XIM Community

XIM NEXUS roll camera  (Read 767 times)

Offline Memania44

• View Profile
XIM NEXUS roll camera
« on: 12:43 PM - 11/28/21 »
Hi, I hope this reaches OBsIV. I was recently chatting with LITHE through YouTube comments and had asked about the option to roll the controller as opposed to using yaw to rotate the camera. The Nexus is looking VERY exciting, but he told me that the roll option had been removed after apps alpha testing.. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but for me rolling the controller is the only way I can use gyro to look. Yaw feels very unnatural for me and wears on my wrists VERY rapidly. I know the controller isn't being made for me, but if this option isn't available then I'll have to forgo purchasing. I think gyro/motion controls are the future of gaming, and so far every emulator that utilizes gyro allows for roll, but I would LOVE a controller that I can hook up to any system and use gyro. OBsIV, can we PLEASE get this was an option for the final release?
« Last Edit: 01:18 PM - 11/28/21 by OBsIV »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: XIM NEXUS roll camera
« Reply #1 on: 02:07 PM - 11/28/21 »
Welcome to the community and thanks for the suggestion. I just made a quick change to remind myself how that felt and to be honest it's hard for me to imagine this being something many people would use. I was thinking more along accessibility reasons, but, for that I'm not sure as well.

I'd like to understand your scenario a little more. What controllers are you using right now with roll for horiztontal aim? Something about NEXUS that I'm not sure if is similar to what you are using right now is that it's designed to minimize physical movement while remaining fast and precise. For example, when I use it, the controller is resting on my lap and I barely need to move it. For horizontal aim, I'm not moving my wrists, just my forearms to pull the controllers side to side. Is that how you are gaming right now? 
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Memania44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:48 PM - 11/28/21 »
Hi and thank you for the quick reply!

Currently, I've used the ds4, XB1 with the Brook X one adapter, and the switch pro, all with roll for horizontal aiming. I mostly use the switch pro controller for the joystick arrangement and non-analog triggers.

I sit with the controller in my lap or with my arms toward my knees if I'm leaving forward, which I usually do. I set the left trigger to activate gyro and roll the controller using my wrists, so I don't have to use my arms. Rotating up and down of course feels natural, but using yaw doesn't work well with my wrists, especially when the wrist has to pull back towards my forearm. I've found that twisting my wrist, using roll for horizontal aim, felt much much better, over using the controller to "point" to where I want to aim. I hope I've illustrated this properly for you. For me, rolling means less overall movement.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 03:15 PM - 11/28/21 »
Thanks. What software are you using to map the DS4 to standard controller input?

Offline Memania44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:33 PM - 11/28/21 »
ds4windows tends to work the best for me.

Offline AgentSmith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01:27 AM - 11/29/21 »
Just to chime in a little here.  Experience from using Steam and REWASD trying both methods.

The use of Roll for side to side more emulates the movement of the top of a stick, It is the default setting on REWASD.
Some people might prefer it.

I have to agree, sometimes the YAW motion makes my wrists ache when playing intense shooting games, but that is probably because of my preferred method of using the gyro which means I will rotate the controller about 45* in either direction, that's a lot of wrist movement.
But I still by far prefer the YAW motion to the ROLL motion for shooters.

Driving games however Roll is my preferred method by far.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 01:32 AM - 11/29/21 »
I went ahead and added it today to the build. It's called "Tilt for horizonal aim".

Offline AgentSmith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01:52 AM - 11/29/21 »
 ;D

Offline Heresy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03:34 AM - 11/29/21 »
It's conversations like this that make me love the XIM and the people involved in it :)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #9 on: 03:35 AM - 11/29/21 »
I went ahead and added it today to the build. It's called "Tilt for horizonal aim".
When will this FW drop be available?

Any thoughts from the community about how to handle a game like Rocket League?

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Online LITHE

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • Instagram @gregrosolowski
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Kent C Strait
« Reply #10 on: 04:45 AM - 11/29/21 »
It's conversations like this that make me love the XIM and the people involved in it :)

I feel exactly the same, which is why I'm so strongly involved in it 🙂

Offline AgentSmith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:58 AM - 11/29/21 »

I can fire up rocket league on PC tonight with PS controller to see if I cant get anything working from Steam overlay that would be useful.
I've never played the game though, is there some kind of training/learning mode ?

I am currently trying to figure out what would be the purpose of the Gyro in a game like rocket league, but, I guess as I have only seen video's of the game I will never realize unless I play it.

I'll see what I can work out in my way then hopefully it can be used in future Nexus updates.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #12 on: 11:40 AM - 11/29/21 »

I'm not familiar with the input method of Rocket League, but, keep in mind that this feature, as it is right now, simply uses roll instead of yaw for turning. It doesn't act like steering (i.e. holds the stick as you tilt). A steering wheel type input can be added later though.

Offline Memania44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05:00 PM - 12/01/21 »

Thank you OBsIV! I'll be preordering as soon as it's available!