XIM Community

Questions on how to tweak the config file - G5 mouse and COD4  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Tech

• View Profile
Hi all,

My first post to the boards (and in fact in a long long time to anywhere) so please dont flame me! I'm a born again newbie!

I ordered and constructed my XIM as per the instructions posted online - soldering it was tough but I persevered. It worked perfectly the first time, which was astounding to me as usually nothing works first time the way its supposed to in IT. Least in my universe :p - ok enough intro - now to the meat of the matter.

I'm at the stage where I want to fine tune the config file so that the mouse feels as close to something that I'm comfortable with as possible. I've read all the configs posted here that I can find and mirrored all of them as tests and I just feel that I can tweak settings further to the point where its as close to perfection as possible. To do this I need all your expert advice...

In regard to dead zone - how can I minimize this? I have a Logitech G5 mouse and it still feels like the dead zone - the middle bit of movement on the screen around the cross hairs is very sluggish. To fine aim at someone still takes longer than it should especially in a game like COD4 where participants are sprinting around and making unexpected turns etc. If I could figure out how to speed up the finer movements, that would help my gaming heaps.

Also - what do each of the settings on the config do? For eg using Thorimmortal's config -

User: Thorimmortal
Game: Call Of Duty 4
Mouse DPI:Logitech G5 default 800 dpi
Mouse Dead Zone:           = 0
Mouse Update Frequency:    = 2.5
Dead Zone:                 = 17
Dead Zone Type:            = Circular
Y/X Ratio:                 = 1.9
Translation Exponent:      = 0.25
Sensitivity Primary:       = 18.0
Sensitivity Secondary:     = 26.0
Smoothness:                = 0.3

The mouse dead zone = 0, does this really reduce the dead zone to 0? I tried this config and it seemed like it still existed onscreen. Do I need to set my controller speed ingame to insane for this to work?

The update frequency seems straight forward to me - 2.5 ms polling speed right? Something like that?

Then there's another dead zone setting here - whats that one for? The right thumbstick? Thats the wasd controls? What does that value do?

Circular vs square is explained well in the FAQ's - thanks for that.

These settings -

What does setting them higher or lower do? Does this mean that to move on the y axis I need to move almost double what I'd do on the x axis to see the same movement on screen? Or is this an adjustment to make them more even? I tried changing this value but wasnt sure what to look for.

This one has me scratching my head....

I didnt really understand having two sensitivity settings. What does this translate to ingame? The G5 has a DPI selection on the mouse - from 800 - 2000dpi if I'm not mistaken. Is this setting related? Or something that emulates this? I havent tried switching the sensitivty for XIM ingame yet - how does this affect the mouse settings (400,800,2000 manual selection on the mouse)

This is mouse smoothing methinks... so if I set it to 0 will see no or less acceleration when I make a big turn?

Sorry for all the questions - these are some that I started scratching my head about when I began editing the config file. I know its a personal preference thing to get it "just right" but if I know what each of the values does that will help me get things just right much quicker. I feel like I'm changing values at random and not really understanding how each contribute to the overall feel of movement onscreen.

Maybe if we tackle each of these one by one?
« Last Edit: 03:53 AM - 01/30/08 by Tech »

Offline Nollieflips

• View Profile
Lower your smoothness and primary sensitivity a bit and increase the deadzone to about 35 for a more reactive mouse. Also make sure your game is at its highest mouse sensitivity.
« Last Edit: 06:03 AM - 01/30/08 by Nollieflips »
"I'm gonna plug a mouse and keyboard in my a**hole and pwn life"

Offline thorimmortal

• View Profile
Hi all,

My first post to the boards (and in fact in a long long time to anywhere) so please dont flame me! I'm a born again newbie!

I ordered and constructed my XIM as per the instructions posted online - soldering it was tough but I persevered. It worked perfectly the first time, which was astounding to me as usually nothing works first time the way its supposed to in IT. Least in my universe :p - ok enough intro - now to the meat of the matter.

