XIM Community

[RESOLVED] HELP: Xim Apex disconnect and spin out of control  (Read 186 times)

Offline Saint

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: xSaintx
Hello,

I have had Xim Apex for over 2 years and had no major issues. Lately, I have started experiencing frequent disconnects where I have to disconnect and reconnect controllers. It works for few minutes before same happens again. Often the controller will spin around and around.

I am using a powered USB hub 2.0. I have two controllers and both have same issue.
I have replaced  all cables but issue still exists

Any help is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 04:48 PM - 10/14/21 by mist4fun »

Offline Saint

• View Profile
Re: HELP: Xim Apex disconnect and spin out of control
« Reply #1 on: 04:18 AM - 10/04/21 »
Any expert that can advise?  ???

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: HELP: Xim Apex disconnect and spin out of control
« Reply #2 on: 09:17 AM - 10/04/21 »
Welcome to the community. A shorted peripheral cable could create an issue like this. If you have a spare mouse then testing it may help point out the cause. Could you please share your setup so we can learn more about the issue? Please include both the brand and model.

mouse:
keyboard:
extras: extended usb cables, third party usb hub, usb switch, titan or cronus device?
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Saint

• View Profile
My Setup:
- Controller: Original PS4 controllers (I have tested with two with diffeent controller with the same issue)
- Mouse: Logitech G903 LIGHTSPEED Wireless
- Keyboard: I am using Sony Nav controller (Worked fine for the past 6 months)
- Titan 2: Used without issues for the past 6 months. Removed and tested XimApex without, but the issue persisted.
- Powered USB 2.0 (used for the past 6 months without issues).
- All cables are new (1m long)

I am not sure how to test to isolate the issue.

Thanks for your help

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Thank you and please continue troubleshooting without the titan connected to reduce power draw and the amount of variables.

Do you use the nav with a cable attached? If so I recommend testing APEX while using the nav wirelessly. The nav is prone to a few things that cause stability issues like this such as:

- a faulty cable
- a faulty nav port
- a low or weak charging battery

A quick way to test against all of these faults is by using the nav wirelessly. The results will tell us whether the disconnect is related to the nav or if we should look elsewhere. Here are instructions on how to do this:

NAV off
XIM off
Controller in XIM Port 3 "..."
NAV in XIM Port 1 "."
XIM on
Connect manager and make sure NAV shows up
Unplug NAV
Confirm wireless NAV shows up in manager

Please play for a while using the nav this way and let us know if it helps.

Offline Saint

• View Profile
I think I have identified the issue.
I have followed all steps. It seems the issue goes away when I replace the wireless mouse with a wired one. The issue still happened on occasions, but not as frequent as with the wireless mouse.

The NAV wireless function is a hit and miss. Sometimes it works wirelessly and sometimes only wired. I can see it in Xim Manager in both cases. Am I missing a key step?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
No, using the nav wirelessly is plug and play once it's connected once it's then paired. Since you can still connect and use Manager when this happens APEX's bluetooth radio is working correctly.

Nav's have had connection problems when they stopped working entirely in the past, this Nav might be reaching that point.

About the mouse, using it (and nav) wirelessly reduces your setup's total power draw and this can help with stability problems. Your setup might be as high power as you can have. All of your peripherals attached to APEX have a battery and a Titan 2 is also connected. These peripherals may need to charge with a direct connection to a power source, while APEX and hub are disconnected. I've seen higher power recommendations from other Titan+XIM users in the past, I think it was to use a hub that supports and includes a 12v4A power adapter. Note that you cannot use a power adapter like this with APEX's hub. Also, APEX supports USB 2.0 hubs and while it's not common, some players experience problems using USB 3.0 hubs.

Offline Saint

• View Profile
The issue is mostly gone with a wired mouse. However, when I add the Titan 2 to the mix, I get the same issue (frequent disconnections, spin out of control). It is odd as testing Xim and Titan on their own, I get no issues.

My setup:
- A/C powered USB 2.0 hub connected to PS4
- Tital connected to Hub
- Xim Apex connected to Titan 2.

Is one USB hub not enough for combined Xim and T2?? Do I need to add a second A/C power hub to the mix?

Thank you for your help.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
It is odd as testing Xim and Titan on their own, I get no issues.

That's good, it would make sense if it were power related.

Is one USB hub not enough for combined Xim and T2?? Do I need to add a second A/C power hub to the mix?

I'm not familiar with running a T2+APEX setup but like I mentioned before, other people using this kind of setup have talked about needing a hub with higher power specs than 5v3A.

Offline Saint

• View Profile
"I'm not familiar with running a T2+APEX setup but like I mentioned before, other people using this kind of setup have talked about needing a hub with higher power specs than 5v3A"
Is there a certain brand hub that users got?
Can I use 2 A/C powered hubs? Setup will be: PS4 <- USB Hub <- T2 <- USB Hub <- XimApex 

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: [ACTIVE] HELP: Xim Apex disconnect and spin out of control
« Reply #10 on: 04:47 PM - 10/14/21 »
I don't see why that wouldn't work but I'm not the person to talk to about using a T2. I recommend asking someone uses a T2+ XIM setup.

Offline Saint

• View Profile
I have used the setup with 2 USB hubs, and it seemed to work! Awkward setting two HUBs but if you have Xim and T2 with the same issue, then this might resolve it.

Thank you mist4fun for your help :)

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Great, I'm glad that helped. :)

Offline year0

• MVP
    • View Profile
I've had this problem happen a bit as well, also not just 'spinning' but locked moving forward. 
For me it's when using the NAV in wired mode, mine needs replacing and wireless doesn't work as it won't stay on when disconnected. I've noticed the problem happens when the NAV's lead isn't PERFECT. If it disconnects for a second then reconnects it goes a bit haywire. You can see if it's doing this in manager, where it shows connected devices instead of the usual 3 (controller, nav & mouse) it'll show more, with the nav connected multiple times.   
Even when it was 'new' I noticed Nav's can be temperamental
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?