XIM Community

[RESOLVED] Oct. Controller Update:Devices non-functional until hard reboot of X1  (Read 504 times)

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Thanks for all the troubleshooting you've done for us. I'm came in late so sorry for repeating any questions, but, if you plug in your controller directly into your XIM APEX and plug that into your console, you always see the green lights and your controller turns on and is fully functional -- and, you see all the button presses in Manager?

I just updated one of my controllers (Series X) to 5.11.3118.0 and had no issues with it. This is on XIM NEXUS. I'll try out XIM APEX too, but, they use the same drivers.
« Last Edit: 10:59 PM - 11/22/21 by OBsIV »
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline AltF4

• int main(char** args)
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com
Thanks for all the troubleshooting you've done for us. I'm came in late so sorry for repeating any questions, but, if you plug in your controller directly into your XIM APEX and plug that into your console, you always see the green lights and your controller turns on and is fully functional -- and, you see all the button presses in Manager?

I just updated one of my controllers (Series X) to 5.11.3118.0 and had no issues with it. This is on XIM NEXUS. I'll try out XIM APEX too, but, they use the same drivers.

I'm happy to answer any and all as many times, or test any debug builds as needed :D

Yes to all:
- I always see the green lights, and the controller is indeed always functional whether plugged into the XIM, or  unplugged and plugged into the console directly ( & the manager reports all devices connected & input is seen, despite not forwarded / simulated)
- All input is "eaten" other than a button bound to Guide (Ex: Backspace), despite all input always being reported on the XIM GUI in the iOS manager app; unless of course I have impeccable timing to get the [more-than-1 but less-than-4] controller-only Guide taps 100% accurate (a 10% or less liklihood).
- From the sidenote note: This new Series S controller doesn't allow me to do the Guide tap bypass at all without the controller update, given reattempts and power-cycles for the past 1hr (I haven't updated for possible ability to test more if you need me to, or we go back a beta version), so not sure if that's a current firmware limitation or what, whereby its expecting the controller update, and no un-updated controllers work any longer. If you want me to test the prior Beta version, welcome to send a link if so.

Re your Nexus: That is indeed strange with it being the same driver and same controller firmware. I would assume more people would be complaining (hence my initial week+ long hesitancy to post, not seeing the forums blow up with this, only here-and-there)  unless they just never turn off their Xbox, unplug XIM, or loose power, (or they tap Guide once and it always works ?!), but then again I am seeing people in this Support forum whom have done the Beta update which it didn't resolve; and others in my case.

I also wonder if there could be some issue with the XIM Apex hardware itself + in combination with this controller update (no issues until all this went down and I updated the controller... stupidly with the controller plugged into the XIM during its first flash... but this is the controller that still works, unless that harmed XIM Apex in some way always require precise Guide taps forever upon power loss) ...or has the hardware always remained the same?
I just dont know, because when it works, it continues to work flawlessly, even now on this Series S, with my old Xbox One firmware-updated controller, so long as I got the timing absolutely correct, and retrying the procedure until it "just works".

If it helps, I welcome receiving over some spare Apex unit if you want me to test that one with both of these consoles and both of these controllers via those consoles, in each combination, and let you know directly. I mean mine is currently held together with hot glue given the number of plugs and unplugs with the usb sleeve coming out, but like I said, it works as well as it has since day 1, other than with this whole controller-update fiasco, in which it worked each day, making the nag-screen go away, until I caved, and regrettably updated, ahhh.
« Last Edit: 01:59 AM - 11/23/21 by AltF4 »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Can you pease update your Series S controller and try that? I just updated mine to latest Xbox controller FW and tried on a XIM APEX with the Beta and everything worked 5/5 times.

Offline AltF4

• int main(char** args)
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com
Can you pease update your Series S controller and try that? I just updated mine to latest Xbox controller FW and tried on a XIM APEX with the Beta and everything worked 5/5 times.

Hey! What do ya knowÖ! Itís good!
So this whole thing was a controller issue! Holy crap.
Could it be I screwed up some sort of recognition of authorization by the initial flash being within the Apex at first?

Itís surprising that:
- reflashes (force update) didnít work ó tells me there is an inherent problem itself with the controller compat with XIM, but only after this update
- the controllers operation always works flawlessly
- the controllers operation always continued to work if timing the taps at an exact time.

I donít know what to make of it other than good riddance to that controller! What a wild goose chase. Heck Iíll send you this controller for the future good of XIM if you needed haha!
Canít thank you both enough. I guess I would have eventually updated or got a 3rd controller as a Guinea pig and then discover this, but itís still a bit of definition of insanity :P.

Iíll stick around this topic if yíall have any other questions or tests. But quite happy it works by simply: new controller + update NOT plugged into XIM, and then #Win.
Have a great thanksgiving and holidays ahead yíall.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Well, we aren't convinced yet that it's an actual controller issue. Can you please tell us the model number of the controller that isn't working? Also, what it looks like (or even a picture)? Does it have an audio jack?

