XIM Community

Looking forward to Pre-ordering this Obsiv! Current Thoughts on this...  (Read 922 times)

Offline CodeFuzion

• Gaming is life
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CodeFuzion
  • PSN ID: CodeFuzion
I have purchased pretty much every XIM you have released and this will be no exception. I have recently been wishing that I had the compactness of a Controller with ease of button use and play (without all of the hassle of multiple mapping for things), and the ability to fine tune aims better than I can with a controller stick. I am not terrible with a controller, but I a not great either. I use my XIM in several cases but having to pull out everything can sometimes be a hassle and sometimes I am just plain lazy. This seems to fit the need of my recent thoughts. Of course, I can see a big learning curve since I dont really use Gyro to aim and had issues with it with Zelda BOTW in some cases (couldnt really fine tune movements in that game).

Really looking forward to this, because I see this as an additional way to play and not necessarily replacing my XIM APEX personally. I will probably continue to use both unless I get as good as the videos posted then maybe I wont use my XIM APEX as much.

One comment I have and is probably to late for is have you given thoughts on adding 2 extra mappable buttons next to the triggers and shoulder buttons like the Wolverine Ultimate? I find the 6 mappable buttons extremely useful because I Dont like to click in my sticks for input because it wears out the sticks more (and can cause more stick drift long term) and also I feel like it will cause you to move the gyro more to push it in when that might not be the intent. I map all 6 extra buttons on the Wolverine to A, B, X, Y and the stick pushes so I dont have to push in the sticks and I have found it preserves my controller longer.

Just a suggestion
I reject your reality and substitute in my own - PolymorphicViewpoint

Senior Solution Architect / Cloud Architect / Director of Cybersecurity

Online ZioComposite

• MVP
    • View Profile
Also agree with the suggestion.  Additional buttons to map as the thumbstick "buttons" would be great.  It's the first thing that I always notice to deteriorate with controllers. 

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Switch gyro is a different animal to NEXUS - it's much smoother and easier to aim on NEXUS. I found BotW to be very clunky on Switch with gyro aim.

The interesting thing about using NEXUS is it's the way my 4 kids wanted to aim while learning to play video games. Every single one of them tilted the controller to aim and had to be taught to keep it still and use the sticks instead.

Motion Aim is very easy to adapt to, especially for ADS. It'll only take an hour or two to adjust, maybe less. I got it pretty much straight away and I've never been comfortable with gyro. Stick to the default NEXUS settings, aim mostly with the sticks and tilt the controller to get on-target.

I barely touch the right stick while ADS and aim almost entirely with Motion Aim. The only time I'll adjust the right stick is to swap targets or add more recoil control. This also frees up the right thumb for hitting A, B, X & Y, so I don't use the rear buttons at all for these bindings.

HIP takes more getting used to as Motion Aim is active all the time, but it just takes some tweaking and persistence to get right. I recently swapped from Motion Aim on ADS only to HIP as well and I'm doing just fine with it.

As for additional shoulder buttons, they're not necessary as the 4 buttons on the rear of the controller can be mapped to any controller action. Like you, I'll map the LS and RS buttons to rear buttons to reduce wear and tear, but haven't done it yet. I'll get onto that ;)

Check my VODs on Twitch for a look at NEXUS in action. I have potato aim with a controller, but I aim well with a NEXUS. Like APEX, performance varies depending on the quality of the look mechanics, but when NEXUS works well, like in Destiny 2, it feels sublime. I'll get back to streaming next week if you want to watch a live demo and ask questions :)
« Last Edit: 12:19 AM - 10/29/21 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline DrR

• View Profile
When you say "tilt" ae you referring to yaw ?  I assume/ hope yaw is the default way to look around or control x axis?  I find a true tilt motion good for one off actions like  jumping /reloading etc.  Anyway although the controller overlay looks like yaw  not sure this has been mentioned yet?

Thanks

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
NEXUS uses X & Y axis motion control to aim. I don't play flight sims, so I don't know how to describe that in pitch, roll & yaw terms. Pitch (Y) and yaw (X)...I guess?!? Dip the left side of the controller to aim left, or dip the right side of the controller to aim right.

Watch my Twitch VODs and you'll see how it works as I show both a hand cam and the overlay. Link in sig.

By the way, I tried mapping LS & RS to the rear paddles and it messed with my mojo. I tested NEXUS with Titan Two yesterday to confirm that it works, so we can add mods to NEXUS. I'll setup a simple easy-sprint script that auto-activates Sprint when the left-stick is pegged forwards at 90 +/-10 degrees. That'll save controller wear and tear.

I suggested a similar quality-of-life option for auto-sprint to OBsIV, but I'm not sure if that'll be implemented or not. Auto-sprint needs to engage on HIP only and I don't think there's a way to separate bindings for HIP & ADS.
« Last Edit: 02:21 PM - 11/02/21 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Online ZioComposite

• MVP
    • View Profile
Switch gyro is a different animal to NEXUS - it's much smoother and easier to aim on NEXUS. I found BotW to be very clunky on Switch with gyro aim.

As for additional shoulder buttons, they're not necessary as the 4 buttons on the rear of the controller can be mapped to any controller action. Like you, I'll map the LS and RS buttons to rear buttons to reduce wear and tear, but haven't done it yet. I'll get onto that ;)

ABXY/Front buttons I've always mapped to the rear ones on the Xbox Elite and see doing the same with Nexus.  So at least 2 extra buttons would be great still.

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
The face buttons are mapped by default to the rear buttons.

The hardware design is finalised, so extra buttons won’t be added near the bumpers & triggers. But there are an additional 3 buttons on the front of NEXUS that can be mapped to other actions. They’re bound to Next / Prev profiles and Engage Toggle, but can be changed to anything else.

Online ZioComposite

• MVP
    • View Profile
The face buttons are mapped by default to the rear buttons.

The hardware design is finalised, so extra buttons won’t be added near the bumpers & triggers. But there are an additional 3 buttons on the front of NEXUS that can be mapped to other actions. They’re bound to Next / Prev profiles and Engage Toggle, but can be changed to anything else.

This more of a suggestion still for future iterations.  Something to keep in mind. 

Offline bennyskoo

• View Profile
I get on everyday to see if its been released hahahaha