XIM Community

Mouse and Keyboard not working on PC  (Read 276 times)

Offline romeocvg2015

• View Profile
Mouse and Keyboard not working on PC
« on: 11:42 PM - 11/07/21 »
Hello guys,

I got my Xim Apex a few days ago and I am having troubles making this work. I'm trying to play APEX Legends on PC through Steam. XIM Manager sees my Mouse, Keyboard, and Controller ( see image, https://imgur.com/a/W2sPOtn )

and I can see the keys I press in the app BUT those inputs does not translate in-game.

Here are the devices I use.
Apex Pro Keyboard
Viper Mini Mouse
PS4 Controller - cuh zct 2u Model

I don't have a PS4 Console, I just bought my controller for XIM Apex, so there is no way for me to change the communication method. Would this matter?
But I did get the green green green green blinks, plus whenever I press a key on my controller it shows in XIM Manager, so that tells me it should be alright?    (see image https://imgur.com/a/TBZNiFE)

I made sure to follow the suggested arrangement. I tried to mix it up and tried other Data USB cables.
3 dots controller
2 dots keyboard
1 dot mouse

I got the latest firmware and version for XIM Apex and XIM Manager (See Image)
https://imgur.com/a/J8sbY7c

Tried tweaking my mouse settings to
Mouse Polling Rate - Tried 1000, 500, and 125
DPI - tried Max 8500, 6200, 1000

My keybinds are definitely set correctly in XIM Manager too

I also used my spare keyboard, and mouse but same thing happened.

Incase it matters my Steam controller settings are set properly as well for both controller and keyboard.

EDIT:
-I also turned down the lights on my mouse and kb so power source should not be an issue.
-And I can control my desktop because i have a KVM. I also did try to use 2 keyboards+ 2 mouse, 1 for the XIM then 1 for Desktop PC without the KVM.
-Steam is in Big Screen Mode too.
-Unlike others my ps4 controller doesnt work in game just like my Mouse and KB when connected to XIM, but actions are captured in XIM Manager.    (controller works when directly connected to PC via ds4windows)

I am definitely lost here. Kindly save me.  :-\
« Last Edit: 06:21 AM - 11/08/21 by romeocvg2015 »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse and Keyboard not working on PC
« Reply #1 on: 10:55 AM - 11/08/21 »
Welcome to the community. The communication method is only needed on PS4 when using a controller version that requires it. If you're able to return your controller I recommend testing an Xbox One controller instead. Also, removing the KVM to simplify your XIM setup until things are working and stable will help you in troubleshooting.

XIM does not support PC as a gaming platform but some players have been able to use XIM in their PC game by using a Microsoft wireless Xbox One controller with their XIM. Third party controllers are not supported.

With that said you may encounter performance issues using XIM on a PC due to the possibility of PC game look mechanics being different from their console versions. Using APEX at 1000hz on PC may cause performance issues as well. Using APEX at 125hz on PC may be required.

-

It's been mentioned by other members here that the DS4 controller is supported by some PC games (not all) and that either changing the input type in the game options (if game supports it) or changing the control input type in steam controller setup may help if using steam. I'm not familiar with these steps but I have noticed these issue reports don't seem to come from players using Xbox controllers so that's something to consider if you run into more issues.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline romeocvg2015

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:47 AM - 11/08/21 »
Hello mist4fun, appreciate your warmness. I will probably try getting an Xbox controller, as I have already tried your other suggestions.

Though I have some points of yours that I want further clarification on:

1)"Using APEX at 125hz on PC may be required." -This is just the mouse polling rate right? I am not familiar if i'm able to change this for Keyboard too.

2)Is there any specific model number i have to look out for? would any kind of Xbox One controller work either wired and wireless?  Never been good with consoles, as I only had a PS3 but i have ditched that already.

3) In XIM Manager, when I create a new config - I first choose the game which is Apex Legends, then it lets me pick if I want it on PS4/3 or Xbox One/360. I have tried all 4 btw. Nevertheless which would be best for me to pick since I am on PC?

Much appreciated.

« Last Edit: 11:54 AM - 11/08/21 by romeocvg2015 »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06:01 PM - 11/08/21 »
1) This is referring to APEX's ability to change it's response rate (polling rate). APEX is designed to stay in sync with it's supported consoles but isn't designed to be used with a PC so it's possible to run into performance issues when APEX is set to higher rates. APEX runs at 125hz by default and typically this is fine for PC but some players are able to use up to 500hz. I would not even try 1000hz. It's something to keep in mind, if things feel wrong, bump the rate down, save, then physically reconnect APEX for the change to apply.

2) While it's not supported, any Microsoft made X1 controller should work for this. I recommend buying new to avoid receiving a controller with port wear. The X|S controllers also work with XIM4 but players have been reporting issues using this controller on PC. XIM4 recently received X|S support in it's latest beta firmware but because it's so new I can't accurately say if this fixes those issues.

3) Look mechanics are different between platforms, there's no telling me how it's different so I can't say which would be best. Generally you would try all of them then use the one that feels best. You also have the option of adjusting some of the game settings to see if this allows for a better fit with one of the versions. I would recommend only adjusting the game's right stick deadzone if you try this, use the other settings from the game settings page (http://xim.tech/settings). When playing an unsupported game or unsupported platform you may find another game config works better. Some Hell Let Loose PS5 players are using a CoD config instead of the HLL Xbox config.

Offline romeocvg2015

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09:55 PM - 11/08/21 »
Support here is Night and Day man. I will update this thread when I get my hands on an X1 controller. Could be a week from now. Thank you mist4fun
« Last Edit: 07:03 AM - 11/09/21 by romeocvg2015 »

Offline romeocvg2015

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:25 PM - 11/11/21 »
Hola,

I'm trying my hardest to find that Original Xbox One (v1) controller, the one without bluetooth. All I am able to find in my area is the Xbox One S (v2) controller, which comes with bluetooth.

Did a bit of research, I found out that there is the Xbox One S and then there is the Xbox Series S controllers. So I need clarification on your previous statement.

"2) While it's not supported, any Microsoft made X1 controller should work for this. I recommend buying new to avoid receiving a controller with port wear. The X|S controllers also work with XIM4 but players have been reporting issues using this controller on PC. XIM4 recently received X|S support in it's latest beta firmware but because it's so new I can't accurately say if this fixes those issues."

When you said X|S controllers had reported issues with XIM APEX on PC (i assume XIM4 was a typo, since our topic was XIM APEX), were you referring to both Xbox One X/S and Xbox Series X/S?
« Last Edit: 09:15 PM - 11/11/21 by romeocvg2015 »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:42 AM - 11/12/21 »
The X1 controller version shouldn't matter, bluetooth or not, all Microsoft brand controllers are supported. When I made a distinction between Xbox controllers it was between Xbox One controllers and Xbox Series controllers.

Xbox One (Micro USB port, bluetooth support doesn't matter)
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-4N6-00001-Controller-Cable-Windows/dp/B01LPNKGGI/

Xbox Series (USB C port, new DPAD)
https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Core-Controller-Robot-White-one/dp/B08DF26MXW/

2) Yes autocorrect looks to have changed XIM to XIM4. :)

Offline romeocvg2015

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:48 AM - 11/15/21 »
I finally made it work. Having an Xbox controller solved everything. Thank you mist4fun  ;D

Admin