XIM Community

Best keypad to use with Xim  (Read 502 times)

Offline warzoneking

• View Profile
Best keypad to use with Xim
« on: 10:30 PM - 04/01/21 »
Thinking about trying a keypad. Was wondering what is the best keypad to use with analog stick. I saw someone say the Razer one isnít analog like the controller.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Best keypad to use with Xim
« Reply #1 on: 11:50 PM - 04/01/21 »
There are only three viable analog options and two are no longer in production. Logitech G13, Sony Navigation Controller and Azeron Compact (donít get the Classic).

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline warzoneking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:13 AM - 04/02/21 »
Ok thanks anti. The Azeron is kinda pricey. I might try and get a old Logitech G13 off eBay.

There are only three viable analog options and two are no longer in production. Logitech G13, Sony Navigation Controller and Azeron Compact (donít get the Classic).

Offline warzoneking

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:42 PM - 04/02/21 »
what do you guys prefer? any ximmers prefer analog keypad or keyboard?

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ceebs_63
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #4 on: 04:45 AM - 04/03/21 »
I use a digital keypad (in my sig, below).

In my experience, older keyboarders tend to prefer digital, where as those coming from console look for analogue movement.

There are are few exceptions: antithesis, for example, took the time to get used to analogue with the Azeron. Guess I'm probably just a bit stuck in my ways. But the Azeron's a great piece of kit and has an excellent analogue thumb stick.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, 1TB Crucial MX500, XSX, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: 01:56 PM - 04/03/21 »
It only took 4 hours of running around in Fallout 76 to get used to analog movement. That game has dodgy keybinds, so if all I had to do was concentrate on movement, it would have taken less time.

I love my Ergodox EZ for kb gaming (ortholinear key layout wrecks offset), but pushing movement from WASD to the thumb opens up a wealth of customisation options.

I have a Wooting Two and a Cooler Master ControlPad for analog WASD input, but itís not the same as an analog stick. My next kb will be the second generation Wooting One. Apparently the optical analog keys are much better than the current gen.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline AgentSmith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:14 AM - 04/08/21 »
I cannot praise the G13 enough as a keyboard, I have had one since they first released and bought a second off eBay a few years ago.

Although they have some small issues for me personally regarding the analog stick.

The analog stick has a tiny top which makes it awkward to use with it's tight springs, and it's position isn't ideal.
I never really used the analog stick because of those factors.
The other reason I didn't use it's analog stick was, I use Xim Link and Xim link doesn't work with the analog stick of the G13 although SandHawkC worked flawlessly with the G13 analog stick. 

In the end I just prefer the fact keys are way faster for movement and I don't really see any benefit to analog movement except variable speed which we can do in a limited way in the Xim.

I am currently in the process of converting one of my G13's to have low profile mechanical keys, retaining the original key caps, but I am doing it in a way it can be made as an upgrade kit.

I did also purchase a Wooting One analog keyboard, which as a keyboard works great, but it has it's multitude of problems, which in the end made me pack it up and put it in the cupboard to wait for a later date when maybe the software/firmware can be made to work properly.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #7 on: 03:19 PM - 04/08/21 »
Wooting kb build quality is excellent, but the optical analog switches didn't come close to expectations for gaming. The new Wooting One model will hopefully deliver on that promise.

G13 is for right-handers. I'm left-handed  :-\ Azeron was my only choice as there are no viable ambidextrous or lefty mice to pair with a Nav controller (G900 is the best option, but it's palm grip...yuck!). I'd probably go with a Tartarus if the d-pad was an analog stick...and if they had a lefty model.

The biggest advantage of analog movement is you swap the three WASD fingers for a thumb, which is otherwise reduced to bashing the Spacebar on a kb when it's capable of so much more. That frees up significant binding opportunities for things like concurrent melee + shoot, improved jump, slide, crouch, reload, change weapon etc as movement never needs to be compromised to hit other buttons. D-pad remains a problem, regardless of input device (except Tartarus, at the cost of analog movement), but Azeron has a handy 4-way hat switch for that.

The other advantage of analog input is left-stick aim assist. Digital WASD input cuts right through it, whereas analog input works with it. That does make a difference when controller users have better aim assist than m/kb in online multiplayer. We've got them at mid to long-range with better accuracy, but they have us dead to rights in close quarters thanks largely to AA.

That and variable 0 to 100% input speed and 360 degree directional control are superior to WASD's 0 or 100% speed in 8 directions. I've never had a problem with kb movement for PC games, but analog is objectively better for games with controller support.
« Last Edit: 03:38 PM - 04/08/21 by antithesis »

Offline warzoneking

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05:52 PM - 04/08/21 »
Thatís it. You convinced me to get the Azeron antithesis lol

Offline AgentSmith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11:18 PM - 04/08/21 »
Wooting kb build quality is excellent, but the optical analog switches didn't come close to expectations for gaming
Absolutely it is,   most of my issues were related to it's software and the poor way the TKL was implemented.

G13 is for right-handers. I'm left-handed  :-\ Azeron was my only choice as there are no viable ambidextrous or lefty mice to pair with a Nav controller (G900 is the best option, but it's palm grip...yuck!). I'd probably go with a Tartarus if the d-pad was an analog stick...and if they had a lefty model.
It most definitely is for righties, ( normal people  :D :D :D )
I've never tried the Azeron, never had the confidence to spend that much money on something so experimental, that isn't an insult to the azeron, I am sure you will get what I mean there.

The biggest advantage of analog movement is you swap the three WASD fingers for a thumb, which is otherwise reduced to bashing the Spacebar on a kb when it's capable of so much more. That frees up significant binding opportunities for things like concurrent melee + shoot, improved jump, slide, crouch, reload, change weapon etc as movement never needs to be compromised to hit other buttons. D-pad remains a problem, regardless of input device (except Tartarus, at the cost of analog movement), but Azeron has a handy 4-way hat switch for that.
All good points, Personally I utilise the mouse buttons for many of the stuff you just mentioned, my main reason for using the g502 mouse. My space bar is used for sprint with xim, and either sprint or jump on pc games ( depending on what is more dominant )  but I have over the years developed a knack for using thumb for half of the bottom key row too.
The other advantage of analog input is left-stick aim assist. Digital WASD input cuts right through it, whereas analog input works with it. That does make a difference when controller users have better aim assist than m/kb in online multiplayer. We've got them at mid to long-range with better accuracy, but they have us dead to rights in close quarters thanks largely to AA.
Hmm AA,    hehe,  my feeling about AA usage are well documented. :D

Some great points there, my comments are simply personal, I am fairly sure other people would freak out trying to use my basic mouse and key binds, Some of which I can only do with the Xim as some PC games don't allow you to use the scroll wheel in the way I prefer to use it.

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02:28 PM - 04/09/21 »
Orbweaver, I had (4). Now is discontinued, Tartarus will be my next.

Having WASD + 5 different buttons at my thumb reach, is very powerful.

Offline biscojoe

• bisco ❤
    • View Profile
    • twitch
  • Gamertag: biscojoe42
« Reply #11 on: 12:41 AM - 04/11/21 »
i use a koolertron RGB 9key cherry mx red mech keypad with a g pro hero/nav. works well. cheers
Xim Apex ✔ Xbox Series X ✔ Dell S2721DGF ✔ Sony Nav ✔ QcK Heavy ✔ G Pro

✌💋

Admin