XIM Community

Nexus & ps5  (Read 1447 times)

Offline year0

• MVP
    • View Profile
Nexus & ps5
« on: 06:58 PM - 10/15/21 »
I imagine i'm a bit late to the party with this but what's the situation re nexus ps5 use?
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Offline facade

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: xi scion ix
  • PSN ID: SeneschalGrigori
Re: Nexus & ps5
« Reply #1 on: 07:05 PM - 10/15/21 »
Will probably need whatever adapter comes out that makes Apex work with PS5 games.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:20 AM - 10/16/21 »
Here you can find the latest update on that :)
https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=96393.0
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline year0

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:02 PM - 10/20/21 »
Here you can find the latest update on that :)
https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=96393.0

Read that, thanks for the update. So it's not an 'encryption' type thing that's stoping it working with the ps5? Ie not an intentional block? (i'm behind the times)
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05:46 AM - 10/21/21 »
It is the encryption plus Sony enforcing the DualSense in almost all PS5 games now since a few weeks, which as a sideeffect blocks the controllers the XIM currently used to authenticate in these games.
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline year0

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:17 PM - 10/24/21 »
It is the encryption plus Sony enforcing the DualSense in almost all PS5 games now since a few weeks, which as a sideeffect blocks the controllers the XIM currently used to authenticate in these games.

So they did implement encryption.. I guess that you've already explored getting licensed by Sony in the past too.   
If Sony's made moves to block xim thru encryption then they must have something of their own in the pipeline imo

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #6 on: 04:03 PM - 10/24/21 »
Sony hasn't intentionally blocked anything, except the DualShock 4 for PS5 games. By proxy, devices that rely on the DS4 protocol, including XIM, Cronus, Brook, Titan etc have been blocked.

This is almost certainly related to Sony's patent royalties deal with Immersion that they've been desperate to ditch since the launch of PS3. By forcing DualSense controllers to play PS5 games, they make a clean break from paying controller rumble fees by forcing games & gamers to use the DualSense's proprietary haptics. It's those haptics that are protected by encryption to prevent third-party devices from accessing their IP.

In short, XIM wasn't targeted by Sony, nor was anyone else. They don't have any other device up their sleeves, it's to force us all to migrate to the DualSense.

And yes, licencing NEXUS with Sony was explored. Sony either doesn't want the competition for DualSense, or XIM isn't big enough to be considered for a licence agreement (Hori, Scuf, Thrustmaster etc sell gazillions more controllers).

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline year0

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:29 AM - 10/27/21 »
Sony hasn't intentionally blocked anything, except the DualShock 4 for PS5 games. By proxy, devices that rely on the DS4 protocol, including XIM, Cronus, Brook, Titan etc have been blocked.

This is almost certainly related to Sony's patent royalties deal with Immersion that they've been desperate to ditch since the launch of PS3. By forcing DualSense controllers to play PS5 games, they make a clean break from paying controller rumble fees by forcing games & gamers to use the DualSense's proprietary haptics. It's those haptics that are protected by encryption to prevent third-party devices from accessing their IP.

In short, XIM wasn't targeted by Sony, nor was anyone else. They don't have any other device up their sleeves, it's to force us all to migrate to the DualSense.

And yes, licencing NEXUS with Sony was explored. Sony either doesn't want the competition for DualSense, or XIM isn't big enough to be considered for a licence agreement (Hori, Scuf, Thrustmaster etc sell gazillions more controllers).

That makes a lot of sense. I didn't know that controller vibration was patented, although I did hear that Scuff had managed to get some patents that were part of the reason DS4 controllers were so expensive. Maybe it wasn't Scuff but whoever holds the rumble patent that's doing it.   

I watched a good video about how patents have become a bad thing in a lot of instances, particularly in the computing world. They've ended up holding back a lot of tech progression.  Iirc some guy who made a soccer 'game' using the menus in a laserdisc apparently extorted a tonne of money from game manufacturers too.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #8 on: 04:03 PM - 10/27/21 »
Immersion holds the patent for controller rumble. Sony paid for it on PS and PS2 controllers, but were caught up in a trademark infringement lawsuit just prior to the PS3, which forced them to launch with the Six-Axis controller instead. DualShock 3 dropped about a year later, after Sony settled with Immersion.

The rumble deal has probably cost Sony hundreds of millions of dollars over the last 24 years, considering how many PlayStation console units they've shipped. They were pretty keen to shove Immersion out the door, even if it meant poor forward compatibility for PS4 hardware. It is anti-consumer compared to Microsoft's forward / backwards compatibility of the Xbox One and Series X controllers, but it's understandable once boiled down to brass tacks.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Admin