game for a reason.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12:45 AM - 02/16/22 »
Oh boy, the gyros of the DualSense or PS4 controller are not really good and result in lots of stutter. Plus the flick stick is a terrible mechanic in general, anything else than competitive. And on top of that you have no aim assist.

On the one hand im happy that more users will be introduced to motion aiming - which might make them get interested in Nexus too - but on the other hand this sounds like the worst way to implement this into a game and may actually make lots of users dislike the tech...
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline SpeQzz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04:25 AM - 02/16/22 »
Oh boy, the gyros of the DualSense or PS4 controller are not really good and result in lots of stutter.

That's partly why I'm wondering if you could replace your PS controller with a Nexus and get higher quality gyro.

Plus the flick stick is a terrible mechanic in general, anything else than competitive.

I disagree, flick stick gyro has the potential to displace mouse as the best input method. Mouse has the same limitations as controller to a much lesser degree, there's a trade off between being able to turn around quickly and make small precise movements, but flick stick gyro gives you both simultaneously.

The video illustrates it nicely IMO. If you see an "I'm getting shot at" marker to your right just tilt your stick in that exact direction and you're instantly facing your target.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06:41 AM - 02/16/22 »
I disagree, flick stick gyro has the potential to displace mouse as the best input method. Mouse has the same limitations as controller to a much lesser degree, there's a trade off between being able to turn around quickly and make small precise movements, but flick stick gyro gives you both simultaneously.

The video illustrates it nicely IMO. If you see an "I'm getting shot at" marker to your right just tilt your stick in that exact direction and you're instantly facing your target.

Im curious if i oversee anything here, hence i will share my opinion in a bit more detail now.

A flick stick is a nice utility feature, but nothing you would want to use in a competitive environment.
Im not saying its a bad feature, it certainly has its advantages. But its by all means no feature you would want to use in a competitive environment. For that its too inaccurate, unpredictable and gimmicky.

In 9 out of 10 cases a flick will always result in an under- or overshoot, at best you will directly be on target in 1 out of 10 flicks. And that is a very generous assumption. So in 90% of the cases you must readjust your crosshair via motion, which costs time. And depending on how instantaneous the flick is, or how much distance it covered, you must re-evaluate your surrounding with your eyes again. Doing several flicks in a row will also results in screen stutter, especially when doing several shorter flicks in quick succession.

The only advantage a flick stick has over turning with sticks is its speed. You can instantly turn. But this only applies to PC, and only when translating gyro to mouse movments. Which already comes at the cost of aim assist. On consoles however the maximum turnspeed cap will not allow a flick stick to work well.
In contrary a stick offers much more turning precision. You have full control over the exact end point at which you want to stop the turn, you can select the speed, and also the angle. All of this is not possible with a flick stick. You trade in way too many competitive precision aspects in order to use a flick stick.

As an example.
Crosshair placement is one of the most important things when talking about competitive shooters. You already want to aim into the common camping spot before turning around the corner, so that in the most optimal event you must only shoot. Every top 1% ranked player has great crosshair placement. With a flick stick this is basically impossible to have.
Or look at this video from a gyo community member. This looks anything else than competitive. I would even rate it as unpleasant to watch, not because of the displayed skill but due to the permanent flicking.

A flick stick is something i could see myself playing around with in single player games, but when using in multiplayer games i would intentionally limit my reachable skill ceiling by quite a bit. Its like running a marathon with a loaded backpack. You dont mind the backpack on a casual hiking trip, but when you want to achieve your best you certainly dont want to limit your own potential.
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline SuponjiBobu

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07:46 AM - 02/16/22 »
The way it looks in Fortnite looks much better than that Halo 2 video. Maybe because it's got native implementation?

IMO a skilled player who has been practicing with it will understand its limits and won't think unpredictable

It does look extremely off-putting for spectators, so it might be one of those things that doesn't feel as jarring if you're the one in control.
« Last Edit: 08:06 AM - 02/16/22 by SuponjiBobu »

Offline SuponjiBobu

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07:50 AM - 02/16/22 »
Predictions that XIM NEXUS may now be accused of "cheating" because if you use it on a game like Fortnite that has native gyro support you get AA?
And on top of that you have no aim assist.

Unfortunately I think this is inevitable.

This goes for most of us, but the only way you'd take away our aim-assist is if you pried it away from our cold, dead hands  :)
« Last Edit: 07:59 AM - 02/16/22 by SuponjiBobu »

Admin