XIM Community

Star Wars Squadrons ST?  (Read 987 times)

Offline Beaker1991

• View Profile
Star Wars Squadrons ST?
« on: 10:51 PM - 10/02/20 »
Any support for Star Wars Squadrons planned?

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Squadrons ST?
« Reply #1 on: 01:17 PM - 10/03/20 »
Haven't tried the game. However, I played others EA Star Wars Battlefront games (2000+ hours), I'm pretty darn good pilot even though flying mechanics are not supported by XIM, however ST works decent for aiming whatever is on your field of view... BUT.

The issue is: turning, if the game uses the right stick (our mouse) to turn is a big issue for XIM because you will need an analog input to turn, meaning move the stick to the right and keep it pegged to the right, you will keep turning to the right; if you don't push it all the way it will slow down the turn speed and keep turning.

On XIM the right stick is our mouse, this means that in order to keep turning to a direction you need to swipe to that direction until the mouse pad runs out, pick it up, put it down and keep swiping, over and over, combing your mouse pad and in-game you don't have a smooth turn, many hiccups.

XIM give us a work around called Turn Assist, when you press or hold that button, you will keep turning to the direction towards the direction the mouse is leading, you can use the mouse to aim again once the Turn Assist button is disengaged.

Caveats: no way to control/regulate you turn speed precisely, dog fighting is way harder than using an analog stick.

As I said it before, is not unplayable and I'm not bragging I'm pretty darn good pilot but it took me hours to figured and master the controllers, using turn assist. I'm so used to it, when I play on PC I use the XIM to flying because the in-game mouse mechanics for flying are dreadful.

In short, not sure if XIM team consider to work in a ST for a game that can be like a driving game.

Flying games/simulator are meant for analog sticks the same way steering wheels are meant for driving games and FPS are meant for mouse and keyboard. Mainly I don't know if they are capable of training a ST for it, so I going to keep my expectations low.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 04:05 PM - 10/03/20 »
I've been playing it (and really enjoying it), but, I'm not sure how well a mouse would work. The main issue would be the high level of temporal acceleration when you turn. It's very heavy in it's movement (like a vehicle). Of course, it's intentional for balance. I would take the advice of alanmcgregor and see if you can make it playable at all and let us know how good it actually is.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:03 PM - 10/04/20 »
On Battlefront II 2017
I tried was using the Nav for a flying config, where:
Analog stick = right stick,
Mouse top side button = Left stick up
Mouse bottom side button = Left stick down
Mouse wheel up = Left stick - left
Mouse wheel down = Left stick - right
Ship weapons on Nav buttons X and O

When flying I have to train myself to follow the targets where those are in my FoV by using the mouse movement, for turning I stop moving the mouse and use the analog stick, once target is on my FoV leave the stick and use the mouse. In theory sounds pretty good, but woah is hard for your brain, specially if you are used to using Nav Stick for Left stick.

Finally what end up working for me, is:
No nav required, just my WASD keyboard, I use the button do you use for Sprinting, and make that your Turn Assist Button -On Hold. For me is the mouse top side button. When I have targets on FoV I use the mouse, once I need to turn, I move the mouse to the direction and hold the Turn Assist Button (my brain associate this to "go faster"), quick tapping the Turn Assist Button, helps to control how hard you are turning, is not ideal but playable. Dogfighting is pretty hard but can be done.

Got the Star Wars Squadrons last night, playing the campaign using the latter scheme and yeah is completely workable. I will try generic ST to see what can give me a better aim.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05:05 PM - 10/04/20 »
All right guys, after tweaking and testing I suggest the next:

XIM Apex Config ST
XIM Temporal ST: Grand Theft Auto V - First Person
Sync - Default
Mouse - any DPI and Polling Rate
Buttons - Suggest to delete all first, then make your own scheme.

IMPORTANT
Enable Turn Assist on the button of your preference, see it as a pedal to turning.

Add one of the next Ballistic Curves:

XIM Apex - Vehicle Ballistic Curve I: 
Code: [Select]
>>> XIM APEX [Translate Ballistics] START COPY >>>
X5BC:AAAAyAGQAlgDIAPoBLAFdwZABwgH0AiYCWAKKArwC7gMgA1IDhAO2A+gEGgRMBH3EsATiBTIFggXeRkeGsIc8R8iIZckVCcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQ:X5BC
<<< XIM APEX END COPY <<<

Or

XIM Apex - Vehicle Ballistic Curve Linear: 
Code: [Select]
>>> XIM APEX [Translate Ballistics] START COPY >>>
X5BC:AAAAyAGQAlgDIAPoBLAFeAZABwgH0AiYCWAKKArwC7gMgA1IDhAO2A+gEGgRMBH4EsCTiBV8F3AZZBtYHUwfQCE0IyglHKcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQ:X5BC
<<< XIM APEX END COPY <<<

In-game Settings

Enjoy!  ;)

Offline AP3X-LegioN

• ALL AIM, NO BRAIN!
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: AP3X-LegioN__
« Reply #5 on: 04:09 PM - 10/05/20 »
you have to be mad... why in the world would you want mouse on game like this?
PS4 PRO 2TB SSHD | XIM APEX | G502 SE White | RedThunder K50 Keypad | Turtle Beach Elite Tac Pro | Corsair HS35 | Samsung S27E330H 27"

16000DP Sync Off for Life!!!

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:04 PM - 10/05/20 »
 ::) Input options.

I used to use the controller for this. Months ago, I got my left hand injured while I was fixing my side mirror a bike caught it. After surgery and physio, I got my hand functionality back, but the thumb lost all its strength, using a stick is painful.

Bigger picture dude.

Offline xbond

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xbondlefou
« Reply #7 on: 10:00 PM - 10/05/20 »
I tryed xim apex on Star Wars Squadrons, I just took a random game (The division 2) started Star Wars Squadrons, max in game sensitivity, then set all my keys in xim apex manager, and it work great cept one thing, when i try to turn my ship around to try to follow my target,its super slow like i have to spin my mouse on my pad alot to turn around so its just ruined my excitement lol, i know that game is not supported yet hopefully it will be, anyway to fix that issue so its playable? im not very familiar with xim setting,i used to just set my key's adjust sensitivity and i go with that, always better then a controller, for me that is. Thx for any tips/advice/guide that could help make Squadron playable with my Xim on my Ps4