XIM Community

Overclocking xim via LordOfMice program ! Xim dev question !  (Read 454 times)

Offline Decreet

• View Profile
I haven't tired this my self but could this potentially better the xim experience ?? How would xim react to this ? Any ideas theories or concrete evidence on how it could possibly effect xim apex ??

https://youtu.be/dz6gRgsNDSw

Offline PotatoGamer

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Mimis
  • PSN ID: Mimis
This "overclock" is not just to increase the polling rate of the joystick? If I'm not mistaken, XB joy is by default 125hz = 8ms and PS joy 250 = 4ms, if this overclock only serves to improve response rate, this is possible to do through Xim Manager, in global settings.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
PS4 is 125Hz too. The DS4 asks to be polled at 250Hz but only sends input every other.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Decreet

• View Profile
PS4 is 125Hz too. The DS4 asks to be polled at 250Hz but only sends input every other.

So would in turn this mean that xim it's self would also increase in response time if we set these values ? Or would it just mess with xim negatively ?

Offline GOODMANEXPERT

• View Profile
I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS CROOKED LOADER if everything works fine for me through a non-original ps4 gamepad at 1000 hertz, sometimes it doesn't work through the original gamepad. ???

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
I skimmed through the video posted and it's doing what I assumed it would be doing: forcing the driver to ignore what the USB device is stating as it's required polling rate. Unsurprisingly, the video doesn't show anything about confirming the results using a USB analyzer.

Here is a lesson about USB devices -- all communcation with the host (in this case the console or PC) is done through hardware and is disconnected from the act of producing new input. Think of it like a mailbox and you check your mailbox every day. Sometimes there will be mail in there and sometimes not. If you check your mailbox more often, that isn't going to change how often you get mail.

The the exact same thing as what I said above about the DS4. You can ask it for input as much as you want, but, it'll only reply with input every 8ms. If you use this thing to force the PC to ask at 1000Hz (1ms), it'll still only report input every 8ms (all other times the hardware will "NAK" -- which means it doesn't have anything to send). So, in the end, you still will be receiving input as fast as the device decides to send it. And you don't know what devices actually do unless you put it under a USB protocol analzyer and look.

Offline The prodigy

• MVP
    • View Profile
I tried the overclock and it doesn't look like it works.  Still polling at 8ms like a normal Xbox One controller.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
That's because an Xbox controller reports input every 8ms. You telling it to go faster won't do anything. :)

Offline Oskool

• View Profile
I tried the overclock and it doesn't look like it works.  Still polling at 8ms like a normal Xbox One controller.

What program you use to see polling rates in bottom picture?

Offline Decreet

• View Profile
I skimmed through the video posted and it's doing what I assumed it would be doing: forcing the driver to ignore what the USB device is stating as it's required polling rate. Unsurprisingly, the video doesn't show anything about confirming the results using a USB analyzer.

Here is a lesson about USB devices -- all communcation with the host (in this case the console or PC) is done through hardware and is disconnected from the act of producing new input. Think of it like a mailbox and you check your mailbox every day. Sometimes there will be mail in there and sometimes not. If you check your mailbox more often, that isn't going to change how often you get mail.

The the exact same thing as what I said above about the DS4. You can ask it for input as much as you want, but, it'll only reply with input every 8ms. If you use this thing to force the PC to ask at 1000Hz (1ms), it'll still only report input every 8ms (all other times the hardware will "NAK" -- which means it doesn't have anything to send). So, in the end, you still will be receiving input as fast as the device decides to send it. And you don't know what devices actually do unless you put it under a USB protocol analzyer and look.

That's exactly the response I was looking for thanks very much ! Lots of info and a great new understanding for xim

Offline The prodigy

• MVP
    • View Profile
What program you use to see polling rates in bottom picture?

https://github.com/chrizonix/XInputTest

Offline Oskool

• View Profile
Thanks!

Offline Sam003

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Sam003
I have used ds4 and ds5 overclocked controllers for almost 2 years. Ds5 is best. I get 0.5ms with xim. Xim being usb 2.0 bottle neck the controller response. I wish there is a way to conbert xim apex to usb 3.0 or higher.

Offline Sam003

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Sam003
I have used ds4 and ds5 overclocked controllers for almost 2 years. Ds5 is best. I get 0.5ms with xim. Xim being usb 2.0 bottle neck the controller response. I wish there is a way to conbert xim apex to usb 3.0 or higher.
And by the way it does not oberclock xim bit the port it connected to and it makes a lot of difference. I have done testing a year ago and after overclockimg i use to jold my walls in fortnite.