XIM Community

Current Gen monitor suggestions.  (Read 6735 times)

Offline RML

• MVP
  • AKA "KO" - PUBG Shield [ON]
    • View Profile
Current Gen monitor suggestions.
« on: 05:29 PM - 11/18/20 »
Hey folks just wanted to share my find and leave a post for others to share as well. Honestly I was going to wait awhile for the monitor suppliers to catch up. However with Covid 19 still on the tear and businesses dragging there feet, I saw this bargain and couldn’t pass it up.

I just picked up this monitor on sale for $399.00 and I am really enjoying it. I’ll be honest I was a little hesitant at first as I’ve always been a BenQ kind of guy. This is actually the 1st Dell monitor I’ve ever bought. Granted it uses the same Display as the famed LG 27GL850. Dell has actually taken the best 1440p display and made it better.

I personally only want a 1440p gaming monitor as this is the best option for FPS’s on Xbox Series X in my opinion. And this thing checks all the boxes for me.

- IPS (Fast response times)
- 1440p (Great visuals without delay, 1440p at 120hz is going to be as good as it gets on console).
- 165hz (more then enough for this generation)
- VRR
- It works out of the box with Series X

Here’s a solid review, you can check it out for yourself. She really is a beautiful beast!

I wouldn’t recommend this for PS5 though as 1440p is not supported on that platform sadly.

« Last Edit: 11:06 AM - 12/11/20 by RML »

Offline Rockyruption

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Rockyruption
Re: Current Gen monitor suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: 12:00 AM - 11/19/20 »
Not trying to have a go at you man, or troll... I'm just trying to understand...why would anyone choose a1440p  monitor over a 4k monitor? I mean why bother buying a series x, or even a one x if you're happy playing with low graphics quality? I bought a 4k monitor for the one x, and now use it for the series x and I don't think I could ever go back. What am I missing here?

Offline Scurgo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:04 AM - 11/19/20 »

Offline Scurgo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:07 AM - 11/19/20 »
I wouldn’t recommend this for PS5 though as 1440p is not supported on that platform sadly.

What is your recommendation for PS5? I need a new one. Thank you in advance.

Offline Danielebaggio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:02 AM - 11/19/20 »
I wait till januar for a HDMI2.1 Gaming Monitor...

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:08 AM - 11/19/20 »

What is your recommendation for PS5? I need a new one. Thank you in advance.
I'm also buying a monitor for both PS5 and my PC.  I'm looking for something that is 4k, 120/144 hz, G-sync, HDR 600 at least, and has HDMI 2.1 ports.  Sadly there's nothing in the market like that right now, even the upcoming ASUS PG32UQX will not have HDMI 2.1. 

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #6 on: 04:33 AM - 11/19/20 »
What am I missing here?
120 FPS. It makes a HUGE difference for competitive MP gaming.

4K and 1440p look practically the same on a 27" screen. It's not until you step up to 40" territory that you'll notice much of a difference and that's way too big for the desktop (my screen is 43", 4K @ 120Hz on a desk...it's stupid for shooters).

1440p @ 144Hz is the gold standard for PC gaming with buttery smooth framerates, stellar visuals and crispy input. 1440p is the perfect pixel density for 27", textures eat up less than half of 4K HDD capacity and most console shooters should run at a consistent 120 FPS @ 1440p vs 60 FPS @ 4K.

If you're a casual, go 4K for the marginally prettier pixels and ganked FPS.
If you're serious, go 1440p for higher FPS, lower input lag and little loss of visual fidelity.

Hopefully PS5 gets 1440p support down the track, but support for 1440p on XBSX is a big reason I'm maining it this console gen. I can do 4K @ 120 FPS on my screen, but few console games will be up to it. 1440p @ 120 FPS is much more attainable and I'll be running at that resolution if given the option.
« Last Edit: 07:03 AM - 11/19/20 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline BlessUp

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:56 AM - 11/19/20 »
I bought this TV -  48"  LG CX -  OLED, 4k, 120hz, HDR, FreeSync, VRR, HDMI 2.1,
https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled48cxaub-oled-4k-tv?gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0d97iGtVNf5N-GqS4NtN1BPqaFlfBJCmabh7VfxZHZaRCF8lc_ttR_RoCT1sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And its absolutely amazing first time I have ever gamed on a TV over a monitor.  Its basically a large monitor and I couldnt be happier.  Insanely clean picture with very good performance.  No going back for me. 

Offline RML

• MVP
  • AKA "KO" - PUBG Shield [ON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:12 AM - 11/19/20 »
Not trying to have a go at you man, or troll... I'm just trying to understand...why would anyone choose a1440p  monitor over a 4k monitor? I mean why bother buying a series x, or even a one x if you're happy playing with low graphics quality? I bought a 4k monitor for the one x, and now use it for the series x and I don't think I could ever go back. What am I missing here?

Ha, no worries.. I completely understand where you’re coming from. The bottom line is “PERFORMANCE”. This is a Xim forum, people here are always looking for the competitive edge, I’m no different. I’m going after the BEST experience at 120hz and for Xbox this is it right now. Honestly, I can’t tell a whole lot of difference between 4K and 1440p, I can really feel the difference though between 60 & 120hz though.

