XIM Community

HDMI Audio Extractor for Xbox Series X to run with 120hz (for 1080/1440p)  (Read 6902 times)

Offline misdah

• View Profile
Hey folks,

I am mainly looking for a solution for my xbox series x to run it with 120hz on 1080p and ideally also on 1440 while keep on using my SBx g6 + AKG K702+ Modmic.
In general HDMI 2.0 audio extractor with SPDIF should be sufficient right? Most of the devices are only referring to 60 hz for 4k, not really giving any details for 1080p and how many hz, same for 1440p...as per HDMi 2.0 standard spec it should be running also with 120hz on these 2 different resolutions right? The one from Astro is sold out, I am struggling to get another one from EU Shops (ideally from Germany) due to lack of information available in the datasheets, in addition I donīt really want to spend 50 bucks for this...
Appreciate any type of support/recommendation/advice

Thanks in advance.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
My advice would be to buy the cheapest one that still barely matches the required specs given that the device is just a temporary solution anway until proper HDMI 2.1 extractors are available, or your future HDMI 2.1 monitor comes with an optical out port so you wouldnt need the extractor anyway anymore.

Even worse for PS5 owners as 3D audio is not supported over HDMI (yet) with no ETA on when Sony will add that.

Either way this is the extractor a friend of me bought, note that he doesnt have a 4K monitor yet and his current monitor only offers 120hz over displayport, so these werent equired specs the device had to cover:
https://www.amazon.de/Snxiwth-Konverter-Optisches-5-mm-Stereo-HDMI-Audio-Extractor/dp/B07FX6C7TP/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=Q1UY1IT5EHOK&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+audio+extractor&qid=1605866858&sprefix=hdmi+audio%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-3
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline misdah

• View Profile
Thanks @Od1n for this feedback.
I checked the extractor you posted, yes this would work, however it is really barely meeting the technical requirements.
Means for me in this case I am not really interested in HDMI 2.1 or [email protected], I am more looking to play with 120fps on my 144hz monitor, either in 1080p (which I have currently) or in1440p (which I am consering to buy in the next days).
I see that the new device from Astro which would support this is unfortunately sold out anywhere.
And I am struggling to find any device in EU (ideally in Germany) which confirms 120hz for 1080 or 1440p, if I find one it itīs sold out/not available :/

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Just a few days ago i found plenty of HDMI 2.0 extractors on german amazon for around 25-30€, are they all sold out already?
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline misdah

• View Profile
well the ones available mentioning HDMI 2.0 do only confirm [email protected], either no details on 1080/1440p or simply mentioning also 60hz which I doubt...but also donīt want to risk. I contacted a couple of them asking this, but still no answer.
The ones confirming 120hz for 1080p at least were sold out...Would really appreciate if someone can enlighten me with an available alternative :)

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
I contact Orei Electronics they expect to have their SPDIF Audio Extractors HDMI 2.1 in February.

They are struggling with electronics supplies due COVID, also HDMI forum certification has to green up its product.

These are well built, metal housing tested and great quality (around $35) better than Astro's.

Its current product on the market is HDMI 2.0b and offers:

Supported Resolution:
Video Pass-through Up to 4K @ 50/60Hz (YUV4:4:4),
4K @ 30Hz, 1080P @ 120Hz and 1080P 3D @ 60Hz.
Color Depth: 10-bit, 12-bit

Supported Audio: LPCM 2/5.1/7.1CH, Dolby Digital, DTS 5.1,
Dolby Digital+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X

This device supports full 12bit color depth and 1080p 120Hz, where astros is only 10 bit, and lacks of 1080p 120Hz.

Honestly is enough for most next-gen games. Very few esports will do 4K at 120Hz, triple AAA single players 4K are 60Hz at best. But if you want 4K/120Hz, wait for next year.

If you have a recent 4K TV most likely it have SPDIF / Out so you don't really need it. However, several monitors and TV's with built-in HDMI audio extractors tends to have ground loop issues (buzzing sound) which are unfortunately very hard to get rid off.

Offline misdah

• View Profile
I contact Orei Electronics they expect to have their SPDIF Audio Extractors HDMI 2.1 in February.

They are struggling with electronics supplies due COVID, also HDMI forum certification has to green up its product.

These are well built, metal housing tested and great quality (around $35) better than Astro's.

Its current product on the market is HDMI 2.0b and offers:

Supported Resolution:
Video Pass-through Up to 4K @ 50/60Hz (YUV4:4:4),
4K @ 30Hz, 1080P @ 120Hz and 1080P 3D @ 60Hz.
Color Depth: 10-bit, 12-bit

Supported Audio: LPCM 2/5.1/7.1CH, Dolby Digital, DTS 5.1,
Dolby Digital+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X

This device supports full 12bit color depth and 1080p 120Hz, where astros is only 10 bit, and lacks of 1080p 120Hz.

