XIM Community

Xbox 360 RIP  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Jedimaster1

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Jedimasterone1
  • PSN ID: SithLord5577
Xbox 360 RIP
« on: 10:16 PM - 02/16/11 »
So excited having my XIM 3 that I purchased CoD:BO for it and was about to get all the map packs for MW2. But alas, the dreaded 3-rings of death crept up and took the life of my Xbox. Now my XIM will be collecting dust and only come out to play various PS3 games until my 360 is resurrected by the Microsoft Repair Center. Oh may you rest in peace for the fourth time my 360. Oh the quality. Puts the pyramids of giza to shame.  >:(

Offline username

• View Profile
Re: Xbox 360 RIP
« Reply #1 on: 10:19 PM - 02/16/11 »
So excited having my XIM 3 that I purchased CoD:BO for it and was about to get all the map packs for MW2. But alas, the dreaded 3-rings of death crept up and took the life of my Xbox. Now my XIM will be collecting dust and only come out to play various PS3 games until my 360 is resurrected by the Microsoft Repair Center. Oh may you rest in peace for the fourth time my 360. Oh the quality. Puts the pyramids of giza to shame.  >:(

For the 4th time?! wow.  Try overheating it before you send it in (towel trick)

Or use the X clamp fix, really easy, get some "arctic silver 5" few bolts and washers some thermal fluid remover (or 99% rubbing alcohol) some Q tips and fix it :) costs $10<

Offline Bizzar1

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Bizzar1
« Reply #2 on: 10:36 PM - 02/16/11 »
He can't. If it's going to ms for repairs then it must be under warranty or under an extended warranty due to previous repairs. Besides the towel trick makes it worse and the xclamp is just a bandaid. The problem lies in a crack or a bridged solder joint. The latter usually only happens after an attempted diy fix. If anything I think after the 3 repair for the same problem he is entitled to a full replacement of a newer updated model or a refund (usually partial) under the electronics lemonlaw. For a $150 console, none of the options are worth it in the long run. 
"Surely there must be something you can do."
"I'm doing everything I can... and stop calling me Shirley!"

Offline huyrawr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:49 PM - 02/16/11 »
wait that stupid towel tricks work?

I thought that was a joke to make people kill their xbox...

Offline Lurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:52 PM - 02/16/11 »
wow someone recommending the towel trick and the old crappy xclamp fix.  Just look up a reflow service and pay them to do a reflow and you'll be golden.  The other methods are crap, not to mention more likely to cause more damage (towel) or be irreversible.
lol, i consider the internet like xbox live.  If i'm not saying i had sex with your mom i have to be calling you stupid :)

Offline Bizzar1

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Bizzar1
« Reply #5 on: 10:57 PM - 02/16/11 »
Reflow is also a temp fix. The gpu needs to be reballed. The lead free solder ms used in building the xbox has a poor melting temp and can become brittle. That's why they rrod. From a crack in the solder joint. Reballing replaces the solder with a higher melting point. Then there's that whole crappy cooling design it has. Nice spot for a DVD drive eh?

(psst, this might be in the wrong section)
"Surely there must be something you can do."
"I'm doing everything I can... and stop calling me Shirley!"

Offline MaXKiLLz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:00 PM - 02/16/11 »
That's why i bought mine at costco. Unlimited return policy. Returned three already. Each one was about 11 months old.

Offline Brutis

• View Profile
    • Brutis.net
« Reply #7 on: 11:16 PM - 02/16/11 »
RROD carries a 3yr warranty with Microsoft.  Get them to fix it, turn around time is usually 2 weeks.
XIM1 - Check
XIM2 - Check
XIM3 - Check!

Offline ratsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:22 PM - 02/16/11 »
Mine is doing the "open tray" thing.  Anyone know a real fix for it?

I found  a few on you tube, slamming the tray works but it gets annoying every time.   My xbox is prob 4 years old and I never had any problems with it and I know I got lucky because I have friends who have had 3 go bad.  This is all the old white style ones.  The new black one is prob guud to go.

Any helps with the open tray would be appreciated, I get tired of slamming it or banging on top of it to align the @#$% laser beam.

Offline Masta Chief HD

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: MASTA CHIEF HD
« Reply #9 on: 12:05 AM - 02/17/11 »

do you keep your xbox in a enclosed space? like a wall unit or something if so IMO I would advise against it. 

They call me Chief.

Offline U8Y

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12:06 AM - 02/17/11 »
Xbox is dead eh? I recommend a reflow and an xclamp fix if your not under warranty. If you can though do an entire reball or just send it to microsoft.

Offline Spoony

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12:13 AM - 02/17/11 »
for the fourth time
find a different place to plug in your xbox some wall plugs put out too much juice and over time cause the red ring of death. This may be your problem

Offline Jedimaster1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02:15 AM - 02/17/11 »

do you keep your xbox in a enclosed space? like a wall unit or something if so IMO I would advise against it. 

No, always out in the open. Learned that after my friends began to fry.

Let my clarify, fourth as a result of owning two xboxs (one twice and this one this is my second replacement on my elite), although one I gave away so I am left with none now. But oh well, sent it to MS and hopefully this is the last time I have to deal with them. Nonetheless, I don't have it too bad. I had a friend who replaced 7 of his original xbox. Now that sucked!

Offline Jedimaster1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02:16 AM - 02/17/11 »
for the fourth time
find a different place to plug in your xbox some wall plugs put out too much juice and over time cause the red ring of death. This may be your problem
Have it on a powerstrip just to protect it. Thx for the advice though.

Offline Jedimaster1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02:21 AM - 02/17/11 »
Btw all, sorry to vent. I know it has no place here. Just a bit frustrated and sad for the reason that I was looking forward to a long weekend of using my XIM3. Plus I was emailed the stupid UPS label to print and the link isn't working. So I am frustrated and going to have to call India... I mean MS... tomorrow in order to get the shipping label straight so I can send it off. The quicker the better.

But thanks for the empathy. I needed it ;) Have a good week all.

Admin