XIM Community

Monitor suggestions for PS5  (Read 357 times)

Offline Catacomb

• View Profile
Monitor suggestions for PS5
« on: 06:56 AM - 10/18/20 »
Hello guys, would someone have a suggestion for a monitor that would go well with the ps5, I know that the best would probably be to wait for hdmi 2.1 monitors to be released but that seems like it will be around January, the eve spectrum looks promising but with their history I don't really dare to preorder one, the acer and asus will probably cost over 1k which is a little steep for me. I would be looking for a monitor that's not larger then 27 inc, picture quality is not that important to me and it should have low latency. I am greatfull  for all suggestions.

Offline Brutalimp

• View Profile
Re: Monitor suggestions for PS5
« Reply #1 on: 07:01 PM - 10/18/20 »
Dont spend alot and get one without HDMI 2.1. You will regret it.

Asus is releasing some this fall supposedly, but no word on when or how much.

If you cant wait and don't care about picture quality get a dirt-cheap, but fast response time 60hz TN panel like this https://www.amazon.com/Dell-1920x1080-Gaming-Monitor-Model/dp/B07ZHHSB5Y/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=60hz+tn+monitor+gaming&qid=1603069471&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Offline Brooker88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:53 AM - 10/19/20 »
Eve spectrum
| PS4 PRO | Razer Huntsman TE | G502 SE 25k DPI | LG 24GL600F 144hz 1080p | G440 Hard mat | Xim Apex, 500hz |

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 04:21 AM - 10/19/20 »
I would definitely wait. Eve Spectrum is simply the first of many that will release in the coming months.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline MrBrutalFrosty

• MVP
  • Australian Youtuber 1.7k Subs All Things FPS COD
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: MrBrutalFrosty
  • PSN ID: Mr_Brutal_Frosty Youtube: MrBrutalFrosty
« Reply #4 on: 05:12 AM - 10/19/20 »
im playing on a 10 yea rold monitor you cna wait a couple extra months as i am to waiting and will upgrade to a 4K hdmi 2.1 supported monitor

Offline Scrotesmd2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05:55 AM - 10/20/20 »
I recently purchased this ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ1B , I really hope playstation 5 supports Freesync though . Ms have confirmed support for Xbox series x but nothing from Sony.. I'd probably buy series x if it's going to perform better with my new monitor. Need to confirm xim support also so I'm holding off on both consoles until I know more.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #6 on: 11:56 PM - 10/20/20 »
Given both consoles run an AMD architecture, it's almost a given that freesync will work on PS5.

I'm more interested if 1440p @ 120Hz is an option for next-gen consoles.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline MrBrutalFrosty

• MVP
  • Australian Youtuber 1.7k Subs All Things FPS COD
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: MrBrutalFrosty
  • PSN ID: Mr_Brutal_Frosty Youtube: MrBrutalFrosty
« Reply #7 on: 12:37 AM - 10/21/20 »
120hz 1440p seems to be confirmed for xbox but for sony nothings been said and the speculation espeically on reddit is rampant i guess in bit of 2 weeks we will find out

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01:50 AM - 10/21/20 »
I recently purchased this ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ1B , I really hope playstation 5 supports Freesync though . Ms have confirmed support for Xbox series x but nothing from Sony.. I'd probably buy series x if it's going to perform better with my new monitor. Need to confirm xim support also so I'm holding off on both consoles until I know more.
Xbox Series S will be a perfect match for your TUF monitor, series X if you want more power and might change monitor in the future.

Offline Catacomb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04:48 AM - 10/21/20 »
Dont spend alot and get one without HDMI 2.1. You will regret it.

Asus is releasing some this fall supposedly, but no word on when or how much.

If you cant wait and don't care about picture quality get a dirt-cheap, but fast response time 60hz TN panel like this https://www.amazon.com/Dell-1920x1080-Gaming-Monitor-Model/dp/B07ZHHSB5Y/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=60hz+tn+monitor+gaming&qid=1603069471&s=electronics&sr=1-2
I know that that I am going to regret it, if I don't get a hdmi 2.1 monitor. Had my hopes up for the Asus but it looks like both Asus and Acer are going to release their first hdmi 2.1 monitors in January atleast according to the Chinese preorder page for their monitors.

Offline noregretd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07:53 AM - 10/23/20 »
PS 5 and Xbox Series X won't have optical out (S/PDIF). I see a huge issue if you have an older sound system (I have $2000 Bose Lifestyle V20 sound system from 2006  (5.1)  I don't like using headphones for directional audio. I want my 5.1 real dedicated sound system.

My monitor LG 27UK650 does not have optical or HDMI out, only 3.5mm headphone jack. I also have LG CX 55 TV. This means I can send "optical out" from LG CX back to Bose. I tried it with PS4 Pro and it works. It seems to me, it adds a little lag for 5.1 surround (not for PCM). I tested it a little in a local game of Modern Warfare.

I do not see a way for me to use my monitor with the new gaming systems if I also want to use my Bose system. Also, I won't buy any non HDMI 2.1 device to future proof myself, especially when RTX 3000 do not have Display Port 2.0, but have HDMI 2.1. You never know when you might use your new monitor for something more than consoles.

As per actual suggestion, I would just get LG CX in Best Buy and get the burn in warranty to go along with it.

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02:25 PM - 10/23/20 »
The lack of SPDIF is not a huge issue.

That format was meant to connect and preserve audio in digital form, more of 90% in the audio systems in market from soundbars to home theater relies on this interface.

An HDMI Audio Extractor can bring you that digital audio for your sound system.

My monitor LG 27UK650 does not have optical or HDMI out, only 3.5mm headphone jack. I also have LG CX 55 TV. This means I can send "optical out" from LG CX back to Bose

When you are using the 3.5mm out from your monitor that's is not digital signal is analog (clarifying to avoid confusion) and it comes in lower quality and sometimes introduces ground loop issues (buzz sound).

I guess Sony and Microsoft want to save pay Philips royalties on this gen, but HDMI 2.1 audio Extractors or USB DACs with SPDIF out will came next year.

HDMI 2.1 bandwidth meant for a [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] solid can't be achieve even for a powerful RTX3090, current LG's [email protected] shows chromatic aberration issues future firmware upgrades might fix it.

Better HDR performance is the real goodie on that spec, and current monitors in the market aren't quite yet there, specifically those based on nano IPS. TV's are trickier you have to keep an eye on how slow they are or if they offer low display lag on its game mode. OLEDs tends to have a significant and unavoidable display lag due the technology nature, amazing for single player games, not for competitive but who use a TV for it right?

Don't worries your audio system will be OK for the next gen, might need and adapter. Honestly Dolby Atmos is coming pretty amazing for a home sound system studio, might be time to upgrade because this gen will deliver that heavenly sound.

I going to wait for the market to settle, get flooded with HDMI 2.1 Displays offers. I hope VA gets faster because is the one that is delivering HDR1K solid, for almost a quarter $ of a slow OLED display.
« Last Edit: 02:38 PM - 10/23/20 by alanmcgregor »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #12 on: 03:09 PM - 10/23/20 »
Iím using 4K @ 120Hz for PC gaming via DisplayPort. If HDMI 2.0 doesnít support the same setting, Iíll be happy with 1440p @ 120Hz or 4K @ 60Hz for console gaming.

In any case 2021 is the time to buy a new screen, not 2020.