Honestly is enough for most next-gen games. Very few esports will do 4K at 120Hz, triple AAA single players 4K are 60Hz at best. But if you want 4K/120Hz, wait for next year.

If you have a recent 4K TV most likely it have SPDIF / Out so you don't really need it. However, several monitors and TV's with built-in HDMI audio extractors tends to have ground loop issues (buzzing sound) which are unfortunately very hard to get rid off.

Thanks a lot Alan.
I am not that keen on 4k and 120hz, also still sceptical on how many games this will come, as you said on AAA games it will be [email protected], so I can wait for HDMI 2.1 :)
I will be more playing FPS games online, so my sweet spot is 1440p and 120hz (27 inch or more monitor), as an alternative maybe 1080p and 120hz (24 inch monitor) on for this HDMI 2.0 should be sufficient (just not sure if it has to be HDMI 2.0b)

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Alan if you hear back from them, or the product is close to release, i wouldnt mind if you give us all a headsup in the forum ;).
Im sure a lot of people would love to buy an extractor that meets the console specs and isnt just a (more or less) temporary solution.

Offline misdah

• View Profile
I have now ordered this from the German Amazon store

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07FK5D9NM/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_awdb_imm_t1_tXpUFbWBDAA5F

It's a little expensive imo, however until I find an equal option which is cheaper I may be continue testing this one. At least they confirmed they can do 120hz up to 1440p and 60 for 4k.

Will Test it later today and if people are interested can share some more details later.

Offline Stea1th

• View Profile
I have now ordered this from the German Amazon store

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07FK5D9NM/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_awdb_imm_t1_tXpUFbWBDAA5F

It's a little expensive imo, however until I find an equal option which is cheaper I may be continue testing this one. At least they confirmed they can do 120hz up to 1440p and 60 for 4k.

Will Test it later today and if people are interested can share some more details later.

I don't have that exact one, but i picked one up that is very similar and i wouldn't be surprised if it's the same one just different branding.
https://www.sescom.com/products/view/[email protected]or-with-edid

I can confirm it works 1440p @ 120 w/ bitstream audio on the xbox series x.

I previously had the monoprice blackbird 4K and that one did work with 1440p @ 120 but i could only get 2ch audio. When putting the adapter on bitstream it would say this resolution isn't supported and drop back down to either 1440/60 or 1080p/120.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
I've been playing around with HDMI switches, splitters and extractors over the weekend. I can get a 1440p @ 120Hz, or a 4K @ 60Hz signal through to the screen, even when all of these devices are chained. The specs are simply HDMI 2.0, which supports 1440p @ 120Hz.

I plan to buy a HDMI 2.1 extractor when they pop up as I'm losing VRR on XSX in the process. That may in fact be a good thing (in my use case) as VRR can apparently negatively affect broadcasts. Viewers may see screen-tearing in the video feed as they receive a constant framerate from the Twitch or YouTube server, whereas your own framerate will vary on your console and screen.
« Last Edit: 06:06 PM - 12/21/20 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
I'm returning two of the OREI extractors I ordered back in late November. Orei was kind enough to send me 2 more as a replacement to the both I have. I'm not sure if I had defective units but they worked fine the first week then I started getting "No HDMI signal" on both. They worked great and I'm was getting 1440p @ 120hz then they both started acting up. I couldn't figure out what was going on, I even switched HDMI cables with the 2.1 cables I ordered off Amazon. Even with the cables that came with my ps5 and series x I was still getting the "no signal". They would come in intervals coming back on and then off and then eventually stay off. It's no wonder these wireless gaming headset are selling like hot cakes. No one wants to have to deal with this whole work around mess.
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline r553

• View Profile
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but do these kind of adapters add input lag or another other issues?
Also, I'm using an HDMI to DVI converter so that my older monitor can support [email protected] Think it would still be fine to use with one of these audio extractors?
Xbox One X | XIM APEX | Logitech G502 | Logitech G19s | SteelSeries QcK+ | MixAmp Pro TR | Sennheiser Game One

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but do these kind of adapters add input lag or another other issues?
Also, I'm using an HDMI to DVI converter so that my older monitor can support [email protected] Think it would still be fine to use with one of these audio extractors?
No, extracts audio signal only outputs to a different media; no video processing.

Home Theater AVR, HDMI Switch with up-scaling/PiP can.

Offline r553

• View Profile
No, extracts audio signal only outputs to a different media; no video processing.

Home Theater AVR, HDMI Switch with up-scaling/PiP can.

Thanks! So maybe the only thing to worry about would be the separation and processing of audio which could add a desync between video and audio? Sorry if that doesn't make sense - I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Any suggestions for which extractor to purchase? Not sure of anything changed in 6 months since this thread was active.
Xbox One X | XIM APEX | Logitech G502 | Logitech G19s | SteelSeries QcK+ | MixAmp Pro TR | Sennheiser Game One

Admin