XIM Community

Potential Solution for people who don't have their PC near their console  (Read 1370 times)

Offline neemz

• View Profile
Hey guys,

I realise that there are a lot of people who don't want to be having to run their computer to use their XIM while playing. Some don't like the noise, location or the electricity that it uses up.

So I was wondering if one of these products would do the job.

http://www.norhtec.com/products/index.html

Basically they are tiny x86 compatible computers that cost about $200, they have USB ports, VGA, PS/2 etc. So I was thinking with a tweak of the software you could setup a cut down windows on it (get rid of explorer shell) and run a special version of the XIM software on it.

Seeing as it takes a memory card you could plug the card into your main PC to setup configurations etc and then plug it into one of these with your XIM attached. You could even connect a monitor to it and configure it that way. Which would be great for people who have a TV that can accept multiple inputs. You could switch your TV to VGA mode, tweak your XIM, then switch back to your game :)

What do you think guys?

Administrator

LOL, that is awesome, i have never seen anything like this before.

interesting.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Wow, the cheapest one is only $85! This is a nice find.

An issue I see is the XIM client would need to be ported to it. I guess it would have to be Linux? Plus, there would need to be driver support for the hardware people would want to use (i.e. gaming mice and keyboards).

Also, looks like it doesn't have a floating-point unit -- which is an issue, but, less so than the client port.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline neemz

• View Profile
They are all x86 compatible so they will all run windows. Although the cheapest one is about the speed of an early pentium so probably wouldn't be suitable unless you install a cut down copy of win98 on it.