XIM Community

XIM Apex vs native keyboard and mouse support on PS4  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Meerkat140

• View Profile
Sorry if this has been asked but I am looking to buy a XIM to use a kb/m exclusively for playing Cold War on PS4. Given that Cold War lets you use kb/m without an adapter, is there any benefit of using a XIM? For example, does using native kb/m would this limit match making, ie would I only be matched with other keyboard/mouse users? Also I briefly tried the native kbm support and it felt pretty terrible, would XIM provide a better experience? I used a XIM way back in the day on the original Black Ops and that felt much smoother. Thanks in advance!

Offline Kingownagexx

• Xbox Ambassador
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: King Ownage XV
Re: XIM Apex vs native keyboard and mouse support on PS4
« Reply #1 on: 07:19 AM - 12/06/20 »
If you're only buying the XIM Apex to use it on games that natively support Mouse and Keyboard you will regret it. I love XIM but I always plug it in natively if I'm playing warzone or cold war. XIM emulates the controllers analog movement and converts it into mouse movement so the mouse movement is no where near as snappy good or precise as PC. Your aim can be much much better on Native mouse than on the XIM, and I recommend only using it on games with either buggy keyboard support or none.
XIM Apex - Xbox One X

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 11:02 AM - 12/06/20 »
Welcome to the community. In games that matchmake based on input, you'll be playing against controller players with a XIM. If you are using native mouse, you'll be playing against other M+K players.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Skeeboe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:08 AM - 12/06/20 »
I want to love native kb/m with CW but I just canít get there. Iíve flipped back and forth at least 5 times over the last 2 weeks and each time the XIM just feels better to me. Iíve used XIM with mouse and Nav for years so going back to a kb will have a slight learning curve but I was a PC gamer long before PS or XBOX so I could ďretrainĒ to the kb with practice... Itís the native mouse movement Iím struggling with. Iíve fiddled with the many in game mouse settings and I just canít seem to find anything that feels right. I know there are many on here who enjoy the native support but Iíll list the pros/cons of native as I see them:

Pros:
1. Less input lag albeit insignificantly small (in theory apples to apples)
2. Ability to play PS5 version of the game (more on this below)

Cons:
1. No aim assist that I can tell (AA in this game is CRAZY high)
2. Doesnít recognize some of my mouse buttons.
3. Cant use the Nav controller.
4. Other unseen/unknown built in ďnerfsĒ for native users to give controller users a fighting chance? Itís no secret the game devs continue to enhance the in game leveling of the playing field so everyone gets a trophy.

So to elaborate on the ability to play PS5 version... Thereís HDMI 2.1 support which brings 120hz refresh rate support (see my previous post for a nerdy explanation on that) but more surprisingly the server side and client side polling or ďtickĒ rate is 120 while playing PS5 game version. PS4 game version always polls at 60 client and server regardless of which console you play on. This is a HUGE! In theory the higher tick rates along with 120hz console and screen should equate to a superior gaming experience right? Not so fast my friends! See con #4 above... I just canít really put my finger on it but I truly believe thereís more built in nerfs for native than just the lack of AA.

I didnít read any of this on google. Everything above is based on my actual experience with my internet, my PS5 (and PS4), and the dedicated servers Iíve been connecting to (although I have seen some peer to peer as well which is a completely different rabbit hole I wonít go down). Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: 11:22 AM - 12/06/20 by Skeeboe »

Offline Skeeboe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:17 AM - 12/06/20 »
Welcome to the community. In games that matchmake based on input, you'll be playing against controller players with a XIM. If you are using native mouse, you'll be playing against other M+K players.

This is only partially correct... I routinely play with controller users while Iím using native kb/m. When we have more than 6 players, sometimes our friends will join our party after weíve started searching for a match... Ultimately putting them on the opposing team (all playing with controllers). We all have crossplay turned off (to avoid the PC sweaties...lol). On a side note, crossplay off still allows PS4 and PS5 to play together.

