XIM Community

How to MAJORLY reduce input delay (Xbox)  (Read 390 times)

Offline Happy Camper Cavalry

• Only the best
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: 12 Current Members
How to MAJORLY reduce input delay (Xbox)
« on: 02:43 PM - 05/08/21 »
There are 2 ways to majorly cut down on input delay on Xbox.

1) is set your mouse up correctly for the Xbox. 400 Dpi and 125 polling rate. This is VERY important.
Yes the Xim is great at synchronizing your polling rates but just set sync to off and the correct polling rate. On the Xim Apex that saves you 1ms input delay at 30fps or 2ms at 60fps. Set your Sync to OFF!
*Using Sync boost to manage Aim Assist is a debate sure, but if you know me, I'll always say.. "Practice Responsible Xim ownership, and disable aim assist!"..

2) This one is much bigger than I thought, Turn OFF your CAPTURING. Don't let it capture anything. I was so surprised to see it lowers my input delay by over 5ms. I have MINE down to 12ms right now (8ms from the 125hs Polling rate + 1ms from my TV+3ms from the X1X Cpu bottleneck)

Hopes this helps someone.

Cheers
Practice Responsible Xim ownership, and disable aim assist!

Offline MuchLongApe

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: MuchLongApe
Re: How to MAJORLY reduce input delay (Xbox)
« Reply #1 on: 08:44 AM - 05/09/21 »
Hi i just ordered a XIM today but only has a 125Hz polling rate mouse and heard bad things about it, I want to use  it on Rainbow 6 but according to my friends aiming will feel pretty clunky and terrible to use. Is this true and is a 125Hz mouse okay to use?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:05 AM - 05/09/21 »
Hi i just ordered a XIM today but only has a 125Hz polling rate mouse and heard bad things about it, I want to use  it on Rainbow 6 but according to my friends aiming will feel pretty clunky and terrible to use. Is this true and is a 125Hz mouse okay to use?

The polling rate hardly affects the quality of your mouse movements, so what your friends say is not true. They probably refer to DPI which would cause exactly what they descripe. A DPI value that is too low will result in clunky and terrible mouse movements.
A low polling rate will not case that assuming your XIM is set to the same polling rate as your mouse! :)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 04:08 PM - 05/09/21 »
I think you'll have a hard time finding a mouse that polls at only 125Hz. If given the option, set it to 1000Hz and adjust the XIM APEX Response Rate to your preference.

If you have a XIM APEX, connect it to XIM APEX Manager on your phone or tablet, go to Global Options and enable Expert Configuration Mode. That'll reveal options for 125, 250, 500 and 1000Hz. Experiment with each Response Rate and you'll find the one that suits you best.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

• Only the best
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:45 AM - 05/10/21 »
Like I said this is really for best case scenario the Xim Works absolutely great with synchronisation and they were masterful and figuring out how to get that down to 1-2ms. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the synchronisation on the Xim4 for was 8ms? Is that because you just let the xbox sync, simular to if you just native controls today on Warzone or Fortnite. Both of which majorly improve wheb selecting the correct Polling rate for your system.

• Only the best
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:49 AM - 05/10/21 »

The polling rate hardly affects the quality of your mouse movements

Sort of, if you're using the Xim's Sync then yeah it doesn't seem to have a difference but if you want to save that 1-2ms delay then using the correct polling rate to bypass the sync DOES save time. I tested this with CanonEos4 filming at 120fps. I used a single cherry Blue to test the reaponse time.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #6 on: 03:17 PM - 05/10/21 »
Sync doesn’t affect Response Rate, it interpolates input to smooth output. XIM APEX will still poll at the defined RR regardless of Sync setting, but Off will passthrough the raw mouse sensor data without interpolation.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline He4DHuNt3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: XuK He4DHuNt3r
  • PSN ID: He4DHuNt3r_XIM
« Reply #7 on: 08:06 AM - 05/11/21 »
1) is set your mouse up correctly for the Xbox. 400 Dpi and 125 polling rate.

You should at least be using 1600 DPI if you want to reduce input latency.

I just wanted to say that you are a phenomenal gamer. You make it look so easy and your gameplay has this commanding "tone" to it (i.e. not frantic -- more of a dominating calm :) ).

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #8 on: 05:13 PM - 05/11/21 »

Looks like another compelling reason to use 3200 DPI.

Offline He4DHuNt3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: XuK He4DHuNt3r
  • PSN ID: He4DHuNt3r_XIM
« Reply #9 on: 04:08 AM - 05/12/21 »

Yeah that seems to be the case when using higher polling rates, anything past 3200 DPI doesn't reduce latency even when using 8000hz polling rate on PC.

