XIM Community

Nexus - What are your thoughts or questions?  (Read 25362 times)

Offline M_A_D_20

• View Profile
Re: Nexus - What are your thoughts or questions?
« Reply #90 on: 12:00 AM - 09/19/21 »
I saw a question about fatigue when using the controller. Its a legitimate concern because you constantly are moving your wrists around to aim. Personally I have experience no fatigue at all. I do occasionally experience fatigue when using KB/M but never on NEXUS. I have had insanely long gaming sessions, even had a few all day followed by all nighter type sessions and never had an issue! Its an extremely comfortable gaming experience.
To add to this - Iíve had two frozen shoulders in the past few years, as well as C4 spinal cord impingement that have almost entirely prevented me from gaming. Mouse & keyboard aggravates my shoulders and neck, but NEXUS causes no pain at all.

I can only manage 2 or 3 hours at best using an APEX before my body gives out. Iíve had no problems banging out 10 hour testing sessions with a NEXUS. The only reason I need to stop is to recharge the controller (it also works fine over USB, just use a quality, lightweight cable like UGREEN).

I will repeat that I absolutely suck with a controller, but I am good with a NEXUS. Not top of the leaderboard battle royale good, but thatís a factor of age, time and experience rather than a limitation of the device.

I have spent 40 years on mouse & keyboard, almost no time playing shooters with a console controller (I canít hit the side of a bus) and only months on a NEXUS, but I am already good enough to at least compete with controller users.

For me, NEXUS has been transformative and has come at exactly the right time. I can spend much more time doing what I love than my ageing joints will otherwise allow. And I can play with my kids on the couch without totally embarrassing myself :)

Good to know, guys. I feel fatigue with MnK..occasionally, not often and it would have to be a marathon gaming session,  so if you guys do and not with this, then it wraps that up. But hey, give it another 40 years, maybe  ;D Watching Od1n's vid with the target practice and was thinking - this thing looks responsive, but his wrists must be working overtime lol.

Just recently switched from the ps5 to the xbox, and though I have had most of my time using a ps controller ( with what time that was using xim ) the xbox controller was an instant upgrade in comfort, night and day.. so it's nice to see Nexus also based around that design.

What binds did you guys go for with the 4 buttons on the back of the controller out of interest? and what was the experience like with that, regarding ease of use? was you able to have the middle and ring fingers on them at all times, or? How did that go?

And just a couple of quick-fires - weight in comparison to xbox controller?
                                                    2 buttons, 1 either side of logo.. config swap? change of logo colour?
« Last Edit: 12:19 AM - 09/19/21 by M_A_D_20 »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #91 on: 12:16 AM - 09/19/21 »
By default, those buttons are mapped, from left to right: X, Y, B, A (matches the same relative positions of those buttons on front). You don't have your fingers on them at all times. You use your middle finger to press them when needed and then return back to your normal grip. The design is for best motion stability.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline M_A_D_20

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 12:25 AM - 09/19/21 »
By default, those buttons are mapped, from left to right: X, Y, B, A (matches the same relative positions of those buttons on front). You don't have your fingers on them at all times. You use your middle finger to press them when needed and then return back to your normal grip. The design is for best motion stability.

Awesome, thanks. I never used controllers with buttons on the back in general, so always wondered if it was a constant position or change of grip.

Offline Jobe

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 12:36 AM - 09/19/21 »
What is the size of this controller ? Is it the standard Xbox One Size OR the new XSX size ?
XSX / PS5
Xim 3 / Xim 4 / Xim Apex / Xim Nexus

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #94 on: 12:52 AM - 09/19/21 »
What is the size of this controller ? Is it the standard Xbox One Size OR the new XSX size ?
Xbox One size. Series X looks a few percent smaller.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #95 on: 12:55 AM - 09/19/21 »
Worth noting that I donít use the rear buttons at all. Not because theyíre inconvenient, but because I tend to lift my right thumb from the stick while aiming with Motion Aim, which frees it up for face buttons.

If I was a more experience padder, Iíd definitely find a use for the rear buttons. Iíll get there eventually :)
« Last Edit: 02:46 AM - 09/19/21 by antithesis »

Offline M_A_D_20

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 01:11 AM - 09/19/21 »
Worth noting that I donít use the rear buttons at all. Not because theyíre inconvenient, but because I tend to lift my right thumb from the stick while aiming with Motion Aim, which frees it up for face buttons.

If I was a more experience padded, Iíd definitely find a use for the rear buttons. Iíll get there eventually :)

Ok, so for people like me who have never used motion aim. You said you take your thumb of the stick while motion aiming. Does that mean while in motion aim ( ads held ) that the aim stick is disabled? or does the aiming stick and motion work simultaneously.. so you can flick aim with an ads held stick and minor adjust with motion?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 02:05 AM - 09/19/21 »
Ok, so for people like me who have never used motion aim. You said you take your thumb of the stick while motion aiming. Does that mean while in motion aim ( ads held ) that the aim stick is disabled? or does the aiming stick and motion work simultaneously.. so you can flick aim with an ads held stick and minor adjust with motion?

