XIM Community

Nexus - What are your thoughts or questions?  (Read 25491 times)

Offline gramps

• View Profile
Re: Nexus - What are your thoughts or questions?
« Reply #345 on: 12:47 PM - 01/15/22 »
I feel like this would cause a lot of older users to just generate that code and then either sell it/give it away, or use it to buy a Nexus and then sell it. Basically people who managed to slip into the whitelist without any real intention to use the product themselvs. Given how most older forum accounts are mouse and keyboard users this scenario isnt that unlikely.

To get some traction Nexus must also reach the controller audience. Restricting the launch to old forum users would lock these people out and create unnecessary negativity.

You talk about us old forum members are we not the people who put the company where it is now? each time a new xim product comes out we buy it . You talk about we're mouse keyboard users that's because a lot of us can't use controllers. the nexus is prefect for us to try moving away from mouse keyboard . I just don't believe the xim community would try make a fast buck here . i think the nexus release is treading on very very thin ice. I for one am not happy what I'm  reading here . How can we create unnecessary negativity with this new controller audience they've only just turned up we've been here years

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: 01:50 PM - 01/15/22 »
You cannot prevent people from buying the product and sell it afterwards. Me personally I don't think that's the intention of the most members here. I saw a lot of comments that says they want to try, they must have one or they are not interested in. I feel most non controller users here don't follow the topics in the Nexus thread.
Also I don't say that only old Forum users have to get the chance, but the day of pre registering could be the day of deadline of registered users, so no new users like bots or scrapers will get one.
Remember that this would be a short phase to ensure forum members get there Nexus and then the rest of the world. Isn't that the plan or what this all is about?

Thats indeed a much better idea.

You talk about us old forum members are we not the people who put the company where it is now? each time a new xim product comes out we buy it . You talk about we're mouse keyboard users that's because a lot of us can't use controllers. the nexus is prefect for us to try moving away from mouse keyboard . I just don't believe the xim community would try make a fast buck here . i think the nexus release is treading on very very thin ice. I for one am not happy what I'm  reading here . How can we create unnecessary negativity with this new controller audience they've only just turned up we've been here years

Please re-read my comment, this is not what i said.
If you restrict the pool of buyers too much then the locked out users will complain. Some shops in my country have attempted similar methods as suggested in this topic to sell new consoles or GPUs. It resulted in a shitshow and they had to apologize through their social media channels. They eventually went for unrestricted purchases and  fortified their anti shopping bot mechanics instead to calm the customers.

Your comment reflects the opposite side of what i mentioned in my previous comment. You rightfuly complain as a very old user to get priority on the launch purchase. But just like your comment there will be plenty of others coming from users who will see their chances being reduced by whatever system is discussed right now. And regardless of the system being used on launch, if the disadvantaged side finds some people to exploit the restrictions then you will have a really hard time to extuingish that fire.
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline Grampsoap

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 02:10 PM - 01/15/22 »
So its going to be a free for all just like ps5 xbox series x rtx cards if your lucky you get one if not hard luck
« Last Edit: 02:17 PM - 01/15/22 by Grampsoap »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 02:30 PM - 01/15/22 »
So its going to be a free for all just like ps5 xbox series x rtx cards if your lucky you get one if not hard luck

This is what we discuss right now. As Obsiv said on the previous page this hasnt been decided yet. Maybe someone has a good suggestion to avoid a race condition.

Though with how XIM Nexus is still flying under the radar i doubt we will see a similar situation as with GPUs or the new consoles. Assuming enough steps have been done by the XIM Store team to prevent scalping bots from buying a lot of units of course.
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline Grampsoap

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 02:41 PM - 01/15/22 »
The controllers are stuck in customs or they was .If we was even told how many units are available at launch could give us some idea of our chances and are they only sold on the xim store or also from the network of xim distributors ?
« Last Edit: 02:59 PM - 01/15/22 by Grampsoap »

Offline Grampsoap

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: 02:54 PM - 01/15/22 »
We don't know how NEXUS will be distributed and it may not be sold from this website at all. In which case it's up to the regional distributors to manage local sales.

In Australia, as soon as I know how much NEXUS will cost and how many I can order, I'll open up pre-orders and limit sales to one per household. I don't know how much control other XIM distributors have over their online stores, but that seems like a fairly easy thing to implement.

That's a fair way  :D

Offline dreaded

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 06:25 PM - 01/15/22 »
Personally I would do what Od1n has suggested with strong anti bot measures and limits on unit numbers per household. You could do something with the forum, but due to the open nature I never signed up for years, just browsed the relevant articles  - I signed up recently so I could thank ObsIV. Many other users could be in the same boat.

My first Xim product was an Apex I got shortly after launch, which I had to use for accessibility. I accept I might not get a Nexus from the first batch (not for the lack of trying!), but as long as bots donít instantly grab the next shipments then hopefully most of us will get one soon enough.

Just some food for thought ,  the current unavailability of the Apex product line could have created significant pent up demand for any Xim product, even if it is not like for like? Both products have similar fundamentals of providing accessibility and more precise aim, so once people see how good the gyro aim is (Iím going off xims reputation that it will be fantastic) the orders really might flood in. If that happens, and Nexus gets well known before the second batch then people here could get a little frustrated.

I wish the whole team the best of luck, and hope people will be understanding of any issues that crop up.