Offline AltF4

• int main(char** args)
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com
Well, we aren't convinced yet that it's an actual controller issue. Can you please tell us the model number of the controller that isn't working? Also, what it looks like (or even a picture)? Does it have an audio jack?

Your pictures kind sir :-) .. that BUTLR voice must be getting to me in infinite lol
https://m.imgur.com/a/ODGcQGQ

Model = 1708
Standard Microsoft Xbox One controller
Purchased sometimes in 2016 or 2017 since the one with the Xbox One didnít have an Aux port (this does)

Iíll note that while Iíve obviously needed a different cable (USB-C) for this XSS controller, I tried a multitude of high quality micro USB cables with the other controller; but again this is after it working for ages until the controller firmware update. And the Apex always saw the controller anyway; with shown correct input simulation in thr GUI. Further, if the guide tap timing was very accurate then no issues until that next power loss of Apex (tested with both batteries in and batteries out of the controller without difference). So causation is really hard to say but I donít think it was cable based unless the firmware update decided to really fiddle with how input travels across micro USB cables until the Guide algorithm. Also of note itís not usb-port specific nor console-specific as when this controller was leveraged the same way into into the Apex but Apex plugged into XSS instead of XBOne the same behavior was experienced with it eating input post Apex powerloss, until the correct tapping was performed at exactly the right time.

As a regression test, I just now put this new XSS usb-C firmware-updated controller (Model 1914) into XIM instead of of the the firmware-updated problematic 1708 model, and put the XIM into the old Xbox OneÖ and it works without Guide taps. So indeed that furthers the finding that this is some sort of combination of the older 1708 model controller + new controller firmware update  5.11.3118.0 + beta XIM firmware (which is probably is necessary to support these FW updates)
« Last Edit: 02:03 PM - 11/23/21 by AltF4 »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
It looks like the controller firmware can be reverted, does this help?

1) Unplug XIM
2) Open Xbox Assist from games & apps
3) Get Help (top left)
4) Console & Accessories > Controller > My controller has connection issues after the last update > Check controller firmware > Revert firmware

If this allows the controller to be used with your XIM again you should be able to reapply the latest update with XIM disconnected.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
I verified with a 1708 with latest controller FW along with the APEX Beta works without any issue (including no need to press the Guide button).

I was testing on my XSX. Could it be the difference of console? Should we try this on an original X1?

Offline AltF4

• int main(char** args)
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com
It looks like the controller firmware can be reverted, does this help?

1) Unplug XIM
2) Open Xbox Assist from games & apps
3) Get Help (top left)
4) Console & Accessories > Controller > My controller has connection issues after the last update > Check controller firmware > Revert firmware

If this allows the controller to be used with your XIM again you should be able to reapply the latest update with XIM disconnected.

RESOLVED

Wow, that was deep. How did you find that? Reverting the controller firmware (so it isn't one way!) the controller instantly works as it always had in the XIM (fyi -- this is testing with this problematic controller that all this originally started with, and with the Xbox One, not on the new XSS), so that is amazing, that such is possible, and that old controller firmware still works with the latest XIM Apex Beta Firmware.

Then proceeded to apply the update (even tho one could stop here and just deal with the nag-screen)...
After the controller update (plugged into the Xbox specifically) I at first could not get the 4x green Authentication lights at all, but after a power cycle, the controller works AS IT ALWAYS HAS, with the LATEST firmware.

So I guess this entire thing is the result of updating the controller when plugged into XIM! WOW.
And this sir, is the fix. To revert (and choose to either leave it... OR update from here WITH the controller properly plugged in).

I'm sorry y'all for this goose chase. This thread needs to be pointed to in the future like *Bad things will happen if you don't plug in the controller directly* THANK YOU! I guess I got a new xbox out of it, which I may keep now, lol!
« Last Edit: 03:01 PM - 11/24/21 by AltF4 »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
I didn't know that it was possible until today. They hide it well. I'm glad to hear that helped. :)
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline AltF4

• int main(char** args)
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com
I didn't know that it was possible until today. They hide it well. I'm glad to hear that helped. :)

Amazing indeed! I never knew this app actually ďdidĒ anything purposeful

Offline Game_Ov3r

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: l Game Ov3r l
Revert the firmware:
Open Xbox Assist
Console & Accessories > Controller > My controller has connection issues after the last update > Check controller firmware > Revert firmware

I've tested everything else. This was the only fix.

Offline AltF4

• int main(char** args)
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com
Revert the firmware:
Open Xbox Assist
Console & Accessories > Controller > My controller has connection issues after the last update > Check controller firmware > Revert firmware

I've tested everything else. This was the only fix.

Yep exactly!!

Admin