XIM Community

Eve Spectrum 4K “144hz” 1440p 1ms Gaming Monitor  (Read 329 times)

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
Ok so I’ve been looking through some gaming monitors for PlayStation 5, I’ve never played on a gaming monitor, just 24-27” TVs that say they’re 1080p 60fps so I thought it would be good to look into one.

I saw the Eve Spectrum monitors pop up on in the xim community threads a few months ago and it seemed cool but at the time I just couldn’t see myself paying so much for a gaming monitor.

I’m back looking again and have decided I probably would spend the money as I’ve heard the PS5 will run at 120hz 1440pż

I don’t know if these specs are 100% true, I couldn’t see why not, I’m not big on specs and things hence why I’ve never used a gaming monitor but that’s not the point of this post.

I’ve done a little research into the monitor and I’ve seen up and down reviews. Eve seem to have a bad reputation when it comes to startups like this and had issue with I think a laptop last year or the year before. Customers weren’t receiving their orders and they filled for bankruptcy.

Now, Eve have claimed their 4K 144hz monitor will be 144hz but I’ve found this video pretty much exposing their claims. The true specs which they do not show on the website is that the true refresh rate for the 4K monitor will be 120hz native and 144hz overclocked...

This does seem like a big thing as they’re advertising 144hz, 4K on their website as what would seem to be native but would this actually be a letdown for PS5 players as we would only need the 120hz refresh rate?

This will pretty much make it the Eve Spectrum 4K 120hz 1440p Gaming monitor to make things simple. On sheet, this does seem perfect for PlayStation 5, what do you guys think?

Link to video down below...

https://youtu.be/qIKy7tQJ__E

Link to Eve Spectrum Monitors sown bellow...

https://evedevices.com/pages/full-specs
« Last Edit: 02:37 PM - 06/17/20 by JDM »
| Apex ~ Zowie FK2 ~ Azeron Compact ~ G440 ~ Astro A40 TR ~ PS4 |

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Eve Spectrum 4K “144hz” 1440p 1ms Gaming Monitor
« Reply #1 on: 03:01 PM - 06/17/20 »
At best, PS5 and XBSX will run 4K at 120Hz. At worst, 1080p at 120Hz. Hopefully, 1440p at 120Hz.

In short, 120Hz should be the target. 144Hz will be handy for Windows gaming, but most PCs still aren't capable of that framerate at 1440p or above.

Long story short - to cover all bases for next-gen console gaming, we want 4K, 120Hz and HDMI 2.1. That last one isn't available yet and hasn't been announced by most monitor manufacturers. Eve however appears to be 2.1 ready.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04:09 PM - 06/17/20 »
This looks like the first hdmi 2.1 monitor but the specs don't make me hyped. $650-$750 (with stand) wouldn't be too bad but it's not full HDR or true 10-bit color. No mention of VRR or chroma sampling 4:4:4 either which are supposed to be the big features of hdmi 2.1. Also, at 4k I'd like to go for a monitor that's a bit bigger than 27".
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:15 PM - 06/17/20 »
I’m thinking for someone who only plays FPS games such as call of duty, battlefield etc. The cheapest version is the smartest way to go.

I don’t really care about 4K, I only really use my PS4 to play Warzone.

The 4K version (if it does actually happen) will probably come in handy if I want to watch films but on a 27inch 27” tv.... good for a bedroom setup so why not I guess.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #4 on: 05:03 PM - 06/17/20 »
27" 1440p @ 144Hz is the current sweet spot for PC gaming. Hopefully we'll get the option of 1440p for next-gen consoles.

Something like an mClassic might be used for downscaling 4K to 1440p, or upscaling 1080p to 1440p. I know mClassic can upscale, but I'm not sure about downscaling. It's also not HDMI 2.1, so I'd wait for the console resolution specs to be announced, and maybe an mClassic revision before going down this path. I believe Phil has an mClassic and may be able to provide more info.
« Last Edit: 03:54 AM - 06/18/20 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05:23 PM - 06/17/20 »
Ahh yeah I forgot the regular version isn’t HDMI 2.1.

Honestly I don’t understand what all these things mean or do but I’m aware of what’s going to be (said to be) required so I guess the 4K one if it actually releases without issues will be the go to for now.

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:46 AM - 06/18/20 »
Could someone explain why we need HDMI 2.1??

