XIM Community

The new Nintendo console could be more powerful than XSX or PS5  (Read 663 times)

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
Rumor has it that its built with the next gen (rtx 4000 series) Nvidia graphics chip. Realistically speaking, based on how Nintendo operates, it'll probably use Nvidia features like DLSS to bridge the power gap while still manufacturing an inexpensive kit. But it would be hilarious if it actually ended up beefier than Sony's or Microsoft's console.
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
I doubt it, that's no the Nintendo way.

Meaning maximum profit, skimp on hardware to have enough to get your there, focus on develop good titles, appeal to nostalgia. No bashing Nintendo, love their games but that's how they rule.

Yes, it might have a new nVIDIA chip but maybe he got a good deal for a low tier GPU.

This is going to be a subtle, middle jump, aiming  to bring 4K gaming at 60Hz, which its current is not even 1080p 60Hz, so they need at least something like the RTX 2060 power with recent architecture yet lower entry tier.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Nintendo is famous for their beefy console system specs...:tumbleweed:

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
It's happened before. N64 was a powerful console that was limited by not having a CD-Rom drive. Gamecube was also more powerful than PS2 though not as powerful as Xbox 1. Of course, as I mentioned, it's not likely but who knows.

Maybe they want to be a part of the conversation again. I mean, lets be honest they've become a very casual device company that serves casuals who will only buy a game or two and forget about the system. Maybe they want more of that hardcore audience that buys more games and then spends money on those games' microtransactions/DLC through out the entirety of the systems' life cycle.   
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline Brutalimp

• View Profile
Press X to doubt

Offline year0

• MVP
    • View Profile

IIRC their physical specs are better in terms of absorbing damage lol
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
It's happened before. N64 was a powerful console that was limited by not having a CD-Rom drive. Gamecube was also more powerful than PS2 though not as powerful as Xbox 1. Of course, as I mentioned, it's not likely but who knows.
Both lackluster consoles marketing place wise, they were awesome by its time. N64 hurt by the media (cartridges), Gamecube (miniDVD) but the real culprit has been Nintendo's greedy closed-out and expensive licenses and anti-piracy measurements. Remember the Gameboy VR, they for sure have learned the lesson: Software over Hardware. Specially on consoles business where these are sold in a loss. By any stretch of the imagination they aren't big as Microsoft or Sony to handle with that.

They have reinvented themselves and turn more flexible, Satoru Iwata (RIP) was big part of it.

I mean, lets be honest they've become a very casual device company that serves casuals who will only buy a game or two and forget about the system. Maybe they want more of that hardcore audience that buys more games and then spends money on those games' microtransactions/DLC through out the entirety of the systems' life cycle.

Believed or not, gaming industry is sustained by casual players, competitive are a small niche. They are fewer by noisier.

Most of that hardcore audience are kids or young fellas, but the big wallets are on the 33 or above age, same people who grew with Nintendo who now has the acquisitive power and little time to play, that's why a hybrid portable console has been a success. Switch has been the most sale console on recent years, recently beaten a big milestone accomplish by Playstation.

I really doubt most Switch owners buy one or two games and drop it, that sounds like a judgment from someone coming from privileged scenario. Nintendo games keep coming and people pay, notice these are rarely on sale... (nintendo greedyness) and on top of that nintendo starts to remove games on purpose (Super Mario 3D World) to trigger a FOMO buying.

But its hardware is pretty limited and starts to show it. Recent games are making Switch break the sweat heavily, 4K standard is making pressure and I guess that's why they are obliged to release an upgraded version, because if it wasn't for that they will be OK no need to release a new version, they figure the production cost, they don't need to spent money to change its production chain and support a new device.

Not trying to argue with you or say that I'm right or your are not - no is an opinion, believe me I will LOVE to see a powerful nintendo like SuperNintendo back in the day (my favorite console) but this Japanese Company are very cautious, wise, because its fails and screw ups have created opportunities for the competition and even new consoles (PS).

I own a Nintendo Switch, and loved it, I wish it has better battery life and screen (OLED) and of course better controllers, which it seams give them Playstation and Microsoft the awareness that they can "Phoebus-Cartel" gaming devices.

Remember, thing aren't made to last because it will stop people to buy new things. And just like Ford discover at the beginning of the era of automobile, that they could change paint on cars on each year to create demand for their cars (before all were only black). Maybe now consumers can force companies to stop doing these "Apple downgrade force obsolescence" techniques but the only flaw that will make things obsolete is us, the consumer... we don't NEED Switch 4K, but they will create that need.
« Last Edit: 02:10 PM - 04/13/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline Gamethurst

• Mirino
    • View Profile

Hi antithesis MVP
just scrolled around in this thread... and have been stopped by your iconic classic profil img/gif of PONG...  :D :D :D
again.. huge flashback into my childhood.. my uncle was one of the "first" in family and neighborhood to get PNG on the table....  Was thrilled to play it like a weirdo..

Thx for having your profil img led to a happy memory flashback.
Thankful as this great man has past away a couple of years ago.. and this was a nice way to think back.
 :'(
Never look back. Never Quit.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
I was born in the year Pong was invented and it was my first video game, so I can relate to the nostalgia :)

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Admin