XIM Community

BenQ EX2780Q  (Read 915 times)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: BenQ EX2780Q
« Reply #45 on: 05:06 AM - 06/01/21 »
1440p was the clincher for me. It'll come to PS5 eventually. Until then, I'll play all cross-platform games on Series X.

1080p looks fine on PS5 on a 27" screen, it just lacks the sharpness of 1440p. I'm really enjoying Days Gone on PS5, which runs at 1080p & 60FPS. It's a huge performance bump from PS4, but it'd be even better at 1440  :-\

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09:28 AM - 06/01/21 »
Today MSI announced a 32 inch 4k HDMI 2.1 monitor with Nano IPS. So a direct competitor of the LG 27GP950 which should be an excellent choice for those who want a larger monitor with the same tech specs. Model name is MPG321UR-QD.
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline mainmukit

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 01:47 PM - 06/01/21 »
I was hoping the MPG321QRF-QD was going to include HDMI 2.1 , but MSI seems to only mention HDMI 2.1 support on the 4K version only.

Monitors announced at Computex 2021 so far:

Console Options:

MSI Optix  MPG341QR                      [ Flat, 34" Nano IPS, 1440P 144HZ, 1 MS ]  HDMI 2.0 (Likely)
MSI Optix  MPG321UR - QD              [ Flat , 32" Nano IPS, 4K 144HZ, 1 MS, HDMI 2.1]
MSI Optix MPG321QRF - QD            [ Flat, 32" Nano IPS, 1440P 175HZ , 1MS ] HDMI 2.0 (Likely)

PC/Nvidia Option:

MSI Optix MEG381CQR Plus             [Curved 2300R, 38" Nano IPS, UltraWide 1440P 175HZ, 1MS ]

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 11:22 AM - 06/02/21 »
Another consideration is whether or not the monitor has in-built 4K downscaling to 1440p.

The Dell supposedly does not, but if I hook up the 1440p Dell and 4K Asus via a HDMI 2.0 splitter, the PS4, PS5, Xbox One X and Series X consoles all display at 4K @ 60Hz.

This implies that the Dell has 4K downscaling, while the Asus displays at native 4K.
antithesis,
Which HDMI 2.0 Splitter are you using?.

Just notice my setup will be a lot easier using one.

Thanks!  :)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #49 on: 03:41 PM - 06/02/21 »
I use this 4x2 HDMI matrix from Portta -
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B08B347MQD/

I bought it because it's HDMI 2.0b and has optical audio extraction, which is much easier to do on the matrix  (PS5 / Series X lack optical ports).

One HDMI output goes to an Elgato 4K Pro for OBS, the other to an Orei 2x1 HDMI splitter for the Dell & Asus screens -
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07J2Q9NPH/

This isn't strictly needed as I can use passthrough on the Elgato 4K Pro, but that'd mean turning the PC on to use the Asus for 4K console gaming.

Audio from the HDMI matrix goes to a Portta 3x1 Toslink matrix for the Creative X7, GoXLR and MixAmp (MixAmp is to feed my SubPac & Nanoleaf) -
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07DQB4ZMM/

I lose VRR in the HDMI chain, likely on the Portta matrix. That doesn't matter to me as VRR can cause issues when streaming with the audience / recordings seeing screen-tearing, whereas I wouldn't on my screen. I'd need to disable VRR in this scenario anyway, so it has no effect on me.

I don't know if the VRR issue can be resolved until HDMI 2.1 matrices are on the market that advertise VRR support. But I haven't noticed any performance issues on either Series X or PS5, with buttery smooth framerates on both consoles. I guess VRR is more about future-proofing for next-gen games than supporting last-gen or launch titles.

I'm using older HDMI 2.0 cables throughout, but I did buy and test a bunch of HDMI 2.1 cables just yesterday that made exactly zero difference. I was trying to fix random black flashes in Elgato flashback recording with the HDMI 2.1 cables, but it's an Elgato software issue and frankly Elgato sucks for video recording. I'm using the Replay buffer in OBS to capture quick clips instead.

I mention the HDMI 2.0 cables because cable length can affect HDMI switch / splitter setups. The longest cable in the chain is 6FT, with most measuring 3ft or less.

The nutshell version is I use the Porrta 4x2 HDMI matrix, which will more than do the job on its own to switch between multiple consoles, display them on two screens and extract optical audio, but I lose VRR in the process.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: 05:34 AM - 06/03/21 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline Lukasz

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: boloMALAN
« Reply #50 on: 05:02 AM - 06/03/21 »
Just a quick update, the TUF arrived and man, is that a big bad boy.

I am yet to test the VRR but I can confirm that it has the downscaler
« Last Edit: 05:57 AM - 06/03/21 by Lukasz »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #51 on: 05:27 AM - 06/03/21 »
Nice!  ;D

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 02:26 PM - 06/03/21 »
There have been no news about the Orei HDMI 2.1 Splitter or Extractor yet, right?

By the way the LG 27GP950 is said to be purchaseable in EU in 3 days and should ship on the 7th based on LG France.
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06:59 PM - 06/03/21 »
I use this 4x2 HDMI matrix from Portta -

The nutshell version is I use the Porrta 4x2 HDMI matrix, which will more than do the job on its own to switch between multiple consoles, display them on two screens and extract optical audio, but I lose VRR in the process.