Offline Maxxgold

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Maxxgold
  • PSN ID: Maxxgold
« Reply #5 on: 12:48 PM - 12/06/20 »
I want to love native kb/m with CW but I just canít get there. Iíve flipped back and forth at least 5 times over the last 2 weeks and each time the XIM just feels better to me. Iíve used XIM with mouse and Nav for years so going back to a kb will have a slight learning curve but I was a PC gamer long before PS or XBOX so I could ďretrainĒ to the kb with practice... Itís the native mouse movement Iím struggling with. Iíve fiddled with the many in game mouse settings and I just canít seem to find anything that feels right. I know there are many on here who enjoy the native support but Iíll list the pros/cons of native as I see them:

Pros:
1. Less input lag albeit insignificantly small (in theory apples to apples)
2. Ability to play PS5 version of the game (more on this below)

Cons:
1. No aim assist that I can tell (AA in this game is CRAZY high)
2. Doesnít recognize some of my mouse buttons.
3. Cant use the Nav controller.
4. Other unseen/unknown built in ďnerfsĒ for native users to give controller users a fighting chance? Itís no secret the game devs continue to enhance the in game leveling of the playing field so everyone gets a trophy.

So to elaborate on the ability to play PS5 version... Thereís HDMI 2.1 support which brings 120hz refresh rate support (see my previous post for a nerdy explanation on that) but more surprisingly the server side and client side polling or ďtickĒ rate is 120 while playing PS5 game version. PS4 game version always polls at 60 client and server regardless of which console you play on. This is a HUGE! In theory the higher tick rates along with 120hz console and screen should equate to a superior gaming experience right? Not so fast my friends! See con #4 above... I just canít really put my finger on it but I truly believe thereís more built in nerfs for native than just the lack of AA.

I didnít read any of this on google. Everything above is based on my actual experience with my internet, my PS5 (and PS4), and the dedicated servers Iíve been connecting to (although I have seen some peer to peer as well which is a completely different rabbit hole I wonít go down). Hope this helps!

Nice post. I agree with everything. The number one thing for me though, Is the Sony Navigation controller. I just canít play without it. I love that Sony controller so much. I went to GameStop a few years ago and bought all of them. I canít play any shooter without it. :)
[Instructional Videos]
http://xim.tech/instructional-videos/

[HOW TO FIND YOUR PERFECT XIM SENSITIVITY]
http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=60845.0

[Xim Apex Manager & Firmware]
http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=60725.0

[Console Controller Crossover]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_X_ntzv_zc

(My Current Setup)
-Xim Apex
-G502 set @ 1000Hz Polling and 12,000DPI
-Sony Navigation Controller
-Razer Black Widow Stealth V1 Keyboard (used sparingly)

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 08:53 PM - 12/06/20 »
I agree, analog movement with mouse aim is the best combination.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Santigold

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04:39 AM - 12/07/20 »
I agree, analog movement with mouse aim is the best combination.

At very high level of skill analog movement is a disadvantage, because you can strafe faster (left, right) and more precise with digital input- i. e. keyboard buttons.

With analogue stick you just have too much travel distance of the stick when you strafe left/right, left/right, half circle backwards, half circle forwards etc.

Dimitri from Hardwarecanucks on Youtube came to the same conclusion when he tested the Azeron keypad. He said, he didnt like the analog movement with the analog stick, because it held him back in how he wanted to move in CS Go, i. e. too much travel distance of the stick for strafing left/right.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05:27 AM - 12/07/20 »
CSGO is a pretty stupid game to compare the two inputs though as the game relies SO much on momentum-canceling to zero out your crosshair. Anything that will increase your time to cancel your character momentum is a disadvantage.
The entire opposite would be Fortnite, in which an analog stick would be superiour to keyboard inputs especially in build fights. Plus strafing is completely useless in Fortnite.

While for PC i agree that a keyboard is the better choice as WASD provides a better balance/foundation for free mouse aiming, on consoles its a different story as the aim assist works so much better when using an analog stick. Especially in games with a very strong aim assist the advantages of an analog stick are incredible. Note: analog sticks dont really increase the aim assist but help to reduce lots of aim assist issues.
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline yaas2.0

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: tokoloshe2
« Reply #9 on: 05:37 AM - 12/07/20 »
If you're only buying the XIM Apex to use it on games that natively support Mouse and Keyboard you will regret it. I love XIM but I always plug it in natively if I'm playing warzone or cold war. XIM emulates the controllers analog movement and converts it into mouse movement so the mouse movement is no where near as snappy good or precise as PC. Your aim can be much much better on Native mouse than on the XIM, and I recommend only using it on games with either buggy keyboard support or none.

I donít agree with this. Native mouse and keyboard feels terrible on a console, itís floaty and has too much input lag, even the sensitivity doesnít feel the same. Use the xim apex is much better

Offline Nferguzl

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Ferdster911
« Reply #10 on: 06:14 PM - 12/08/20 »
I agree that native is better for aiming because it is snappier and more pc-like, but xim edges out with the superior AA. This is especially true for longer shots where it is difficult to target without the aim assist.