XIM Community

Adding actions to a custom config  (Read 691 times)

Offline RConnor

• View Profile
Adding actions to a custom config
« on: 01:20 AM - 09/04/21 »

Destiny 2 has an advanced button configuration that allows for far greater customization options for the controller. I'd very much like to use this option, but I can't figure out how to add additional actions to a custom config.

My use of Google to find instructions also failed me. Would someone be so kind as to link to a guide for creating additional action buttons in a config?

Offline TurboMan

• View Profile
Re: Adding actions to a custom config
« Reply #1 on: 03:14 PM - 09/04/21 »
I'm not really understanding what you're trying to do. The XIM configs have both primary and secondary button bindings. Meaning, for example, you can bind two different keyboard buttons to L1, or one keyboard button to numerous different controller buttons (so for example, if you bind P to both L1 and R1, then pressing P will be like simultaneously pressing L1+R1).

If you're trying to do something funky with remapping in-game and then binding your keyboard/mouse buttons to those keys, basically ignore the button "functions" in the XIM and just bind the corresponding keyboard key to the controller button of your choosing.

Offline RConnor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:17 PM - 09/04/21 »
Destiny 2 has native gamepad binding options available that XIM does not offer in the config.

An example:

Super.

Currently Super requires either hitting two keys in tandem or using the XIM secondary actions to create a dual bind to a single key.

The XIM default config is creating unnecessary additional work. Destiny 2 natively supports an independent Super binding option that would allow you to pick either a single gamepad button or a combination of your choosing to activate a super.

XIM doesn't offer a Super binding in the primary actions at all. Since the game supports it, I want to add a new action to a custom profile, but cannot find a way to do so.

Edit: Super is just one example. There are many more unique independent bindings Destiny 2 supports on gamepad that XIM does not offer an option for.
« Last Edit: 05:28 PM - 09/04/21 by RConnor »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 05:52 PM - 09/04/21 »
The Destiny 2 patch was released a week ago. The Destiny 2 XIM config is close to 4 years old (?). Revisions to game configs take time and there are other games ahead of D2 in the queue. The D2 update will account for the revised turn speed, I doubt the Actions section will change.

XIM APEX supports the default bindings for every game, it doesn’t allow for custom Action labels. It’s a device built upon a small programmable chip with limited memory and restrictions apply as a result.

It doesn’t matter anyway - there are only so many controller buttons to go around and all of them are accessible in XIM configs. Short taps can be bound to Primary keys, long holds &/or button combos can optionally be bound to Secondary keys.

Make sure you have the Expert configurations option enabled in XIM APEX Manager > Global Settings to view Secondary bindings.

If you see an X, Y, A, B, L1, LB etc icon in XIM’s Actions, ignore the XIM label for that Action, it’s just placeholder text for the game’s default control scheme, which you should use and just rebind on XIM. But you can bind the controller button in XIM to whatever custom binding you have it set to in D2. The button icon matters, not what it’s called.

For example, bind Super to say X in-game, then bind X to whatever keypress you want to press on XIM, eg V. Pressing V will trigger X which triggers Super.

For Super, most of us simply setup a Secondary binding for L1/LB and R1/RB, just make them both the same button or key, eg V. Dead easy and doesn’t interfere with the default actions for L1 and R1. If you changed the Super binding in-game to L3 + R3, or A + B, do the same thing with Secondary bindings on XIM, eg L3 = V & R3 = V. Press V for Super.
« Last Edit: 10:17 PM - 09/04/21 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline RConnor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09:57 PM - 09/04/21 »
Thank you for the information. I'd give you some upvotes if the forum supported it. :)

I will go into the config thinking of the gamepad keys as native values and start thinking creatively. That should allow me to customize the primary and secondary actions in such a way as to create single key presses for the handful of actions I'm interested in that are not part of the default profile. (Tangent: In addition to super, I want to use the custom binding for kinetic, energy, and heavy weapon to make it more like PC Destiny).

This also teaches me that my initial request is a plea for a feature to the developers that needs to be made in the feedback forum.

Admin