I'm at the stage where I want to fine tune the config file so that the mouse feels as close to something that I'm comfortable with as possible. I've read all the configs posted here that I can find and mirrored all of them as tests and I just feel that I can tweak settings further to the point where its as close to perfection as possible. To do this I need all your expert advice...

In regard to dead zone - how can I minimize this? I have a Logitech G5 mouse and it still feels like the dead zone - the middle bit of movement on the screen around the cross hairs is very sluggish. To fine aim at someone still takes longer than it should especially in a game like COD4 where participants are sprinting around and making unexpected turns etc. If I could figure out how to speed up the finer movements, that would help my gaming heaps.

Also - what do each of the settings on the config do? For eg using Thorimmortal's config -

Mouse Dead Zone:           = 0
Mouse Update Frequency:    = 2.5
Dead Zone:                 = 17

The mouse dead zone = 0, does this really reduce the dead zone to 0? I tried this config and it seemed like it still existed onscreen. Do I need to set my controller speed ingame to insane for this to work?

The update frequency seems straight forward to me - 2.5 ms polling speed right? Something like that?

Then there's another dead zone setting here - whats that one for? The right thumbstick? Thats the wasd controls? What does that value do?

Circular vs square is explained well in the FAQ's - thanks for that.

These settings -

What does setting them higher or lower do? Does this mean that to move on the y axis I need to move almost double what I'd do on the x axis to see the same movement on screen? Or is this an adjustment to make them more even? I tried changing this value but wasnt sure what to look for.

This one has me scratching my head....

I didnt really understand having two sensitivity settings. What does this translate to ingame? The G5 has a DPI selection on the mouse - from 800 - 2000dpi if I'm not mistaken. Is this setting related? Or something that emulates this? I havent tried switching the sensitivty for XIM ingame yet - how does this affect the mouse settings (400,800,2000 manual selection on the mouse)

This is mouse smoothing methinks... so if I set it to 0 will see no or less acceleration when I make a big turn?

Sorry for all the questions - these are some that I started scratching my head about when I began editing the config file. I know its a personal preference thing to get it "just right" but if I know what each of the values does that will help me get things just right much quicker. I feel like I'm changing values at random and not really understanding how each contribute to the overall feel of movement onscreen.

Maybe if we tackle each of these one by one?

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knoledge, If I am not accurate some one please correct me if im wrong, I always set the ingame sensitivity to the highest possible setting. as far as the sens. on the movement keys not an issue unless your key board has pressure sensitive keys.(sounds good to me)
Mouse Dead Zone:           = 0    helps with x,y bleed over, I see it like a flat spot then falling to a lower level,(the next dead zone) think 3d, the larger the dead zone the bigger it gets in 2D, but it feels like it also gets taller(cylindrical) in a 3D perspective, so a larger dead zone = a greater distance to travel but also a longer drop = choppy feel in mouse movement. so more movement is required before the mouse actually reports movement. sounds usefull for higher dpi mouse tuning.

Mouse Update Frequency:    = 2.5  I noticed less jittery on 800 dpi, im thinking strobe, Reports per second?

Dead Zone:                 = 17   Tried (deadzone find) looks pretty small so i figured a smaller dead zone would overlay the square better

Y/X Ratio:                 = 1.9 just what it says, how far you move your mouse in each direction and the ratio between the two, if you move right 1" and then down 1" and the input is the same 1:1, cod 4 test if you cant look up fast enough to shoot people coming down stairs, in windows ect. but turing is too fast up the ratio, balance between the two movements so they are even, or to your liking.

Translation Exponent:      = 0.25 this one is tricky, every thing you change has an impact on a different setting, this is how I see it, if you
 move your mouse @ 1mph with this set at 0 and then speed up to 5mph there is no exponential so there is no increase in speed, now put and expo. factor in as you increase speed it multiply's the input value depending on the ammount of expo. you factor in. I set this up so normal runnin and gunnin, moves with my right hand at smooth pace, but a quick snap to one side or the other spins me around 180 in a flash.

