XIM Community

DualShock & gyro  (Read 157 times)

Offline year0

• Still, if YOU believe it helps YOU play better, tf
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: year0
DualShock & gyro
« on: 01:02 PM - 07/03/20 »
It wouldn’t be possible to utilise the ds4’s gyro ability as a way to control the crosshairs etc rather than a mouse would it?
 Just saw a few videos about how great it controls when using a ds4 on PC, it’s aparently awesome
PS4, Navi, G502 hero

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: DualShock & gyro
« Reply #1 on: 01:59 PM - 07/03/20 »
I was surprised to see that video too. That would be really cool, wouldn't it? Especially since XIM already has all the precision aiming tech for consoles. Although, not everyone is a fan of DS4's stick layout and it turns out that the IMU (gyro) they use isn't really that great (not to mention their button layout for this sort of application). It does seem that XIM would be in the unique position to solve this well.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:53 PM - 07/03/20 »
I think the idea is spectacular, console controllers havent seen any accuracy improvements since the industry transitioned to two analog sticks per controller (which was what, like 20 years ago)? Any controller update since then was mainly about ergonomics (which of course is important), but not about improving the overal accuracy.
If done right this has the potential to become the next big step to noticeably increase the accuracy of the average user.
Sadly neither the new Sony nor Microsoft controller seem to have that.

Looking forward to the progress these developers do with the dualshock on PC.
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline year0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:59 PM - 07/03/20 »
There's a guy who's pretty funny and also knowledgeable about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dsL1wgu2e8&t=3s and he said the combination of a stick & gyro was the best he's tried in a decade, and also something I've heard before playing FPS on the nintendo wii being really great..

Obviously getting ahead of myself here, but I remember the stats of the PS Move with the camera & navi & the precision it is capable of being really high, although using a camera = motion controls, which suck cos of all the movement required..

On the reddit dedicated to the discontinued steam gyro controllers, they're 3D printing them & building/ordering them from china etc.. lots of part numbers etc, and comments about how it's not difficult..  maybe it'll be as easy to upgrade the quality of it and we'll be winners..

I've use Autodesks software as an electrical draftsman, and got to play with their 'kind of gyro' (and insanely expensive) hardware, and gyro really IS incredible. Acceleration and stuff like that wouldn't be a problem cos you've removed one entire layer of control between you and the game, the mechanics of the stick or resistance of the mouse/pad..

This must be possible! I've already imagined it in my head! :)
PS4, Navi, G502 hero

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 04:54 PM - 07/03/20 »
I do think it's possible. I just don't think the DS4, Switch Pro, or the Steam controller are the right thing to make this form of aim great.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:27 PM - 07/03/20 »
Linus Tech Tips, one of the biggest tech youtubers also made a video about gyro aiming a few days ago. Pretty interesting as he doesnt feel comfortable with sticks but instantly loves the gyro aiming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qlZmXnE1mw
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline year0

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12:20 AM - 07/04/20 »
Linus Tech Tips, one of the biggest tech youtubers also made a video about gyro aiming a few days ago. Pretty interesting as he doesnt feel comfortable with sticks but instantly loves the gyro aiming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qlZmXnE1mw

That was the first one I saw too! I like his vids because he doesn’t pull punches with his opinions
PS4, Navi, G502 hero

Admin