Hope this helps!

It really did.

Thank you for your time and such well detail thoughtful explanation, appreciated it!

Man... is really unavoidable get into such a cable mess. I didn't know that I had a OCD issue with it, now I know... and is pretty bad, ;D.

I checked Orei Splitter manual, seems its EDID selector(TV) is doing the downscaling trick; takes what is Output 1 format and copies to the other output, pretty cool.

Well, VRR will have to wait... it has been pretty messy.

I'm very disappointed with Sony on this gen. They just announced to their customers: VRR support is delayed (again) to winter 2021 for its current 4K TVs line-up. :smh:. Last year models they are out of luck... that's a kick in the X.

It seems until they don't fix this on-going issue with Mediatek how make its SoC chips (that brings HDMI 2.1 and VRR) on its TVs they aren't willing to release the VRR update for PS5. LG, Samsung, TLC, Hisense TV's are VRR Ready, but PS5 isn't.

I currently have a HDMI 2.0 Switch 3x1 (PS5, XBSX, Nintendo Switch), I might get the splitter only, to split to the capture card 4K60Pro on my PC and gaming Monitor, so I can play independently. Currently I'm using elgato card as pass-through so my PC has to be turned on, even if I'm not streaming.

Thanks again!.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #54 on: 09:24 PM - 06/03/21 »
I might get the splitter only, to split to the capture card 4K60Pro on my PC and gaming Monitor, so I can play independently. Currently I'm using elgato card as pass-through so my PC has to be turned on, even if I'm not streaming.
I bought the Orei splitter for exactly the same reason  ;D

I wasn't sure which device was downscaling 4K to 1440p as I was pretty sure that the Dell didn't have one on-board. Thanks for working that out!

Honestly, I'm not missing VRR at 1440p. Much like I'm not missing HDMI 2.1 for pointless 4K 120Hz console gaming. 1440p 120Hz is gorgeous on a 27" screen, without the heavy processing overhead of 4K.

Also, I have one of these lying around - https://www.marseilleinc.com/mclassic/. It has a 1440p upscaler built-in, so I'll see if it works on PS5 for 1080p 120Hz games.

...and the mClassic works! I'll create a separate thread shortly :)
« Last Edit: 03:20 AM - 06/04/21 by antithesis »

Offline Lukasz

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 03:37 AM - 06/04/21 »
I might get the splitter only, to split to the capture card 4K60Pro on my PC and gaming Monitor, so I can play independently. Currently I'm using elgato card as pass-through so my PC has to be turned on, even if I'm not streaming.
I bought the Orei splitter for exactly the same reason  ;D

I wasn't sure which device was downscaling 4K to 1440p as I was pretty sure that the Dell didn't have one on-board. Thanks for working that out!

Honestly, I'm not missing VRR at 1440p. Much like I'm not missing HDMI 2.1 for pointless 4K 120Hz console gaming. 1440p 120Hz is gorgeous on a 27" screen, without the heavy processing overhead of 4K.

Also, I have one of these lying around - https://www.marseilleinc.com/mclassic/. It has a 1440p upscaler built-in, so I'll see if it works on PS5 for 1080p 120Hz games.

...and the mClassic works! I'll create a separate thread shortly :)
man, let me know how that goes, it would be great if this worked, PS5 1440p, 120, and VRR. As the chap stated above, Sony is way behind the curve on this one.

Offline Lukasz

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 09:00 AM - 06/06/21 »
Asus TUF   VG28UQL1A

It looks interesting option over Dell if you want crosshairs, their selling feature is BFI.

Heads up: To get BFI your system should be able to run 120Hz to 170Hz steady. This feature won't work on consoles.
Hey there buddy.

So I managed to play some D2 on 1080 120 and I went into to the monitor settings and enabled the BFI and everything seemed fine.

Also, the monitor has a build-in frame counter which showed a stable 120 through the 10 matches I played. I am not sure if I can trust that frame counter as through these 10 games I have not dropped a single frame, which seems a bit odd.

Offline He4DHuNt3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: XuK He4DHuNt3r
  • PSN ID: He4DHuNt3r_XIM
« Reply #57 on: 09:49 AM - 06/06/21 »
Hey there buddy.

So I managed to play some D2 on 1080 120 and I went into to the monitor settings and enabled the BFI and everything seemed fine.

Also, the monitor has a build-in frame counter which showed a stable 120 through the 10 matches I played. I am not sure if I can trust that frame counter as through these 10 games I have not dropped a single frame, which seems a bit odd.

Was this on PS5? The frame counter needs VRR to correctly work, which the PS5 doesn't support atm.
I just wanted to say that you are a phenomenal gamer. You make it look so easy and your gameplay has this commanding "tone" to it (i.e. not frantic -- more of a dominating calm :) ).

Offline Lukasz

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 10:13 AM - 06/06/21 »
Yeah, that was on PS5, so you probably right, it may not work properly.

It was to stable to be true, thanks for the recommendation though, this monitor is amazing.

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 03:20 PM - 06/06/21 »
Hey there buddy.

Was this on PS5? The frame counter needs VRR to correctly work, which the PS5 doesn't support atm.
Those are not frame counters, specially on HDMI only shows monitor current Hz, same data shown on any monitor at its info menu.

Usual gaming bs.

Admin