Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Halo Infinite ST!!
« Reply #30 on: 06:39 PM - 11/20/21 »
I got word back from mist4fun. I think the game notes weren't quoted correctly here. The correct definition for it is: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/qvn3vr/the_ultimate_guide_to_halo_infinite_controller/

0 is the best value for this setting for XIM.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09:37 PM - 11/20/21 »
I got word back from mist4fun. I think the game notes weren't quoted correctly here. The correct definition for it is: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/qvn3vr/the_ultimate_guide_to_halo_infinite_controller/

0 is the best value for this setting for XIM.

This is stated exactly as it is shown in game.  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgLKGMVNs4_Ygr4aoKtDWIzMPSdn_A

Also, per https://www.gamesradar.com/halo-infinite-controller-settings/:

Max Input Threshold determines how much you need to tilt your look stick to reach the highest level of input which, in this case, is how quickly you turn. Setting it to zero means you must tilt the stick all the way to one side to reach the highest turning speed, so youíll keep your slower and more controllable aim even if you move the stick around quite a lot.

Given it's near impossible to hit and stay at "max" stick threshold with a mouse, I would assume you'd want less mouse movement to hit that threshold for this particular purpose, thus 15 is the better option. <shrug>  All I know is the game feels like I turn much faster at 15 than I do with 0.
« Last Edit: 09:55 PM - 11/20/21 by mcdonamw »
XIM Apex | XSX | Huntsman TE | G502 LightSpeed | Artisan ShidenKai

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09:40 PM - 11/20/21 »
Maybe mist can test it regardless and let us know if it makes a difference or not. That way we can move on with 100% certainty! :)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline Darkest Inferno

• Dom Baker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11:13 AM - 11/21/21 »
I can also confirm that setting that option at its highest value is faster than 0. Maybe mist  could just revisit it and test if training it on that setting would overall help?
Former halo 2/3 competitor just trying to win one game at a time :) main games used to be halo 2/3 but now are red dead redemption 2 and fortnite. Now mostly play on PS4 as well.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #34 on: 11:20 AM - 11/21/21 »
Given it's near impossible to hit and stay at "max" stick threshold with a mouse, I would assume you'd want less mouse movement to hit that threshold for this particular purpose, thus 15 is the better option. <shrug>  All I know is the game feels like I turn much faster at 15 than I do with 0.

I assume you are seeing the red max turn speed light. That means you are pegging the stick. It likely feels faster because you are hitting the timed acceleration part of the aim system faster.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09:32 PM - 11/21/21 »

I assume you are seeing the red max turn speed light. That means you are pegging the stick. It likely feels faster because you are hitting the timed acceleration part of the aim system faster.

Ill have to test to verify but that is possible.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11:27 AM - 11/22/21 »
Max Input Threshold removes the end of the acceleration curve to allow controller players to reach the end of the mechanic sooner. This is meant to fix an issue called "slow turn" where the player cannot fully peg the analog stick in some directions due to the controller shell preventing it, which results in a slower turn speed. Some players used to sand this area of the shell to fix the problem, this setting is the built in digital solution. Search this on youtube for examples.

The setting doesn't increase the turn speed limit and by removing a portion of the curve it negatively affects look movement for us XIM players. If you like this setting you can continue to use it or you can use a ballistics curve where the last few positions of the curve are set to 100% for the same effect.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02:48 PM - 11/22/21 »
Max Input Threshold removes the end of the acceleration curve to allow controller players to reach the end of the mechanic sooner. This is meant to fix an issue called "slow turn" where the player cannot fully peg the analog stick in some directions due to the controller shell preventing it, which results in a slower turn speed. Some players used to sand this area of the shell to fix the problem, this setting is the built in digital solution. Search this on youtube for examples.

The setting doesn't increase the turn speed limit and by removing a portion of the curve it negatively affects look movement for us XIM players. If you like this setting you can continue to use it or you can use a ballistics curve where the last few positions of the curve are set to 100% for the same effect.

So when 343 wrote specifically in the game that "higher value reduces slow turn" that they are actually talking about a physical limitation of controllers?   That sounds very far fetched.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03:48 PM - 11/22/21 »
***Edit for verbosity***

I understand what you're saying.  I just don't agree that this is what this setting is meant for, even though it does indeed provide benefit to those experiencing that slow turn issue. 

At any rate, after spending some more time testing this, I've come to the conclusion that this setting is nothing more than an in-game analogue to the XIM ballistic curve.  To allow users to reach faster turn speeds with less movement on the sticks. 

This, IMO, is the real reason for the setting and really falls in line with its in-game description, though they could have been more descriptive to avoid ambiguity.   

TL;DR Max turn speed is not affected in anyway.   Instead the path to MAX is accelerated so you can hit max speed quicker with less input on the sticks.  The only faster turning you get is smaller movements because they are being accelerated from their default values. 

Ultimately I am now in agreement that that retraining would make no beneficial difference here.
« Last Edit: 04:31 PM - 11/22/21 by mcdonamw »

Offline AltF4

• int main(char** args)
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com
« Reply #40 on: 05:58 PM - 11/22/21 »
***Edit for verbosity***

I understand what you're saying.  I just don't agree that this is what this setting is meant for, even though it does indeed provide benefit to those experiencing that slow turn issue. 

At any rate, after spending some more time testing this, I've come to the conclusion that this setting is nothing more than an in-game analogue to the XIM ballistic curve.  To allow users to reach faster turn speeds with less movement on the sticks. 

