XIM Community

Best bang for my buck  (Read 459 times)

Offline Rockyruption

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Rockyruption
Best bang for my buck
« on: 10:53 PM - 07/18/21 »
Hi all - looking to improve my current Xbox Series X gaming setup, however I have a big blocker (a wife) that struggles with understanding technology 'upgrades'. If something still physically works, she doesn't see the need to upgrade it. With that in mind, I need to tread carefully when upgrading - one small step at a time, and generally in secrecy.

My current setup, and those I'm considering upgrading, include an Asus 27" 4k/60Hz monitor (VP28UQG), XIM4, and HyperX Cloud Alpha headset.

I'm wanting to move to a 27" 1440p 120Hz monitor (LG GL27850 probably), an upgraded headset (probably the Astro A40s) and of course an upgraded XIM (Apex). I'm also interested in possibly getting a Titan 2.

Knowing that I can only get one of these at a time (and in secret), I'm wondering what people feel should be the order of these purchases...ie. which purchase would be most beneficial, to least beneficial.

Also, do you feel that some of these upgrades aren't warranted? I'm in 2 minds with all of this, as I love 4k gaming, and I'm worried I'll miss the fidelity when I drop back to 1440p. Also I find my XIM4 and HyperX Cloud Alphas perfectly fine...so maybe I'm just considering throwing money away when I don't need to?

I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Best bang for my buck
« Reply #1 on: 01:37 AM - 07/19/21 »
Of your options, I'd recommend a 1440p 120Hz screen as the top priority. The difference between 60Hz and 120Hz is very noticeable and will provide a substantial bump in performance. You won't miss 4K on a 27" screen, 1440p looks the same due to pixel density. Make sure whatever screen you land on has 120Hz and VRR support. I'm not sure that the LG screen has VRR at 120Hz, so double-check the specs.

Astro A40s are a monumental waste of money, as are pretty much all gaming headsets. I doubt you'll notice much of an upgrade from HyperX, which offer great bang for buck. IMHO, Fidelio X2HR/00 cans with a V-Moda Boom Pro is a much better audiophile-level, budget-friendly solution that will pair with any audio device that has a 3.5mm jack. They'll also plug into an AMP/DAC if you decide to upgrade in the future.

XIM APEX isn't strictly necessary. XIM 4 will work just fine on Series X with an Xbox One controller. XIM 4 gets the same Smart Translators as APEX, so new games will continue to be added for years to come.

Titan Two is a great upgrade if you want mods & macros, or cross-controller support. It'll also enable your XIM 4 to work on PS5, should you choose to go down that road.
« Last Edit: 01:42 AM - 07/19/21 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Rockyruption

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:59 AM - 07/19/21 »
Thanks so much for the solid reply Antithesis! I think you're right about the gl27850... some videos I've found show that the VRR needs to be switched off in order to achieve 120Hz. Even with that,  there seems to be a lot of videos out there still claiming that it's one of the better monitors for the series x at that price point.

Can I ask if you know if any other 1440p monitors you'd recommend please?

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #3 on: 08:34 AM - 07/19/21 »

Don't take this the wrong way, but some marriage counseling might actually be the best bang for your buck. If you're having to do stuff under cloak of night to avoid your wife's wrath and having to keep secrets from her, you guys should probably invest in developing a healthier relationship.
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #4 on: 02:35 PM - 07/19/21 »
Check this thread for monitor recommendations https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=90537

Several of us use the Dell mentioned in the OP. The only gaming feature it lacks is a reticle overlay, if thatís important. I never use the overlay on screens that have them, so it was no loss.

scp, being frugal doesnít necessarily equate to relationship issues, so might be best to sit that one out.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Rockyruption

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05:09 PM - 07/19/21 »

Don't take this the wrong way, but some marriage counseling might actually be the best bang for your buck. If you're having to do stuff under cloak of night to avoid your wife's wrath and having to keep secrets from her, you guys should probably invest in developing a healthier relationship.

HAHA - thanks for your concern SCP - you may be onto something :-) TBH I've probably exaggerated the situation a little for effect - the real biggest blocker for me making these upgrades is probably me (but my wife would certainly also have something to say if I went out and spent 1.5 - 2k of 'our' money in one hit for gaming, to replace things that I already have which already work really well)...As much as I would like to upgrade everything and always have the best tech available, I'm also a realist and understand that I can't have everything and there is probably more important things to spend hard earned cash on, plus I've already spent about 40k this year on camping upgrades alone, not to mention all the rest I've spent on other hobbies (kayaks, fishing gear and 3d printers etc).
The stuff I've mentioned I want to upgrade all works fine, and with it, I'm already a super competitive 'casual' gamer, but with SBMM not going anywhere in a hurry, I'm now starting to look at other options to give me the edge and improve the experience a little - just have to do it one peripheral at a time.

Offline Rockyruption

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:14 PM - 07/19/21 »
Check this thread for monitor recommendations https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=90537

Several of us use the Dell mentioned in the OP. The only gaming feature it lacks is a reticle overlay, if thatís important. I never use the overlay on screens that have them, so it was no loss.

scp, being frugal doesnít necessarily equate to relationship issues, so might be best to sit that one out.

Thanks again friend! I think I'm sold, and as a bonus, it looks like Dell has these for $519, until the end of the week! Looks like I'll have the best of both worlds with the LG IPS panel, and the ability to have VRR switched on at 120Hz.