XIM Community

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro question?  (Read 145 times)

Offline Boonersooner

• View Profile
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro question?
« on: 08:05 PM - 11/23/21 »
So I have beening reading alot of Alan's post (amg) and he says go with mayflower arc mk2 and Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro for sound whoring in cod.. but I came into a problem lol which one do I get the 80ohm or the 250 ohm? I don't know which will be better for gaming!?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro question?
« Reply #1 on: 09:23 PM - 11/23/21 »
If we're being 100% honest, next-gen console controller audio with 3.5mm headphones & mic, with the Dolby Atmos app on top on Xbox consoles, or the 3D Audio settings on a DualSense controller, will well and truly be enough for sound-whoring.

It will get you 95% of the way to a high-end AMP/DAC solution with nowhere near the expense. I kid you not - I use a Creative X7 which is the duck's nut for gaming AMP/DACs, and the audio cues are arguably better with controller audio on PS5 and Series X.

For sound-whoring purposes, you want to knock out low-end frequencies like explosions. Controller audio comes up shorter than dedicated AMPs in this respect, but that works in its favour by dampening the bass and pulling up the treble.

AMG will argue that stereo is better for audio cues, but that can be configured by simply swapping from Atmos to Stereo output, or setting a flat soundstage in 3D Audio. I'd rather have the option for 3D audio cues than not.

There is no need to spend $500 to $1000 USD on a console audio sound-whoring setup. A pair of high-quality, affordable and robust cans with a basic mic is all you need. I highly recommend Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 cans with a V-Moda Boom Pro mic, which should cost $150 USD or thereabout combined.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline TurboMan

• View Profile
Re: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro question?
« Reply #2 on: 07:41 AM - 11/24/21 »
I use the DT 990 Pros on CoD with a Mixamp and honestly they're not all that. No better than most other higher tier gaming headsets.