Cheers!

... or troll...

:o its RML!

Lol, True!

What am I missing here?

4K and 1440p look practically the same on a 27" screen. It's not until you step up to 40" territory that you'll notice much of a difference and that's way too big for the desktop (my screen is 43", 4K @ 120Hz on a desk...it's stupid for shooters).

1440p @ 144Hz is the gold standard for PC gaming with buttery smooth framerates, stellar visuals and crispy input. 1440p is the perfect pixel density for 27", textures eat up less than half of 4K HDD capacity and most console shooters should run at a consistent 120 FPS @ 1440p vs 60 FPS @ 4K.

If you're serious, go 1440p for higher FPS, lower input lag and little loss of visual fidelity.

Hopefully PS5 gets 1440p support down the track, but support for 1440p on XBSX is a big reason I'm maining it this console gen. I can do 4K @ 120 FPS on my screen, but few console games will be up to it. 1440p @ 120 FPS is much more attainable and I'll be running at that resolution if given the option.

Nailed It!

I bought this TV -  48"  LG CX -  OLED, 4k, 120hz, HDR, FreeSync, VRR, HDMI 2.1,
https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled48cxaub-oled-4k-tv?gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0d97iGtVNf5N-GqS4NtN1BPqaFlfBJCmabh7VfxZHZaRCF8lc_ttR_RoCT1sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And its absolutely amazing first time I have ever gamed on a TV over a monitor.  Its basically a large monitor and I couldnt be happier.  Insanely clean picture with very good performance.  No going back for me. 

Nice, thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers!

Offline Rockyruption

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Rockyruption
« Reply #9 on: 10:28 PM - 11/19/20 »
What am I missing here?

Thanks man. I've never really seen a 1440p monitor in use...I went from a 1080p to a 4k monitor when the one x came out and the difference was totally night and day and the 4k is something to behold in its immersiveness.

The thought of dropping back to what I've always assumed was only slightly better than 1080p, for a few more frames that I didn't think my eye could even pick up, was terrible.

I'd always anticipated to pick up a new 4k 120hz monitor as soon as they are readily available for the series x, but until then,  you've got me thinking that maybe I should grab a 1440p 120hz monitor and try it out in the meantime...as long as it doesn't feel like going back to playing on the xbox one....

Thanks again

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04:07 AM - 11/20/20 »
Why don't LG make a smaller OLED like 32-34"; 48" is way too big to sit on a desk.  As for PS5 on 1440p, I heard that some monitors like the Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ accept 4k signal and then downscale it to 1440p which is a lot better than letting the console do the downscale to 1080p.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04:16 AM - 11/20/20 »
Why don't LG make a smaller OLED like 32-34"; 48" is way too big to sit on a desk.

The reason is that since the launch of the RTX 3000 series and AMD GPUs a few days/weeks ago there havent been any consumer GPUs offering HDMI 2.1, so the manufacturers didnt see any reason or incentive in adding HDMI 2.1 to monitors as their primary target are PCs.
Slightly different story for TVs, which is why a few models with HDMI 2.1 are already out.

Either way last time i checked the first HDMI 2.1 monitors will come out in january i think from Acer or Asus :).
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline HypeR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04:54 AM - 11/20/20 »
Why don't LG make a smaller OLED like 32-34"; 48" is way too big to sit on a desk.

The reason is that since the launch of the RTX 3000 series and AMD GPUs a few days/weeks ago there havent been any consumer GPUs offering HDMI 2.1, so the manufacturers didnt see any reason or incentive in adding HDMI 2.1 to monitors as their primary target are PCs.
Slightly different story for TVs, which is why a few models with HDMI 2.1 are already out.

Either way last time i checked the first HDMI 2.1 monitors will come out in january i think from Acer or Asus :).

This but for 900 Euro. :/

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #13 on: 10:33 PM - 12/07/20 »
Like RML, I'm after 1440p @ 120Hz performance at good bang-for-buck, so I snagged an LG 27GL850 for $600 AUD on eBay for multiplayer gaming.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to get 1440p @ 120Hz  with VRR on the LG, Freesync tops out at 100Hz over HDMI on this screen. Freesync can be disabled for 120Hz, but it's better to have it than suffer screen-tearing and dropped frames.

Dell S2721DGF is confirmed working with 120Hz VRR at 1440p, according to Reddit. I managed to get the LG refunded and bought the Dell instead for $688 AUD. Thanks for the heads-up RML!

« Last Edit: 03:36 PM - 12/08/20 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline biscojoe

• bisco ❤
    • View Profile
    • twitch
  • Gamertag: biscojoe42
« Reply #14 on: 03:00 AM - 12/08/20 »
Great post thanks for the read i was going to get the LG monitor i’ll go Dell instead. i was also going to get a ps5 but now going XSX. i’ve always been a BenQ kinda guy too lol
Xim Apex ✔ Xbox Series X ✔ Dell S2721DGF ✔ Sony Nav ✔ QcK Heavy ✔ G Pro

✌💋

Admin