XIM Community

Tutorial: How to setup instant notifications about store updates - Updated  (Read 8036 times)

Offline Mpowered

• View Profile
I wonder if there is a way to set up one box to pull the site every minute, then send emails to everyone if there is a change, thereby taking some of the load off the server. I guess if they have a server designed for NYTs, we should be okay.
Xim3 with Logitech G15 and G500

Offline Metal

• As in steel.
    • View Profile
I wonder if there is a way to set up one box to pull the site every minute, then send emails to everyone if there is a change, thereby taking some of the load off the server. I guess if they have a server designed for NYTs, we should be okay.
Dude, stop thinking smart thoughts you're gonna start a revolution.

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong

the primary issue with that is unless you have a corporate domain you'll get spam blocked for sending 100s of emails out at once.

I own 5 domain names and I can't get away with it.

Offline RnDMonkey

• Testing your patience
    • View Profile
I set it up last night and used the main XIM discussion page as a test (just look at the most recent post time, there is a new post at least every minute :) ) and I do indeed have it working and sending an SMS message to my phone. It includes a bit of extra headers but that's ok because it works!

I am willing to add people to a distribution list, but I'm leaving for work in 30 minutes so speak up now. PM me your cell phone # AND your carrier, per the page abc123 linked: http://sms411.net/how-to-send-email-to-a-phone/. Don't forget, if you don't have an unlimited texting plan, there will be a charge by your carrier. Also, if the availability says something something other than "In Stock" that updates frequently (not likely, I think) then you could get quite a few SMS messages lol.

Edit: Ok heading out now. If the store doesn't open today I will extend my offer to, say, 24 people tonight.
« Last Edit: 07:47 AM - 02/10/11 by RnDMonkey »
Homonyms kick @#$% and chew bubble gum. For egg sample, hear is not the same as here. Remember to use to and not too, too.

Offline rtmoose

• MVP
  • yea... its how those frenchies used to say my name
    • View Profile
I don't know if you guys are testing the email notification feature, but it's not working at all for me.

I've been testing it on my latest posts page, and it will notify me of changes on my desktop, but it will not send me an email. And yes, I have registered and authenticated my email address/account.

In your alerts tab for alert box click options for the alert and make sure "send email" is clicked
Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to write this, my husband Technogiant as gone out of the room, can you send him this xbox thing quickly he's driving me up the wall. thanks

i5-2500k - p8p67 rev3 - radeon HD6850 - 8GB corsair ram @ 1600mhz - WD caviar Black SATA III

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
In your alerts tab for alert box click options for the alert and make sure "send email" is clicked

LOL, he got it working already, this made me smile.

Offline joe_bacher

• View Profile
How would one set it up to send texts?

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile

Offline RnDMonkey

• Testing your patience
    • View Profile
I set it up last night and used the main XIM discussion page as a test (just look at the most recent post time, there is a new post at least every minute :) ) and I do indeed have it working and sending an SMS message to my phone. It includes a bit of extra headers but that's ok because it works!

I am willing to add people to a distribution list, but I'm leaving for work in 30 minutes so speak up now. PM me your cell phone # AND your carrier, per the page abc123 linked: http://sms411.net/how-to-send-email-to-a-phone/. Don't forget, if you don't have an unlimited texting plan, there will be a charge by your carrier. Also, if the availability says something something other than "In Stock" that updates frequently (not likely, I think) then you could get quite a few SMS messages lol.

Edit: Ok heading out now. If the store doesn't open today I will extend my offer to, say, 24 people tonight.

Ok I'm home now, so send me a private message if you want to get in on my SMS (text message) auto-notification.
Homonyms kick @#$% and chew bubble gum. For egg sample, hear is not the same as here. Remember to use to and not too, too.

Offline novakane

• View Profile
I can't see where to enter an email address for it to send it to... Using firefox on a mac

Offline novakane

• View Profile
Nm, gotta register, duh for not reading

I got excited, jeez

Offline ihatecontrollers

• <3
    • View Profile
i tested mine again and it gave me a txt msg WEEE @[email protected] .. just gota leave pc on 24 hrs a day now not to mention my phone soo i can get txt msgs in the middle of the night lol

Offline RnDMonkey

• Testing your patience
    • View Profile
Can you have it sent to something other than the e-mail you registered under, or do I need to create a different account with my cell's text number as the account e-mail?

I set up email forwarding to automatically handle this.

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
I'm so happy...

Offline RnDMonkey

• Testing your patience
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info, abc123, it was very useful! :)

Admin