XIM Community

XIM APEX BETA [Firmware 20201129] [Xbox Series X/S]  (Read 3394 times)

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
This BETA firmware build adds support for Xbox Series X/S controllers on both Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One consoles.

Changes since the last BETA:
We've been working to track down reports we've been seeing concerning Xbox Series X consoles spontaneously shutting down. The issue looks to be wide spread beyond the XIM community as there are many reports and articles of this online. We are able to reproduce the problem and have spent days running automated input stress tests on XIM APEX's Series X/S support to understand the problem more. The results are pointing to this being an Xbox issue related to their changes in how they handle latency. We are going to wait to see how Microsoft addresses this.

In the meantime, we've tested a temporary fix so that XIM APEX users that are using Series X/S controllers won't experience these random console shutdowns. The only compromise is that the dedicated share button will no longer work. However, if you want to capture a clip or screenshot, all you need to do is using the existing shortcuts (such as Guide + X).

This drop also fixes an issue with buttons on PS4 being swapped.

FEEDBACK: Please help us test this new support and provide feedback here (even if you are gaming on an Xbox One).

You can use any version of Manager with this firmware build.

XIM APEX Firmware

Download XIM APEX Firmware Tool 20201129 for PC
Windows 7/8/8.1/10 x86/x64

Download XIM APEX Firmware Tool 20201129 for Mac
macOS 10.11 or higher

Flash Upgrade Instructions (instructional video):
1. Hold down the button on your XIM APEX
2. Plug your XIM APEX into your computer while continuing to hold the button
3. Wait for your XIM APEX's light to display blue and then release the button
4. Download and run the XIMAPEXFlash tool
5. Select Update Firmware
6. Disconnect your XIM APEX from your computer after the tool completes
« Last Edit: 12:36 PM - 12/02/20 by OBsIV »
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline link575

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: LoneWolf575
OBsIV I have been experiencing crashes but using the Xbox One controller, will this assist in that also or will the fix only take effect if using the X|S controller?

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
OBsIV I have been experiencing crashes but using the Xbox One controller, will this assist in that also or will the fix only take effect if using the X|S controller?

By crashes do you mean console shutdowns?

Offline link575

• View Profile
Hm, perhaps? Whatever is playing will freeze, crash, then the box will shut down. It's not just a sudden shut down with no other symptoms.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
This sounds different than the spontaneous shutdowns that we've been tracking. However, we tested this latest firmware and ran stress tests on it for 12 hours straight and there was no issue. Is it always happening in a specific game?

Offline link575

• View Profile
Just the dashboard and COD so maybe it was just a COD thing. Either way, I played for a couple hours and tonight and it didn't crash so that's good I suppose. Initially had trouble with any controller authenticating with new FW and had to hard reset to get it to work and also my controller just shut off following audio stutter in the middle of a game once. Other than that everything was fine.

Offline Sgt8Bit

• MVP
    • View Profile
Obsiv

Xbox rolled out a system update yesterday for all Xbox consoles.  I believe this update had a fix for the console crashing as it was high on their priority list. 

Can you see if this fix affects the latest XIM firmware as you mentioned you did a work around to help prevent the system from crashing which impacts the share button (which isn't a big deal IMO).
Consoles: Xbox Series X, Playstation 4 Pro
Display: 55" LG CX
Audio: 2019 Mixamp Pro TR, Audio Technica ATH-ADG1X
Keyboard: Razer Tartarus Pro
Mouse: Logitech G502 SE Hero
Pad: Logitech G440

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Thanks for the heads up, we will start running stress runs on this new system update.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Feedback from Youtube is that this firmware indeed helped to solve wrong button inputs on PS4 (such as touchpad resulting in the share button) :).
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline Bexxxeyy

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Bexxxeyy
I can confirm this . I havenít been able to play all day on my series x . I play rainbow size siege for 30 min , my xim starts blinking freezes my console and shuts it down . It happens with any game . I downloaded the beta rn so hopefully I can test it .

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
I can confirm this . I havenít been able to play all day on my series x . I play rainbow size siege for 30 min , my xim starts blinking freezes my console and shuts it down . It happens with any game . I downloaded the beta rn so hopefully I can test it .

This likely isn't your XIM that is causing this. I do recommend using the Beta. Also, it appears that Xbox has released a patch. We are testing it right now.

Offline Sgt8Bit

• MVP
    • View Profile
So I've noticed an interesting "bug" that I thought was my usb c to usb a cable connected to my series x controller... But after testing multiple cables, can confirm it isn't the cable.

So I have my series x in energy saving mode which means I boot my system up cold every time I shut down.

From a cold boot, I launch hdr settings in the Xbox (because these settings reset every time from a cold reboot and not instant on).  From there I launch cold war.  When I jump into a multiplayer match (online or local) I get terrible stutter in cold war... Almost as if the game is running at a very low frame rate.

Now if I close the game and reboot my series x, launch cold war, the stuttering goes away.  I find it only happens after I turn on my series x from a cold boot (ie: booting the series x up after being fully shut down from being in energy saving mode).

I've only noticed this after the cold war ST was released.  If there's more info I can provide somehow (ie: logs) let me know.
Consoles: Xbox Series X, Playstation 4 Pro
Display: 55" LG CX
Audio: 2019 Mixamp Pro TR, Audio Technica ATH-ADG1X
Keyboard: Razer Tartarus Pro
Mouse: Logitech G502 SE Hero
Pad: Logitech G440

Online bigmasta

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: bigmasta
  • PSN ID: bigmasta73
I've only noticed this after the cold war ST was released.  If there's more info I can provide somehow (ie: logs) let me know.
this Problem is since Cold War is out and has nothing to do with the ST
XSX
PS5 Digital Edition

Offline Joe1975

• View Profile
XSX with XSX-Controller (connected to Titan Two).

Press Home-Button on the Controller goes directy to "Shut Down"-Screen (not the Home-Screen)

Old Firmware: It worked normal / This firmware: bug...:-)

Offline audizzle88

• View Profile
Hm, perhaps? Whatever is playing will freeze, crash, then the box will shut down. It's not just a sudden shut down with no other symptoms.

so I have never had a shutdown issue and played MW, Cold War, and r6 for hours. I have been on the series x since release. I updated to new FW and used new series X controller with xim last night and in game screen freezes, headset makes crazy screeching sound, and screen is frozen for 6 seconds and console shuts down. my mind is boggled