XIM Community

Gesture support?  (Read 401 times)

Offline PingThing

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pingthing
  • PSN ID: pingthing
Gesture support?
« on: 03:13 AM - 11/02/21 »
I'll apologise in advance if this has already been covered, but a cool feature occured to me while musing the Nexus. It would be cool if the gyro could be entered into gesture mode, where on holding the activation button, certain binds or functions were utilised. They could be integrated into a gesture curve, and the required function (button) could be placed along the curve to be activated at a certain gesture velocity, flick up to activate super or throw grenade, flick right open menu or change profile perhaps, or adjust the unmentioned auto fire rate. The possibilities and customisation would be endless, and go beyond the controller button layout, and could be even more useful on PC where more button combos are required.
Just a thought.
It don't mean a Thing if you ain't got that Ping.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Gesture support?
« Reply #1 on: 09:03 AM - 11/02/21 »
No this hasn't been suggested and it's an interesting idea. Could you give some examples of how you'd use something like this in the games you play?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline PingThing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:13 AM - 11/02/21 »
Talk about putting a brother on the spot.
Obviously any activation would have to be applied higher up the curve as not to be triggered accidently, but I was thinking that when in gesture mode, moving the gyro past a pre determined point or velocity a mapped key or button combo would be activated. It's functionality and benefit would of course be dependent on whether the different gyro directions could be isolated into different zones, each with different binds attached. This could even be utilised in menus for navigation. Would be super handy on pc where button combos are essential.
 I was hoping that the community would get their heads together now that the ball is rolling and come up with game specific applications.
I'd have a better idea of what would work great if you sent me a sample to test out some ideas....:)  (Joking obviously) (or am I)
I challenge the Xim community to think of ways that this feature could work for them.👍
« Last Edit: 05:15 PM - 11/02/21 by PingThing »

Offline DrR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06:28 PM - 11/02/21 »
This can be done in reWASD (kind of).  They group gyro actions (controller displacement) into zones.  So slightly tilt controller in any direction triggers what ever you want,  even a macro.  You basically have low, mid and high zones.  I use these types of mappings to perform  actions like jump, reload, drop shot etc.  One off type of actions work best.  Grouping zones through magnitude of controller angular displacement feels more intuitive then something like angular velocity or acceleration

Offline PingThing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:52 AM - 11/03/21 »
I like your thinking, and this is part of the issue this early, I suppose without a teardown we aren't privy to the gyros capabilities, I mean, does it register tilted angles?, Could it be used in a mouse pointer mode, is the software and firmware versatile and sturdy enough to register double taps, triple taps, long presses,.
Granted, most of these functions are more suited to the pc game market, but something like this with the ability to access all the required buttons and binds in something like Post Scriptum or Star Citizen is going to open up a whole new market.
My dream for this device, is that if it is to have PC functionality like is hinted, that it becomes the device I wished the Steam Controller was going to be when it first arrived...and of course a lot of this functionality would benefit the console players too.
But hey,,pssst,,shhhh, let's get it in the hands of the Ximmers first before we let the PC crowd in on the gig, there might not be enough to go around if everyone wants one 😉

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: 04:31 AM - 11/04/21 »
This can be done in reWASD (kind of).
I suspect this may be the solution for PC gaming. I can't see complex gesture controls being integrated without diluting and complicating the core purpose of the controller.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Admin