XIM Community

[Q/A] About Powered USB hub  (Read 242 times)

Offline facqmofo

• View Profile
[Q/A] About Powered USB hub
« on: 08:41 AM - 11/27/20 »
So I'm thinking of getting a mechanical keyboard but it has rgb lighting. I read in the forum that xim apex might have problem with it cause of the power it may need to make the lights work. If I get the recommended powered USB hub, how should I connect it to the XIM? Should I connect First the powered hub to my Xbox one X and then on the hub I connect the XIM apex? Or the other way around? Thanks for answering this stupid question xD
« Last Edit: 10:17 AM - 11/27/20 by mist4fun »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: About Powered USB hub
« Reply #1 on: 10:17 AM - 11/27/20 »
The powered hub could replace the APEX hub completely. Look for a hub with power that is 5v 3A or greater. The order is console > APEX > powered hub > peripherals.

XIM4 users would attach the powered hub to a XIM4 port that works for them.

-

Alternatively, APEX's hub has a small port for a specific power adapter. APEX supports power adapters using the spec below and can be found on amazon or ebay. To prevent damage to your peripherals do not use a power adapter that doesn't match this spec and do not use a power adapter with an adjustable voltage switch.

5V 3A power adapter  ([3.5mm x 1.35mm], center-positive)
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline facqmofo

• View Profile
Re: About Powered USB hub
« Reply #2 on: 07:47 PM - 11/27/20 »
The powered hub could replace the APEX hub completely. Look for a hub with power that is 5v 3A or greater. The order is console > APEX > powered hub > peripherals.

XIM4 users would attach the powered hub to a XIM4 port that works for them.

-

Alternatively, APEX's hub has a small port for a specific power adapter. APEX supports power adapters using the spec below and can be found on amazon or ebay. To prevent damage to your peripherals do not use a power adapter that doesn't match this spec and do not use a power adapter with an adjustable voltage switch.

5V 3A power adapter  ([3.5mm x 1.35mm], center-positive)

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm off to buy it then along with my keyboard, better be safe than sorry.

PS, is it safe to use the power supply tho? The specific one you told me?
« Last Edit: 08:27 PM - 11/27/20 by facqmofo »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: [Q/A] About Powered USB hub
« Reply #3 on: 10:05 AM - 11/30/20 »
Yes, everything will be fine as long as you stick with the spec if buying a power adapter. If using a powered hub then you could use whatever power spec they offer but if going this route you should consider still using a high power adapter with at least 5v3A or more.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Admin