XIM Community

Philips SHP9500 + Soundblasterx G1/ Play 3/ G3 Sound issue  (Read 317 times)

Offline unknownuser

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Simply
  • PSN ID: Simply
Hello,

I know this is a xim forum but I think perhap xim is the reason for the sound volume. Let me rewind.

So, for years I've been using this usb audio adapter that came with my PS4 headset (one of the cheapest ones) to connect my studio headsets to my PS4 + Separate mic. My sound quality and volume has never been a problem. Recently, I tried upgrading and getting better stereo sound quality for my Philips SHP9500. I purchased 3 versions of Soundblaster DACs. (G3, G1, Play 3). All of them had this common issue, the volume at maximum was SO LOW compared to using my cheap usb audio adapter that came with the PS4 headset.

Anyone have any idea what the reason might be? Also, I used the Soundblaster Play 3! before with the same headset and I remember the sound being VERY LOUD. Could me using the headset with the other adapter change same internal PS4 settings? Any ideas that would help me figure this out would be great. Otherwise I have no choice but to keep using the same old audio adapter.

Thanks

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
That's a great choice of headphones, congrats.  :)

When you connect a new audio adapter your PS4 resets your audio output settings and mic volume, check that out.

Next, make sure at Devices/Audio Devices you have Volume Control (Headphones) all the way up and Output to Headphones set to All Audio.

If the lack of volume persist, then is due the USB adapter is lacking of power output.

Two of those adapters are sound cards barely better than the audio input that comes out from your controller. Maybe the older adapter delivers more Ohms to your headset. It happens with older adapters due they used to work on older headphones those needed more Ohms, now everything changes with the popularity of earpods which doesn't need much power.

Still kind of strange SB G3 should work, only the Hyper X Amp has more output power and better DAC. Did you check the volume control is working OK?, is a well know issue some G3 has a faulty Game/Audio volume controller.

Offline unknownuser

• View Profile
I'll check that out and get back to you. Thank you.
and yes these headphones are amazing, I used to use superlux hd668b before this one then found this little gem :D

Offline Pickle Jar Hero

• View Profile
Alan quick question regarding the SHP9500 (sorry don't mean to hijack the post)....

Great open back headset, thank you for the suggestion!  They work perfectly connecting right into my xbox controller and much better then my old Logitech ones.  Another reason I got the SHP9500 is to hook them up to my TV for movies - I play games on a monitor in a different room.

I used a 3.5 headset splitter to hook them up to the TV, and it works, but I cannot control the sound and it is wicked loud.  I have tried the tv settings and nothing seems to work. If I bought an amp would this fix the problem...and could I use it on both my xbox and tv?

Not trying to break the bank, so if this would be a fix can you suggest a more budget conscious amp that would work?

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
If OP doesn't mind.

Yeah seems your TV has pre-out headphone output, this means has no volume control on it.

You need a Headphone Dac/Amp, without breaking the bank you can get this one from amazon:
FX Audio for $65usd

it has Optical IN and use a $16usd
SPDIF Switcher to select the source

Offline unknownuser

• View Profile
No problem at all guys. useful info.