XIM Community

Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X  (Read 1010 times)

Offline JoTi

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Jo_Vogel_Snipez
Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X
« on: 10:58 AM - 09/23/20 »
Hi at all!

I have no 4k Monitor. Only 144hz Gaming Monitor.

So the Xbox Series S should be the better option , right?

Xbox Series X only good for 4k gaming or i missing something?

Offline Cizque

• View Profile
Re: Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X
« Reply #1 on: 11:15 AM - 09/23/20 »
The series X also has better hardware and larger storage

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 11:51 AM - 09/23/20 »
What I've read is that the Series S will be able to achieve the same visuals as the Series X and play the same games, but, output fewer pixels. To me it's a great value proposition. The only concern I would have is the smaller SSD.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline ragenrok

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: D Warrior
« Reply #3 on: 04:31 PM - 09/23/20 »
only thing to keep in mind is that while the series S ssd is smaller, they have also said that games will be up to 30% smaller on the S versus the X thanks to smart delivery knowing that it doesn't need to download the 4k texture maps. It basically treats the X to an extra ultra HD texture pack that it downloads which the S doesn't need to worry about.

Thanks to this the S storage is really only like 20% smaller than the X not 50%

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 04:51 PM - 09/23/20 »
Excellent point.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:49 AM - 09/24/20 »
Hi at all!

I have no 4k Monitor. Only 144hz Gaming Monitor.

So the Xbox Series S should be the better option , right?

Xbox Series X only good for 4k gaming or i missing something?

It's not just resolution, you're guaranteed lower graphics settings and performance with weaker hardware. The Series S target demographic is mom who's kid asked for a Playstation on Christmas so she buys the Series S because "it's a station you play on and it's $100 cheaper, what's the difference?"

If you really don't want to spend the $200 go ahead and buy it but you are getting a compromised experience, no question about it.
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline JoTi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:56 AM - 09/24/20 »
I found this on forbes:

The Xbox Series S will output at 1440p rather than 4K, but it will still upscale on 4K television sets. The framerate will be the same on both machines and while the Series X might look a little bit better, the Series S will still have great-looking games and a fraction of the cost.

You’d think less RAM and a smaller SSD would hit the Xbox Series S’s performance, but it really shouldn’t in practical terms. Games will require less memory and storage space since they’ll be playing at 1440p and using smaller assets. This allows developers to decrease file size for Xbox Series S games, taking up less space on your SSD.

So long as you’re fine with 1440p, the actual difference here should be fairly negligible. It’s possible that having less RAM will impact performance, but the hit won’t be too big, and if you don’t have a 4k TV it shouldn’t matter at all. Meanwhile, the Xbox Series S will upscale to 4k.

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:29 PM - 09/24/20 »
There's wishful thinking and there's reality. The reality is it can target the same framerate but it doesn't mean it will maintain the same frame rate. Unless they tone the graphics down enough that it does. And sometimes an inconsistent framerate that targets a higher refresh rate is worse than a consistent lower target. But the gap in tech between S and X is too big that all you're losing is a little output resolution. I mean, they already admitted that texture quality will be lower as well. So you'll either lose performance or a lot of visual quality. But most likely you'll lose both.

You don't even have to look far for examples of this. Look at the Xbox One S and Xbox One X. Games on S look and run terrible, it's not just an output resolution difference.

Another thing you have to consider is that you actually do still get the benefit of a 4k output image on a lower res monitor. If an image is downsampled to a lower res monitor from a higher res output (Which applies to all higher res games on Xbox) you still get a much crisper image that not only looks better but gives you a competitive edge because it helps you spot enemies in the distance or visually noisy areas. 

If saving $200 is that important to you go ahead and get the Series S but understand that it is a case of you get what you pay for and don't let BS marketing speak convince you of what you want to hear. 

If you're having doubts, though, just wait for the Digital Foundry comparisons.
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08:59 PM - 10/27/20 »
If you needed any more convincing that Series S isn't worth the money here are some examples of what you can expect. Yakuza like a Dragon runs at 900p on Series S, DMC 5 has no ray tracin on Series S, and PubG is 30fps on S compared to 60 fps on X.   

Offline JoTi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01:15 AM - 10/28/20 »
Hi thx for the tipps.

I switchted complitly an orderd a PS5.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • AKA "KO" - PUBG Shield [ON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:15 AM - 10/28/20 »
Hi thx for the tipps.

I switchted complitly an orderd a PS5.

LMAO

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12:00 PM - 10/28/20 »
It's a lesser pile of dog doo than XSS even if it still is dog doo.