XIM Community

Tutorial: How to setup instant notifications about store updates - Updated  (Read 8018 times)

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
Step 1: Download Mozilla Firefox

Step 2: Download AlertBox

Step 3: Go to http://store.xim3.com in mozilla firefox > Select Out of Stock > Right-click selected text > Go to AlertBox > Click "Add Alert for changes in clicked element"

Step 4: Right click anywhere > Click AlertBox > Click "Open AlertBox Control Panel" > Click "Show my Alerts"

Step 5: Click "Settings"

Step 6: register and enter account info to enable email notifications.

Step 7: Change "Check Every" in AlertBox to something like "1 minute". Don't be greedy

Step 8: Show "My Alerts" > click the alert > Alert Actions = Send Email > Save

Congrats! You've now setup alert box...

Note: Please don't flame for this just trying to help some people out with the store.

Now you'll know when the store opens whenever it opens so go outside...or have some sex...or eat some cake...or make the world a better place.

Example: http://www.savetonysfriends.com/node/12/

edit: spelling corrections
« Last Edit: 08:11 PM - 02/09/11 by abc123 »

Offline oewbatman

• Join my Ignore List!
    • View Profile
    • ^OEW^ PC Gaming Clan
  • Gamertag: H W Batman
Or, go outside AND have some sex?
Asked a guy to stop cussing, was told by another I'm judgmental and condescending - Must be an alternate universe thing

Join us for friendly PC BFBC2/COD-BO/CODWaW gaming - Public TeamSpeak server
^OEW^ Gaming Clan
http://oewteam.com

Offline Mountshy

• The Woodchipper
    • View Profile
But is that conventional?

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile

It's cold, i like my penis to look 3mm not 1..

Offline mlkmnz

• View Profile
Wouldn't doing this just spam the site more and potentially cause it to crap out again?

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
Wouldn't doing this just spam the site more and potentially cause it to crap out again?

Let's call it a test, it sounds better that way.

Honest Answer: Depending on their cache setup re-peat requests don't even hit the server just a request if anything has changed which then hits the closest DNS to the user which then answers or asks the next in line until it hits the actual since...Doing a traceroute would show this but i'm lazy.

Offline Edwood

• MVP
    • View Profile
Thanks, abc123!
XIM4 + Run and Gun = Fun.

Offline Lurkin

• View Profile

the site never crapped out, just the store did, but the store is set up on a new server so it should be fine.  We are just waiting until all the current orders are shipped before it reopens.
lol, i consider the internet like xbox live.  If i'm not saying i had sex with your mom i have to be calling you stupid :)

Offline yanisakk

• View Profile

I usually have sex indoors... However this I will try! 

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
I usually have sex indoors... However this I will try! 

that's the recommendation

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus

Once a minute is fine, it is only checking the element. I haven't tested it but abc123 could verify if it is pulling all the js and images to have to check. If not then that's even better.

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
Once a minute is fine, it is only checking the element. I haven't tested it but abc123 could verify if it is pulling all the js and images to have to check. If not then that's even better.

I like OMGsus he makes me happy.  AlertBox at the very most is pulling down the html, this is all text it doesn't include any images.  And at the very least is pulling down an html element.  The store html page in total without images is 30.0KB, once it is all in it is 8.28KB.

This means let's say 2000 people follow this tutorial:

60000 + 977040 + 22852800 = 23889840 /1024 = 23329.921875MB a day
30.0(2000) + 8.28 (2000)(59) + 8.28 (2000)(60)(23)

It's either that or the F5 (Mozilla Auto-Refresh) method:

341(2000)(60)(24) / 1024 = 959062.5MB a day

This is completely ignoring caching, I am sure people will argue that people aren't all going to refresh every minute by hand and I agree, but let's also say this provides piece of mind, meaning it will hopefully calm some of the people who are ready to stab someone.

If you count caching and assume AlertBox only download the 15Bytes required for it to perform the real action necessary then it drops down to almost unnoticeable.

This also gives the advantage of email notification over no notification at all.
« Last Edit: 08:40 PM - 02/09/11 by abc123 »

Offline Lord Tsarkon

• View Profile
Is there an equivelant for Chrome?

Also.. is there anyway to make Chrome (or Firefox) call or text a cellphone when the notification goes out?

For example.. you download the extension...which > gets an E-mail and so Gmail can automatically call your cellphone incase you are not home?

I do not have a smart phone or handheld web device... so I only get E-mail at home...

Chaotic evil means never having to say your sorry..

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
Is there an equivelant for Chrome?

No

Also.. is there anyway to make Chrome (or Firefox) call or text a cellphone when the notification goes out?

For example.. you download the extension...which > gets an E-mail and so Gmail can automatically call your cellphone incase you are not home?

I do not have a smart phone or handheld web device... so I only get E-mail at home...

Read this: http://sms411.net/how-to-send-email-to-a-phone/ it explains email texting...

Offline Metal

• As in steel.
    • View Profile
Hey abc thanks a heap for this.
I've set mine to 1/2 an hour.

Question: Does my browser need to be open the whole time?
It will send me an email when it changes yes?