I think I'll make the switch to 3200 DPI on XIM and see how it goes.
I just wanted to say that you are a phenomenal gamer. You make it look so easy and your gameplay has this commanding "tone" to it (i.e. not frantic -- more of a dominating calm :) ).

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04:18 AM - 05/12/21 »

Very interesting, thanks a lot for sharing! :O
The delay differences are so huge that this should definitely be noticeable ingame!
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

• Only the best
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:05 AM - 05/12/21 »

Very interesting, thanks a lot for sharing! :O
The delay differences are so huge that this should definitely be noticeable ingame!

This is cool, and i have tried 1600dpi and yep at 120fps it saves you 3ms or 1.5ms at 60fps.
I couldn't record a difference between 1600 and 3200 and... Then i cant use the same mouse profile for games that havr Naitive support like Paladins and Warzone because its too high ill stick with 1600 for a min.
I did test 1000hz polling rate at all 3 stages and Odin my friend,, im sorry but Syncing down to the 125hz xbox bottle neck Does cause 2ms input delay at 60fps.
Id be happy to share my video with you privately. This is a no way to disparage the Xim you've done an amazing job getting that synchronisation down to 2 milliseconds but it is there

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #12 on: 02:53 PM - 05/12/21 »
OBsIV uses a USB packet analyser and can demonstrate that XIM APEX polls at 1ms with the console. The console can be forced to respond at 1ms, including Xbox One and Series X. That's not necessarily a good thing as it can cause issues such as garbled audio and dropped frames, hence why Response Rate is customisable.

The default polling rate of Xbox console USB ports is 250Hz, not 125Hz. Refer to Titan Two documentation at https://www.consoletuner.com/wiki/index.php?id=t2:usage_guides. Again, these values are measured using USB packet analysis. Xbox's 125Hz value comes from the controller responding to every second ping, but the port sends it at 4ms by default, and 1ms with XIM APEX set to 1000Hz.

You're making assumptions by using video rather than USB packet analysis. It's not possible to measure values of less than 8.33ms at 120FPS (the length of one frame), or 16.66 ms values at 60FPS, so I don't see how you're coming up with 2ms values. Video recording and playback needs to be 1000FPS to get close to accurate results and still won't be as accurate as directly recording the USB polling data.

Also, don't mistake Input or Display Lag with GTG Response Time. There's no way your screen has only 1ms of lag as there are no 1000Hz displays. Also, Refresh Rate is not the same thing as Input Lag. Most screens have around 14ms of Input Lag, the fastest are 8 or 9ms.

I'm not trying to poo-poo your findings, but there's some gaping holes in the scientific method. I'd be wary of stating that Sync causes delay when your tools can't measure at the stated values. 120FPS is nowhere near accurate enough - any value under 8.33ms is pure guesswork. You have to take video analysis off the table as it's horribly inaccurate, unless it's capable of 1000+FPS. That's not to say your conclusion is wrong, but how you got there doesn't seem right.

Disabling capture on Xbox is a solid recommendation to reduce system load, which may or may not affect input lag (I doubt this can be measured). I'm not sure about the rest of your findings, except that Sync at Off and Response Rate at 1000Hz will minimise lag from XIM APEX by passing through raw mouse sensor data at the fastest possible rate. But, you may get jitter or OS issues in return.

In any case, it probably doesn't matter as a console game is going to process input at 120FPS at best. That's why we have Sync values of Default (120FPS), Common (60FPS) and Slow (30FPS) to sync XIM APEX output with expected game processing loop input.
« Last Edit: 03:59 PM - 05/12/21 by antithesis »

Offline JamesFPS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02:06 PM - 05/29/21 »

Yeah that seems to be the case when using higher polling rates, anything past 3200 DPI doesn't reduce latency even when using 8000hz polling rate on PC.

I think I'll make the switch to 3200 DPI on XIM and see how it goes.

Hey! did you try 3200 DPI on xim? I converted your MW config to 3200 DPI (sync off, 0 smoothing etc) but it felt a bit weird :/
PS4 | XIM Apex | Monitor: AOC 24G2U/BK | Mousepad: Cooler Master MP510 | KB: Durgod Taurus K320 TKL Cherry Silent Red | Mouse: Endgame XM1 | DAC: Topping D30 | Amp: JDS Labs Atom | Mic: Blue Yeti | Headphones: beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO | Config: MJFame/Blamer 800 DPI | MW/Warzone

Admin