XIM Community

Convert xim apex to usb 3.0 or 3.1( question from dev team)  (Read 402 times)

Offline Sam003

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Sam003
Hi, is there a way i can mod my xim apex to convert it to usb 3.0 or 3.1? Hardware modification? Or any body anyone that can do that for me?

Offline slickrick

• MVP
    • View Profile
just buy a powered 3.0 hub and hook it up. Mine works fine.

Offline Sam003

• View Profile
just buy a powered 3.0 hub and hook it up. Mine works fine.
I already have micro usb hub https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08411WQGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but Xim apex is usb 2.0 and it bottlenecks data transmission.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
A USB device can't be converted from 2.0 to 3.0.

The maximum speed of USB 2.0 is 1000Hz, which is well above the practical limitation of m/kb or controller input. USB 3.0 is up to 8000Hz (though in practice, it's much lower) and only a couple of gaming mice & keyboards can do it.

No controller is capable of running at 8000Hz, so there is no benefit to attempting to overclock XIM APEX beyond 1000Hz.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Sam003

• View Profile
A USB device can't be converted from 2.0 to 3.0.

The maximum speed of USB 2.0 is 1000Hz, which is well above the practical limitation of m/kb or controller input. USB 3.0 is up to 8000Hz (though in practice, it's much lower) and only a couple of gaming mice & keyboards can do it.

No controller is capable of running at 8000Hz, so there is no benefit to attempting to overclock XIM APEX beyond 1000Hz.

Well i have tested overclocked ds5 and it works great with PC (i9 11900k, 3080ti, 32 gb 3600mhz) on 8k hz. ( the latency measured  by ds4 windows program reads to be 0 which means leass then 0.01ms) while same controller on same oberclocked port with same wire throught xim apex with usb hub 3.1 latencybreading is 0.55-0.65 ms its clearly xim apex bottle necking the overclocking. Now before you say that 0ms and 0.65ms does not make a differemce it actually do a lot of difference as i play on 360hz , 360fps stable. Game i play mainly is fortnite (creative only, non-competitive die to ethical issues as i am using xim)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Okay, sure you doÖ:backs away slowly towards the door:

DS4Windows is not an accurate measure of USB latency. Only a USB packet analyzer, which costs tens of thousands of dollars, will perform the job.

You may be able to request packets from a DualSense at 8000Hz, but itís not responding to those requests at the same rate. Itís responding at 125Hz over USB, regardless of how many times you ask for a response. I previously thought it was 250Hz over USB (which ConsoleTuner states in their Titan Two kb), but apparently not.

If youíd like confirmation, ask OBsIV. He posted the 125Hz info a few days ago in another thread. He uses one of those expensive USB packet sniffers, not inaccurate freeware PC software, to measure request & response rates to & from a controller.

By the way, according to your figures, XIM is responding at almost 2000Hz, which just  isnít happening. Even at the USB 2.0 max of 1000Hz, thatís still 3 times faster than 360Hz / FPS and already overkill. Pushing XIM to 8000Hz wonít make any difference to how quickly the game receives input, which is seemingly 360Hz.

1000Hz is also significantly faster than actual input lag to your gaming screen, most of which run at around 60 to 120Hz (16 to 8ms). Check the input lag figures for your screen as thereís no way itís running at 360Hz, regardless of the reported FPS.

It sounds like thereís a lot of placebo effect happening in your setup. You can ask a DualSense the same question 8000 times per second, but itís only ever going to answer 8 times over USB. The other 7992 questions make no difference to the time it takes to answer.

Regardless of this discussion, to answer your original question, XIM APEX is a USB 2.0 device at the hardware level and canít be converted to USB 3.0, unless the hardware is redesigned and remanufactured.
« Last Edit: 05:25 PM - 01/19/22 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Sam003

• View Profile
Okay, sure you doÖ:backs away slowly towards the door:

DS4Windows is not an accurate measure of USB latency. Only a USB packet analyzer, which costs tens of thousands of dollars, will perform the job.

You may be able to request packets from a DualSense at 8000Hz, but itís not responding to those requests at the same rate. Itís responding at 125Hz over USB, regardless of how many times you ask for a response. I previously thought it was 250Hz over USB (which ConsoleTuner states in their Titan Two kb), but apparently not.

If youíd like confirmation, ask OBsIV. He posted the 125Hz info a few days ago in another thread. He uses one of those expensive USB packet sniffers, not inaccurate freeware PC software, to measure request & response rates to & from a controller.

By the way, according to your figures, XIM is responding at almost 2000Hz, which just  isnít happening. Even at the USB 2.0 max of 1000Hz, thatís still 3 times faster than 360Hz / FPS and already overkill. Pushing XIM to 8000Hz wonít make any difference to how quickly the game receives input, which is seemingly 360Hz.

1000Hz is also significantly faster than actual input lag to your gaming screen, most of which run at around 60 to 120Hz (16 to 8ms). Check the input lag figures for your screen as thereís no way itís running at 360Hz, regardless of the reported FPS.

It sounds like thereís a lot of placebo effect happening in your setup. You can ask a DualSense the same question 8000 times per second, but itís only ever going to answer 8 times over USB. The other 7992 questions make no difference to the time it takes to answer.

Regardless of this discussion, to answer your original question, XIM APEX is a USB 2.0 device at the hardware level and canít be converted to USB 3.0, unless the hardware is redesigned and remanufactured.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Offcourse i dont have expensive equipment to test. You might be right. I will try to dig more knto your info. Thanks again..

Admin