Sensitivity Primary:       = 18.0 This all depends on your feel and all the other settings, I tried to get the movement smooth and fluid, then adjusting the sens. to meet my needs, I played way too many hours of BF2
so my feel is directed more to the feel of this game, as to where someone else may be more comfortable with the feel of a different game,

Sensitivity Secondary:     = 26.0 This must be held down the entire time you use it (momentary switch) that is why I started the whole bind to the right mouse/scope zoom,(I prob. didnt start it but I use it like its my own) you can dial this in to speed up or slow down your view while zoomed in, and when you let go of the mouse button every thing is back to normal sens.

Smoothness:                = 0.3 I see this as the grey area, or a feathered dead Zone for the sensitivity, the more you use the softer the feel, less is a hard rigid movement, sharp and accurate, smoothness helps to move into the 10 ring without moving past it.

This is only my interpertation of the settings , any one feel free to correct me if im wrong, or add to the deffinitions, so we can all understand the settings better.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile

Game:COD4
Mouse DPI:2400 (Creative Labs HD7600L Laser Mouse)
Mouse Dead Zone:0
Mouse Update Frequency:1
Dead Zone:32
Dead Zone Type:Circular
Y/X Ratio:2.00
Translation Exponent:0.40
Sensitivity Primary:6.75
Sensitivity Secondary:8.75
Smoothness:0.05

those are the settings I use. Good on 1600 through 2400DPI. If you do use them on a 1600dpi mouse, have to increase speed a bit imo.

The translation exponent is a tricky little thing. Too much, and its wayyyyyy to jump, too little feels like soft frozen honey (I like honey, but not for this application)

Changing out the Mouse dead zone to 1, or 2 makes me very mad and makes it very jumpy for me on anything other than 0.

Deadzone size however is a diff beast. I've been rolling with a 30ish on this and use circular - seems to have me owning like crazy. Smooth, precise and no BS.

Now if you ask me about halo 3, I have alot to say on that one......
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Tech

• View Profile
Hey all, quick update...

I read and tried all your suggestions. The increased dead zone actually worked better - I would have thought that a smaller one would be better, but you're right, its less jerky on screen.

I think this is the way that it works - if you have a dead zone of say - 30-35 with a 800-1000dpi mouse, you have this zone in the middle where you're not going to get abrupt acceleration and twitching of the crosshairs on screen. This allows you some finer movements for aiming. Once you move your mouse pointer out of that zone (due to a rapid turn on screen for eg) then you see the acceleration kick in and you turn faster.

Its still not quite perfect yet but heaps and heaps better than it was before. I'll keep tweaking it and eventually post my config.

Am thinking of switching to my Razor Lachesys 4000dpi mouse to see what happens as well. I'm curious if more dpi = smoother or worsened mousing.

Played online last night - got 4 kills with the shotgun - something that I've never been able to do prior to the XIM. My kill/death ration is slowly climbing up from .40 to around .67 now. Soon it'll be in the positive region I hope.

Building the XIM was definitely something worthwhile to do - now if only someone would post a "how to" on building some COD4 skill. :p
« Last Edit: 01:58 AM - 02/01/08 by Tech »

Offline Tech

• View Profile
O and btw Thorimmortal - am curious about what you mentioned regarding the right mouse for aiming/sniping and also combined with increased sensitivity - how did you accomplish that?

Oh nm - just found the thread... hmm interesting... must give that a go bec yeah - I find when zoomed/aiming its a bit slow for my liking too...
« Last Edit: 11:05 PM - 01/31/08 by Tech »

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
Months old so likely resolved.

I'm closing this post and if anyone still needs some help they can start a new more current post.

Closed...

Admin