Offline MrBrutalFrosty

• MVP
  • Australian Youtuber 1.7k Subs All Things FPS COD
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: MrBrutalFrosty
  • PSN ID: Mr_Brutal_Frosty Youtube: MrBrutalFrosty

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:21 AM - 06/18/20 »
27" 1440p @ 144Hz is the current sweet spot for PC gaming. Hopefully we'll get the option of 1440p for next-gen consoles.

Something like an mClassic might be used for downscaling 4K to 1440p, or upscaling 1080p to 1440p. I know mClassic can upscale, but I'm not sure about downscaling. It's also not HDMI 2.1, so I'd wait for the console resolution specs to be announced, and maybe an mClassic revision before going down this path. I believe Phil has an mClassic and may be able to provide more info.

I'm guessing the lowest native res we'll see next gen is 1440p and that will be extreme cases. Even backwards compatible games will be 4k according to MS and the majority of games will support super sampling (using a high res output to make an image sharper on a lower res display). Mixed with only HDMI 1.4 support this basically makes mClassic obsolete on next-gen consoles.

The one area it can make a considerable difference next-gen is where low res effects create a really jagged image like seen in the Gran Turismo 7 trailer. But I don't know if I'd trade hdmi 2.1 to clean up those jaggies. 
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline He4DHuNt3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: XuK He4DHuNt3r
  • PSN ID: He4DHuNt3r_XIM
Eve Spectrum 4K “144hz” 1440p 1ms Gaming Monitor
« Reply #9 on: 10:32 AM - 06/18/20 »
I hope next-gen has at least a performance option for higher FPS & lower resolution (1440P/1080P 120FPS)

If COD doesn't have a 120fps option on PS5 or Xbox Series X, I'll be very disappointed :-\
I just wanted to say that you are a phenomenal gamer. You make it look so easy and your gameplay has this commanding "tone" to it (i.e. not frantic -- more of a dominating calm :) ).

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11:01 AM - 06/18/20 »
I agree with antithesis, if anything the new consoles will support 120hz but probably not more. Most demos we saw in the PS5 event ran 1500-1600p resolutions by the way, while those may not be optimized games yet im still not fully convinced that true 4k will become the norm with the next consoles. And if it does id prefer 1440p 120fps over 4k60fps (or likewise 1440p60 fps over 4k30fps).
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11:25 AM - 06/18/20 »
A lot of the games shown on PS5 weren't even 60fps. Rachet and Horizon for example were 30. It depends how the dev wants to spend the rendering budget. Because there are games on X1X already that look good and come very close to a full 4k60. However, I think a lot of devs will want to make their games look next-gen and it's hard to do that without ray-tracing which is very demanding. So bigger scale open world games are almost guaranteed to be 4k30 even on XSX.

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:02 PM - 06/18/20 »
A lot of the games shown on PS5 weren't even 60fps. Rachet and Horizon for example were 30. It depends how the dev wants to spend the rendering budget. Because there are games on X1X already that look good and come very close to a full 4k60. However, I think a lot of devs will want to make their games look next-gen and it's hard to do that without ray-tracing which is very demanding. So bigger scale open world games are almost guaranteed to be 4k30 even on XSX.

Yeah I’m more concerned on how FPS games will look and run tbh.

I think we should all expect other games to look and run pretty much identical and shouldn’t worry too much about that, maybe just the 4K 60fps but I think that’s pretty achievable considering how much both Sony and MS are hyping their consoles, MS especially, I expect no less as they keep slanging out “On the worlds most powerful console”

With this, I’ve considered getting whichever console runs Call of Duty better because I don’t really play many single player game’s, I probably get more enjoyment out of watching someone else play them If I’m being honest. If I do complete a single player game it almost always instantly gets deleted after completion because I feel no reason to keep playing even if it’s to do side quests or unlock items.

Also the fact call of duty is now cross platform and it seems that’s what all the big mp titles are beginning to do, it wouldn’t be such a bad decision..

Offline nyder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01:01 PM - 06/19/20 »
I dunno,

My PC can't play 4k well, except Doom.  8700k at 5hghz/2070, I dunno how these new consoles expect too,
I thought it was lame that my PS4 Pro wouldn't support 1440p monitor but outputted some bastardized version of 4K on a UHD monitor.

I doubt I'll buy another PS again, I have a 1440P/144hrtz monitor now, I dunno if these next gen consoles will support it.  An you are still at the developers mercy.
Console: PS4 Pro - 1TB SSD - XIM APEX - Keypad: Razer Orbweaver - Mouse: Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Ventus Z - Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 700 - - Monitor: Samsung U28E590D - Mouse Pad: Logitech G440 hardpad

Admin