XIM Community

Tutorial: How to setup instant notifications about store updates - Updated  (Read 8035 times)

Offline ihatecontrollers

• <3
    • View Profile
cool thx i just set it up i also set up the phone txt thingy i hope i did it right lol
« Last Edit: 11:04 PM - 02/09/11 by ihatecontrollers »

Offline legendboy

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: LOVE 1S A F1ST

It's cold, i like my penis to look 3mm not 1..

i had a vasectomy 2 weeks ago, never had to ice my balls before.

i gotta say i looked like i was about 12 again after 2 days with an ice back down there LOL

Offline Lord Tsarkon

• View Profile
Thanks again abc for the help!  I already have another Forum member that is checking every 10 minutes and E-mailing if anything changes and also store updates from OBsIV...

I have vacation this week but like everyone else here... we all have lives away from PCs(well some of us atleast)... now I can get a Text message whenever the Store is ready... simply awesome... (hopefully I'll be at home when it is)

This community rocks (despite some threads last dew days I've seen) and I hope to add some feedback(constructive) whenever I recieve my Xim3... since we are going to be like beta testers in a sense

Thanks again 8)

Chaotic evil means never having to say your sorry..

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
Question: Does my browser need to be open the whole time?
Yes

It will send me an email when it changes yes?

If you set it up right yes.

Offline Metal

• As in steel.
    • View Profile
Cool beans. Thanks.

Offline Dice

• MVP
  • Another Australian
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DRYIYC
  • PSN ID: DRYIYC
Question: Does my browser need to be open the whole time?
Yes

It will send me an email when it changes yes?

If you set it up right yes.
Useful. I will not be using it but still that does not make it any less useful.
A controller is a handicap.
Can I be honest here -- you guys are starting to drive me a little nuts. Can I please just add the features we talked about and then you all *try* them and decide if you really need all this new stuff you are asking for now?

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
If you don't know if you set it up right, have alertBox monitor a website that changes a lot, like gizmodo...then see if you receive an email...enjoy.

Offline Ixt

• View Profile
And at the very least is pulling down an html element.

That's actually not how web requests work.  It would have to pull down at least all of the markup in order to parse out that element - you can't request a particular element without getting the rest.

Depending on what the extension is actually tracking, it would have to pull down the css and the JavaScript and execute them, because both can affect any element on the page.  Then it would have to compare the rendered markup to the existing stored markup, and compare the properties of that particular element in both sets.  It *might* not go this far, but it would at least have to pull down all the markup.

Good idea for people to use this extension though, as long as the admins don't mind it.

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
And at the very least is pulling down an html element.

That's actually not how web requests work.  It would have to pull down at least all of the markup in order to parse out that element - you can't request a particular element without getting the rest.

Depending on what it is actually tracking, it would have to pull down the css and the JavaScript and execute them, because both can affect any element on the page.  Then it would have to compare the rendered markup to the existing stored markup, and compare the properties of that particular element in both sets.  It *might* not go this far, but it would at least have to pull down all the markup.

Good idea for people to use this extension though, as long as the admins don't mind it.

Perhaps my wording was wrong...In the page i say 8.XXKB this is the amount it is pulling down for me...I was stating it is unfortunate that it isn't pulling down 15Bytes which is the element it needs.  I am aware of the way websites work but thanks for clearing this confusion up.

Offline Mpowered

• View Profile
I don't know if you guys are testing the email notification feature, but it's not working at all for me.

I've been testing it on my latest posts page, and it will notify me of changes on my desktop, but it will not send me an email. And yes, I have registered and authenticated my email address/account.
Xim3 with Logitech G15 and G500

Offline kurze

• View Profile
Wow thank you so much! Geez I'm tired of looking for new info. Also how did you setup txt alerts? I changed it to something higher than 1min. I dont check email every 1min.

And, I agree some people in the forums do need to get laid.

Offline Metal

• As in steel.
    • View Profile
I don't know if you guys are testing the email notification feature, but it's not working at all for me.

I've been testing it on my latest posts page, and it will notify me of changes on my desktop, but it will not send me an email. And yes, I have registered and authenticated my email address/account.

:/

Offline Mpowered

• View Profile
Figured it out. Was being dumb and now it is working.
Xim3 with Logitech G15 and G500

Offline Metal

• As in steel.
    • View Profile

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
Figured it out. Was being dumb and now it is working.
hip hip hooray