Offline Kingsb

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 07:40 PM - 01/15/22 »
Personally I would do what Od1n has suggested with strong anti bot measures and limits on unit numbers per household. You could do something with the forum, but due to the open nature I never signed up for years, just browsed the relevant articles  - I signed up recently so I could thank ObsIV. Many other users could be in the same boat.

My first Xim product was an Apex I got shortly after launch, which I had to use for accessibility. I accept I might not get a Nexus from the first batch (not for the lack of trying!), but as long as bots donít instantly grab the next shipments then hopefully most of us will get one soon enough.

Just some food for thought ,  the current unavailability of the Apex product line could have created significant pent up demand for any Xim product, even if it is not like for like? Both products have similar fundamentals of providing accessibility and more precise aim, so once people see how good the gyro aim is (Iím going off xims reputation that it will be fantastic) the orders really might flood in. If that happens, and Nexus gets well known before the second batch then people here could get a little frustrated.

I wish the whole team the best of luck, and hope people will be understanding of any issues that crop up.

I agree limiting 1 per household sounds like a good step.  Additionally, I wouldn't mind the ability to still place a pre order for 2nd or 3rd shipment if I cant get in the first.  At least that way ill be guaranteed one eventually and not have to deal with buying one from a scalper on ebay.  Easier to resist if you know an approximate date of when you would get one from official channel.

Offline swagangle33

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: 06:04 PM - 01/16/22 »
Hey I've been a Xim user since the Xim4 and have had an Apex since April 2020 and have just created a forum profile to chime in on the Nexus. 

Everything I've seen from the dev blog post and discussions on the forum, to XIM Central's youtube channel showcasing the controller, has been amazing.  I've always been a potato aimer on controller and have stuck with KBM  for FPS games, so it is exciting to think that I could have the convenience of playing with native controls and the benefit of added precise aiming in one package. 

I hope to get my hands on one as soon as I can :) 

I like Od1n's idea of adding some server-side checks to help mitigate against bots:

What i think is much more important though is to strengthen the XIM Store against scalping bots. You can have the best community solution but if the store isnt fortified against bots then its all kind of meaningless.

It should not be possible to buy more than 2 XIM Nexus controllers within 1 month:
- under the same IP
- under the same account
- under the same credit card or bank account
- to the same address
- idealy email or phone verification code to check out
- email/phone verification is tied to the account, the same phone/email cannot be used under a different account
- captchas or artificial pause times between steps to delay bots (must wait 10 seconds before you can proceed to the next step)

These are all great points, especially anti-bot captcha-like implementation. 

All it takes is one person motivated enough to automate the ordering process to ruin it for a lot of folks if the online release is overlooked.  It's clear that money can be made off this release by scalpers, which in turn robs existing users and members of the community the opportunity to buy it at a fair price. 

LinusTechTips wanted to sell some graphics cards to 'actual gamers' and dropped a Youtube video that contained a segment inside where they tell you to go a particular subdirectory on their store  (e.g., `/asus/3090/strixextreme`) in order to answer some gaming-related trivia questions and only the first X number of people to watch the video and complete the quiz had the opportunity to buy a card. 

Obviously that is not feasible to expect your dev team to imlement this and QA test it if the planned release is still this month.

My idea that can definitely be improved upon:

- Drop a message to forum members letting them know when the release is
- Store page updates and has a simple puzzle that links to a trivia form.
- The easy trivia is random (and X wrong answers will fail the test, resulting in punishment for bots)
- successful completion of the test will generate a one-time use token associated with the user's account that will allow them to place an order with the Nexus.
- could be something similar to the human verification for forum posts (e.g., How many numbers are in asdf969s) but would have to be revised so it couldn't be scripted. 

This way existing users that want to get a Nexus at release will have a chance to complete these tasks before a bot programmer can account for the change in checkout process.  I would also prevent guest checkout for the initial release, in addition to all the points mentioned. 

Here's a link to the sold ebay listings of the Apex, sorted by newest:
Code: [Select]
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=xim+apex&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1
Yes, the Apex is not the same as the Nexus and greatly marked-up prices for used Apex does not mean demand for the Nexus will be the in the same capacity. But I would err on the side of caution if I were XIM Tech, to offer the best chance to existing and loyal customers.

Offline SpeQzz

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: epicanova
« Reply #354 on: 06:48 PM - 01/19/22 »
What kind of sensitivity are testers using for the gyro? If you turn the controller 90 degrees to the left how far does your crosshair move?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: 09:26 PM - 01/19/22 »
What kind of sensitivity are testers using for the gyro? If you turn the controller 90 degrees to the left how far does your crosshair move?

It will turn as much as you want to. I tend to be on the slower motion sensitivity, my physical turning mostly reflects the angles i turn ingame.

Offline Relentless

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 01:17 AM - 01/20/22 »
Do these use the same ALPS stick modules as Ps5/Xbox controllers?

And will Kontrol Freeks be compatible?
« Last Edit: 03:54 AM - 01/20/22 by Relentless »

Offline Catacomb

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 05:47 AM - 01/20/22 »
Would be the nexus usable by people which are bad at aiming with a controller?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #358 on: 09:56 AM - 01/20/22 »

Bad aiming with a thumbstick -- yes. Absolutely!
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #359 on: 03:58 PM - 01/20/22 »

That's me in a nutshell. I am trash with a controller, but competent with a NEXUS.

I still prefer APEX due to decades of m/kb, but it's easier to game from the couch with a NEXUS.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Admin