Both work on top of each other, complete beginners to motion aiming may feel overwhelmed by using both at the same time though so you will probably find yourself using motion first and then incorporate it into your existing stick aiming.
Some of the alpha testers are still switching between the two, or are using both at the same time. It all comes down to what you prefer, there are restrictions in that regard :).
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline LITHE

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • Instagram @gregrosolowski
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Kent C Strait
« Reply #98 on: 02:41 AM - 09/19/21 »
What binds did you guys go for with the 4 buttons on the back of the controller out of interest? and what was the experience like with that, regarding ease of use? was you able to have the middle and ring fingers on them at all times, or? How did that go?

Button binding is easy my changes from default are:

Left stick click for jump
LB to sprint
LP (first bottom left button) to crouch/prone
RP (first bottom right button) tactical grenade/equipment
LQ (second bottom left button) switch weapon
RQ (second bottom right bottom) reload

ABXY is not binded to remove the habit of taking my right thumb off the stick.

Weight is very similar to an Xbox One controller, very premium feeling.

In a way it feels slightly wider and a little flatter than an Xbox one controller. This is definitely my favorite shaped controller, previously it was Xbox One.
« Last Edit: 02:47 AM - 09/19/21 by LITHE »

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #99 on: 02:51 AM - 09/19/21 »
I lift my thumb more by bad habit than intent, but both sticks and motion work together. Iíll use sticks to get close to the target then slide into the hitbox using motion aim. Flicking and sliding works really well to swap targets.

More experienced users will do both at all times, but I need to consciously force myself to keep my right thumb on the stick.

Offline ColdMan

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 04:30 AM - 09/19/21 »
Short answer - NEXUS allows even veteran m/kb users to play console shooters with a controller. Whether or not you can slay the lobby depends on time and dedication, but you will be competitive very quickly.

I've been an m/kb gamer since the Commodore 64 and I hate using a controller for shooters. The only shooters I've ever beaten with sticks are Horizon Zero Dawn and the Ratchet & Clank games. Every other console shooter from the last decade I've beaten with a XIM m/kb adapter from one generation or another.

Motion aim makes a huge difference to my controller aim, which is typically nothing short of awful. I am not kidding, I am trash with a controller. The whole reason I landed on XIM in the first place is I kept running out of bullets in Uncharted on PS3.

For single-player games, it'll be quick and easy to adapt to NEXUS from m/kb without the pressure of other players gunning for you. Precision is surprisingly good and motion aim is really stable, depending on your NEXUS settings (calibrate it first). The learning curve is pretty shallow - I recommend disabling Motion Aim for HIP and enabling it for ADS only (the default setting) to get used to it. The most obvious benefit of Motion Aim is recoil control, which is dead easy to do by simply tilting the controller forward. Aim assist is very sticky and smooth - it's in a whole other league than APEX because NEXUS is designed to use it.

For multiplayer online shooters, it's going to take me more time. I'm very hesitant to give up my APEX for MP gaming (really...why would I?), but when I have used NEXUS in MP, I've had roughly the same KDR. I feel less comfortable and confident with a controller given my decades on m/kb, but that's just a matter of putting in the time. Guys like d1sable and MrBrutalFrosty are going to stomp heads with a NEXUS.

NEXUS games require Smart Translators for Motion Aim. As we know, some STs are better than others, so results will vary. Overall, I've really enjoyed that I can finally play a console shooter with a controller. Being pain-free to boot is a massive plus.

I'll be able to demo the difference NEXUS makes to my controller aim by simply toggling motion aim on and off real-time on Twitch. All we need is the green light from OBsIV and a few of the testers will start showcasing NEXUS on Twitch & YouTube.

Thank you as always for your good explanations, it looks awesome and very PROMISING. My no doubt solution is simple: TO BUY THE NEXUS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Can't wait to see more videos showing gameplays, specially in COD and Battlefield titles.

Offline M_A_D_20

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 03:32 PM - 09/19/21 »
Od1n, LITHE, antithesis. Thanks for the replies and insight.

Offline wooody2000

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Trashplyer69
« Reply #102 on: 05:55 PM - 09/19/21 »
Cant wait for this to come out thats what I was hoping for lets get this party started

Offline Mike69

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 08:24 PM - 09/19/21 »
For single-player games, it'll be quick and easy to adapt to NEXUS from m/kb without the pressure of other players gunning for you. Precision is surprisingly good and motion aim is really stable, depending on your NEXUS settings (calibrate it first). The learning curve is pretty shallow - I recommend disabling Motion Aim for HIP and enabling it for ADS only (the default setting) to get used to it.

How would this work on HIP fire only games?
Will it be harder than using motion aim on ADS only?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #104 on: 08:48 PM - 09/19/21 »
I personally only play with motion on all the time. I think LITHE does too. The others activate on ADS I believe. There are other activation methods as well you can use.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.