XIM Community

[Q/A] Trying to connect a third party Joy-Con.  (Read 385 times)

Offline xyphonic

• View Profile
I'm using my XIM Apex (on the latest beta firmware) with my PS5.  It's working great with a Qanba Pearl as my third party PS4 controller, Logitech G Pro Wireless mouse, and PS Nav (wireless).

Now I'm trying to replace the PS Nav with the left side of this 3rd party Joy-Con from Binbok: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B08M5RW5QP

This controller released recently and has been getting great reviews, both on Amazon and YouTube, so it doesn't seem to be a cheap piece of junk. The hardware feels great when I use it on my Switch.

Speaking of, the Binbok pairs to my Nintendo Switch just fine and works wirelessly with it.  It seems to have extremely low latency too.  It also pairs to my MacBook Pro via bluetooth with no issues.

I can connect an official Joy-Con to my Apex just fine.  It pairs instantly on the first try and that's repeatable.  When I try to pair the Binbok to the Apex it never leaves pairing mode. The Apex only stays in pairing mode for a couple seconds but the 4 pairing lights on the Binbok just keep cycling endlessly. When the Binbok is paired to my Switch, one of the 4 lights goes solid just like an official Joy-Con.

I've done a hard reset on the Binbok multiple times and I've tried all combinations of unplugging the Apex and restarting it while the PS5 is on, plugging it in and then starting the PS5, rebooting the PS5 with the Apex connected, etc.  The mouse and Qanba are still working fine on the Apex each time but the Binbok just refuses to pair.

One question I have is if the Apex has a bluetooth version requirement?  The Binbok uses Bluetooth 2.1 while the official Joy-Con uses Bluetooth 3.0.  Other than the BT version, the Binbok doesn't seem to have any other differences to the official Joy-Con that I can attribute to it not working with the Apex. It even shows up as "Joy-Con (L)" in the Bluetooth menu on my MacBook, just like an official Joy-Con

Any other suggestions that might get this working?  This Binbok is much more comfortable than the Nav, it's feather lightweight, Charges via USB C, the stick and buttons feel much more precise, and the Binbok has an assignable paddle on the backside which would be super helpful in FPS games. I'd love to get it working with my Apex because it seems like it could be the wireless Nav replacement that we've all been searching for. 

Appreciate any input I can get. Thanks!
« Last Edit: 10:48 AM - 01/28/21 by mist4fun »
XIM Apex | XSX | PS5 | G303 Shroud Edition | PS Nav | JDS Atom DAC⇢Subjective3⇢Atom Amp⇢SHP9500

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Trying to connect a third party Joy-Con.
« Reply #1 on: 04:13 AM - 01/28/21 »
This is one for OBsIV, so I'm not going to pretend to know the answer, but it may need to be whitelisted by XIM APEX to be compatible. If you have a Titan Two, capturing the USB descriptors might help.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline xyphonic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:41 AM - 01/28/21 »
This is one for OBsIV, so I'm not going to pretend to know the answer, but it may need to be whitelisted by XIM APEX to be compatible. If you have a Titan Two, capturing the USB descriptors might help.

Thanks man.  I'll wait to see what he has to say about it.  OBsIV: I don't have a Titan but I have Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and jailbroken iOS if I can get the data you need from any of those. 

Anti, check out the ergonomics on this controller:

https://imgur.com/a/HUht0ck

It fits in my relaxed hand perfectly and my fingers just naturally rest where they should.  It weighs 82 grams vs. 122g for the Nav and it has 12 buttons to work with vs. 10 on the Nav.  Really hope we can get it working because years of Nav use is really taking its toll on my hand.  I think I'm getting a freakin' repetitive stress injury from it. 
XIM Apex | XSX | PS5 | G303 Shroud Edition | PS Nav | JDS Atom DAC⇢Subjective3⇢Atom Amp⇢SHP9500

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:48 AM - 01/28/21 »
That does look nice. Yes, it would need individual support and I think a concern for supporting nav like devices in the past has been if they are used by many people and if they will continue to be around in the future.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline xyphonic

• View Profile
Re: [Q/A] Trying to connect a third party Joy-Con.
« Reply #4 on: 07:43 PM - 01/28/21 »
That does look nice. Yes, it would need individual support and I think a concern for supporting nav like devices in the past has been if they are used by many people and if they will continue to be around in the future.

If you guys want to treat this like a transaction then feel free to send a quote to my inbox.  I'm happy to pay for your time to get support added for this device. I've used it on my Switch for about 8 hours now and it's surprisingly high quality, up there with an OEM Switch Pro Controller.  Thanks a bunch!

Offline xyphonic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:35 AM - 02/05/21 »
Just wanted to circle back on this before my return period for the controller runs out.  Any chance the XIM team could take a look at adding support for this controller?  I understand that XIM is coming out with an input device and I'll certainly buy one if the ergonomics work for me (I've bought every other XIM device) but it would be great to have a comfortable Nav alternative to use until the release of that device, especially one with an assignable back paddle.

Offline xyphonic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:50 AM - 02/08/21 »
...Alright cool, thanks for the help =/

Offline TurboMan

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:56 PM - 05/30/22 »
Sorry to be bumping old threads, but I just discovered this controller also and stumbled upon this thread in my searches to see if it's working with the XIM. I assume it's not going by this thread, which is a great shame. The Nav is extremely popular for XIM users - well, the Binbok has more available buttons than the Nav and it's way more ergonomic by the looks of it. It's definitely a potential Nav replacement and I'm kinda shocked that it's not been picked up on.

Offline TurboMan

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:22 AM - 06/12/22 »
Sooo another bump. I got it working on the XIM with a Mayflash Magic NS 2 adapter. It's kind of meh, though. The back paddle can only be mapped to one of the buttons on that same left controller, can only be a clone, not an extra individual button. The bottom button on the front can't be mapped to any XIM buttons. The SL and SR buttons aren't recognised by the XIM either, even if you map one of them to the back paddle.

So basically, imagine losing the PS button and triangle button off he front of the Nav, then moving the circle button to the back (assuming you map the MINUS button to the back paddle). If that sounds good, the Binbok Joycon is for you. Personally, I'm just left with fewer buttons than before which isn't worth it seeing how I use a G305.
« Last Edit: 12:20 PM - 06/12/22 by TurboMan »