XIM Community

So why this over XIM Apex?  (Read 768 times)

Offline OhBlivEeUn

• View Profile
So why this over XIM Apex?
« on: 10:11 PM - 11/15/21 »
I got used to XIM and use it almost exclusively for shooting games, but this controller looks professional. Could I use it on the Switch?

What makes this so special versus a SCUF or Elite Controller as an Xbox player? Not trying to be rude but just trying to learn more.
Be careful when taking advice, not everyone is qualified to give it. Make your own conclusions. XIM user since 2011

Offline Heresy

• View Profile
Re: So why this over XIM Apex?
« Reply #1 on: 03:32 PM - 11/16/21 »
The ability to tilt the controller to make small adjustments to your aim.

I've used the XIM 360 and XIM 4 as I prefer mouse and keyboard, but it's a pain in the arse to set up if you just want to loaf on the couch and play.

I was thinking the other month how annoying it is that the you can't tilt the xbox controller to correct your aim (as I have potato aim on a controller). I then ended up checking the xim forums a few weeks later to find they're going to remove the barrier I have to console FPS, and now I'm checking every day waiting for news of a release date :)

I don't know about using this on the Switch though.
« Last Edit: 09:41 AM - 11/17/21 by Heresy »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #2 on: 04:37 PM - 11/16/21 »
Switch is not supported, but might be in the future.

I too am a complete potato with a controller, but I look like I can use one with a NEXUS, due entirely to the motion aim.

That improvement trickles down to general stickplay too as I'm much better than I was a few months ago.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline OhBlivEeUn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06:24 PM - 11/16/21 »
Conceptually it sounds good so good luck with the release XIM team, I will keep an eye on it as I too have potato aim after years of not using controller.

I'd be concerned about the titling being a detriment but I am probably wrong.
« Last Edit: 06:38 PM - 11/16/21 by OhBlivEeUn »
Be careful when taking advice, not everyone is qualified to give it. Make your own conclusions. XIM user since 2011

Offline Tats

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09:18 PM - 11/16/21 »
Switch is not supported, but might be in the future.

I too am a complete potato with a controller, but I look like I can use one with a NEXUS, due entirely to the motion aim.

That improvement trickles down to general stickplay too as I'm much better than I was a few months ago.

So with you entirely using motion aim, do you have your motion sense tuned for a 360 or do you micro adjust? Do you use the right Thumbstick primarily or only to center?

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 09:33 PM - 11/16/21 »
I'm pretty sure that antithesis games with NEXUS like I do -- stick coarse and motion fine.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Tats

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09:43 PM - 11/16/21 »
Noted ,

sheesh Iím so excited to see people what the community will achieve with NEXUS.

Offline lmulli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:24 AM - 11/17/21 »
I dislike controllers for shooters, hence why I use the Apex.

Personally, I believe they'd have been better developing a newer version of Apex along with a navigation controller to pair with it, or doing something like Tuact did with their Venom by offering the mouse/controller and device all in one package.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #8 on: 04:29 AM - 11/17/21 »
I'd be concerned about the titling being a detriment but I am probably wrong.
I was sceptical too, but tilting is actually really intuitive and works alongside stick movement. So you can turn with the sticks and tilt the controller at the same time. The learning curve is really shallow, it's not hard to pick up at all.

So with you entirely using motion aim, do you have your motion sense tuned for a 360 or do you micro adjust? Do you use the right Thumbstick primarily or only to center?
For HIP, most aim is as OBsIV said - coarse movement with the sticks, fine movement using motion aim.

For ADS, it's mostly motion aim within around a 90 degree vector. If I need to flick, I'll hit the stick. Most right-stick input is to control recoil.

Others will play differently, pretty much everything is customisable.

I dislike controllers for shooters, hence why I use the Apex.
I am incompetent using a regular controller for shooters, but competent with a NEXUS. It's night and day thanks to motion aim.

I still prefer APEX for online MP based on 40 odd years of m/kb gaming. But my controller gameplay has improved exponentially this year due to NEXUS.
« Last Edit: 04:46 AM - 11/17/21 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline middo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06:06 AM - 11/17/21 »
Have to agree , is annoying setting xim apex up just for a quick game, but have no choice I shoot like I'm Johnny 5 from short circuit. Proper robotic !! Looking forward to this nexus.

Offline TurboMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08:36 AM - 11/17/21 »

I'd imagine stick for general moving around the map, turning, centering etc. then motion for actual aiming. Similar to how I use my arm to turn and centre with a mouse, then when I spot an enemy I flick my arm toward them to get the crosshair close then do the rest of my aiming with my wrist pretty much. I guess the arm movements for larger turns would be replaced with the stick and the more accurate wrist aiming scenarios would be done with the motion aim.