This, IMO, is the real reason for the setting and really falls in line with its in-game description, though they could have been more descriptive to avoid ambiguity.   

TL;DR Max turn speed is not affected in anyway.   Instead the path to MAX is accelerated so you can hit max speed quicker with less input on the sticks.  The only faster turning you get is smaller movements because they are being accelerated from their default values. 

Ultimately I am now in agreement that that retraining would make no beneficial difference here.

Maybe a developer from 343 can take a minute and explain if we tweet one?

Offline xyphonic

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12:07 AM - 11/23/21 »
Just played around with the ST for the first time and I know this sounds wrong, but try slow sync. It gives me wicked turn speed.

In game settings: XIM recommended
Mouse: 1600DPI, 1000Hz
Apex: Sync: Slow, Hip: 33, Smoothing: 1, ADS: 22

I play with arm aim on a big mousepad (I use 400dpi on PC), and this ST on slow sync feels oddly close to using a mouse on PC with raw input. Itís closer than Im used to getting to 1:1 with XIM and my target tracking is like a magnet. Iím still going to design a light curve to smooth the transition into turn acceleration, but aside from that part Iím actually really happy with this. I felt like a monster in-game tonight and I donít even know the maps yet.

Maybe itís because this is the first game Iíve played on my new Series X (I played on PS5 since launch, PS4 and PS4 Pro before that) or maybe itís because this is the first Halo Iíve played since 4 (what were we using back then? XIM Edge?) but this ST feels very different than what Iím used to. Generally I use the exact settings above, but with Default Sync and that feels perfect in most STs for me. On this ST the turn speed was super slow with Default and slowed to a crawl with sync set to Off. Even with the XIM Hip sens turned up to like 80, which is higher than Iíve ever used going back to the original XIMs, I couldnít get the turn speed anywhere near as fast as it is now with Sync set to Slow.

edit: I forgot to add, THANK YOU mist for another excellent ST and THANK YOU OBsIV for making this wonderful device that works seamlessly between two entirely different platforms. All I did was plug my Apex into the Series X, create a new ST, and I was off to the races, wireless Nav controller and all. You guys rule!
« Last Edit: 12:13 AM - 11/23/21 by xyphonic »
XIM Apex | XSX | PS5 | G303 Shroud Edition | PS Nav | JDS Atom DAC⇢Subjective3⇢Atom Amp⇢SHP9500

Offline AltF4

• int main(char** args)
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com
« Reply #42 on: 02:10 AM - 11/23/21 »
Just to briefly share mine which is working great for me. It's not a fluid as Halo 5 was, but it works!

- Halo Infinite ST (obviously).
- All XIM in-game settings as per recommended by the ST - https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=43775.0#post_X1144
- G502 mouse (any) set to 12,000 DPI. (just been using this DPI successfully for a while w/ H5, so I'm sticking with it to be consistent, for any new mouse w/ onboard Mem as well)
- Weights in mouse more on Front & Back for slightly heavier aim, but no weights on the L or R sides.
- Hard surface corsair gaming mouse "pad"

XIM settings:
- 3.75 Sensitivity combined with this 12k DPI + Synchronize setting = Common. This was the magic sauce sensitivity that OBsIV used for Halo 5 and I still enjoy since 2017 (but there had added Smoothing = 5... trying that here seems OK, but moreso personal preference)
- All other settings default (No Curve, Everything 0, other than Y/X Raito = 1 as default)

[ Weapon Zooms ]

Zooms I am still working thru.Thus far these are good:
1.4x (pistols, needler) = 1.0 (default), instead of the recommended 2.0 by XIM Settings
2.5x  (BR) = 1.5, which I find comfortable for the BR
3.0 -- STILL TBD
5.0 (snipe zoom 1) = 1.0 (default) instead of the recommended 2.0 by XIM Settings
6.0 -- STILL TBD
10.0x -- STILL TBD

For reference here are what guns the Zooms affect:
   Zoom : Weapon list - https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/qx900n/list_of_weapons_and_their_zoom_levels/

1.4x - Sidekick, Sentinel Beam, Ravager, Pulse Carbine, Plasma Pistol, Needler, Mangler, Assault Rifle, M41 Spankr, Disruptor, Bulldog
      Cindershot - 1.4x zoom - only weapon thatís alternate fire kicks in when zoomed in - the projectiles become guided by your aim

2.5x - BR75, Commando (the scope is 2.0x but it falls into this category in the sensitivity settings)

3.0x - Stalker rifle (zoom level 1), Skewer (zoom level 1), Shock Rifle

5.0x - S7 Sniper (zoom level 1), Skewer (zoom level 2)

6.0x - Stalker Rifle (zoom level 2)

10x - S7 Sniper (zoom level 2)

« Last Edit: 02:15 AM - 11/23/21 by AltF4 »

Offline Bakbanaan

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: xzoR93
« Reply #43 on: 10:25 AM - 11/23/21 »
I have a really stupid question, but i don't see the Halo: Infinite config appearing when i try to add a new config. I use the most recent version of the manager (625) on iOS. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks!

Offline AltF4

• int main(char** args)
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com
« Reply #44 on: 12:12 PM - 11/23/21 »
I have a really stupid question, but i don't see the Halo: Infinite config appearing when i try to add a new config. I use the most recent version of the manager (625) on iOS. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks!

Ensure you upgrade your XIM Apex to the latest BETA Firmware, and then opt into the iOS TestFlight Beta manager, just to rule out any issues.

It should then prompt you for a download of new ďgamesĒ to the manager itself which can then apply it to Apex