XIM Community

Nintendo Switch + Sys-Con + Xim Apex  (Read 278 times)

Offline IBNobody

• View Profile
Nintendo Switch + Sys-Con + Xim Apex
« on: 10:47 PM - 09/13/20 »
I just recently bought a Xim Apex and Brook Super Converter for the use on my Nintendo Switch. As reported in the Splatoon thread (https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=58864.0), this works and is what I will be using for some vanilla Switch games (Warframe).

I also have a modded Switch, and I can confirm that Xim Apex works with sys-con right out of the box. Sys-con (https://github.com/cathery/sys-con) is a CFW add-on for the Switch that enables the use of standard PS3/4 and XBOX controllers. I'm not sure how this compares to the Brook, but it is an option.

Offline year0

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch + Sys-Con + Xim Apex
« Reply #1 on: 05:15 AM - 09/14/20 »
Doesn't switch have motion/gyro controls? Does that work ?
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #2 on: 06:37 AM - 09/14/20 »
I believe gyro controls are optional in Switch games and can be disabled in settings. I could be wrong, but I vaguely recall that being the case for Zelda.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline IBNobody

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:32 AM - 09/14/20 »
I believe gyro controls are optional in Switch games and can be disabled in settings. I could be wrong, but I vaguely recall that being the case for Zelda.

This is correct. Many games, especially FPS games support gyro aiming, but gyro aiming is still not as good as M+K. Gyro aiming fine in games like Zelda, which gives you the ability to slow down time and aim your shots.

Regarding the Xim Apex and the Switch, the only thing I've had trouble with is not getting a 1:1 mouse movement ratio. It feels like mouse acceleration is turned on (even though my ballistic curve is linear). I wonder if that is fixable by the polling rate?

Offline IBNobody

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:49 PM - 09/14/20 »
Found two issues that affected aim.

(For the record, I am using a Xim Apex, a Brook PS3/PS4 to Switch Super Converter, a PS3 Dualshock or a PS3 Nav controller, a switch in docked mode connected to an IPS monitor. I have two switches.)

1. Sys-Con has configurable dead-zones which were preset to 10%. This was easily changed via an INI to 0%, and this restored fine mouse movements.

2. The Brook PS3/PS4 to Switch Super Converter seems to be causing issues.

If I use the edge of my desk to restrict mouse Y movement and just move my mouse along the X axis, the reticule on screen drifts upwards.

I thought this might have been caused by drift of my PS3 dualshock controller, so I tried using my nav controller as the basis for Xim. No luck.

I also tried binding the face buttons of my dualshock to buttons (via the movement adjust), and this does not cause the drift.

I tried running the Xim at 125Hz and at 1000Hz without any luck.

It seems that the Brook PS3/PS4 to Switch Super Converter is amplifying any positive Y motion moreso than downward Y motion.

The problem disappears completely when the Brook is removed, but this only can work on the modded Switch.

The good news is that the Xim Apex on the modded Switch running sys-con is flawless. The bad news is that the vanilla Switch with the Brook + Apex has issues.

Just to be clear, are there any settings related to mouse aim that are hidden, even from XIM Expert mode?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: 04:52 PM - 09/14/20 »
There are no additional settings that are hidden in Expert mode on XIM APEX.

You can try to adjust the deadzone using a Ballistics Curve to prevent the drift from the Brook adapter, but that is upstream from XIM APEX and probably can't be changed.

Alternately, Mayflash Magic-NS, Titan One or Titan Two all work as XIM adapters for Switch. Titan One and Two support scripting that would potentially fix any drift or deadzone issues.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline IBNobody

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09:06 PM - 09/14/20 »
There are no additional settings that are hidden in Expert mode on XIM APEX.

After digging, that's not true. I should be able to recreate a given game's profile by selecting the generic profile that has a matching deadzone and applying all of the same visible settings. I cannot do this. The app hides game-specific settings.

You can try to adjust the deadzone using a Ballistics Curve to prevent the drift from the Brook adapter, but that is upstream from XIM APEX and probably can't be changed.

Alternately, Mayflash Magic-NS, Titan One or Titan Two all work as XIM adapters for Switch. Titan One and Two support scripting that would potentially fix any drift or deadzone issues.

I might switch to a Titan Two because I've seen reports that the Magic-NS has digitization issues. Now, at least, I know what to look for.
« Last Edit: 07:53 AM - 09/15/20 by IBNobody »

Offline IBNobody

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:41 PM - 09/15/20 »
Something else positive about this whole setup:

I just bought a Genki covert dock (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BRHGFCK). While this is intended to be a TV dock, it will function as a Switch charger (at 15V, even) when an HDMI cable is not plugged in. It also provides a USB 3.1 port.

Using the Genki dock, I can use the Xim Apex on the go AND charge my switch. I just need a wall outlet and a tabletop.

Offline IBNobody

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07:44 PM - 09/17/20 »

I took your advice and took the plunge on the Titan Two. It... was exactly what I needed to help troubleshoot the issues I was seeing because the T2 let me monitor the X/Y values. The Brook Superconverter was indeed scaling the Y axis to +/- 30 on miniscule movements of the mouse. It is going to be returned.

This lead to another discovery. I noticed when using the T2, XY values of 20 (what seems like the smallest mouse movement I can get with the Xim) did not register movement in-game. I had to turn up the boost value to increase the smallest XY values to be enough to register in-game. (That's the correct setting to tweak, right?) However, when I used the T2+Xim or just the Xim in PS3 mode with sys-con, an XY value of 20 was enough to register movements in-game.

So... Either the Switch is scaling the XY movements down, or sys-con is scaling XY movements up.
« Last Edit: 09:08 PM - 09/17/20 by IBNobody »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #9 on: 11:52 PM - 09/18/20 »
Glad to hear Titan Two did what you needed. Boost or increasing the first point on a Ballistics Curve will change the DZ size.

Admin