XIM Community

Respawn has figured out how to detect xim/m&kb adapters  (Read 895 times)

Offline NOmannersHANNERS

• View Profile
First off, let me say, I have 100% faith in OBsIV and this post is neither meant to fear monger nor start up the age old argument “what can be detected by developers”, I simply wish to draw attention to, what I am convinced Respawn has implemented in apex legends. To set the scene;

Respawn has publicly stated (some time ago) that they were investigating methods of preventing the use of m+kB on console. You won’t find any post on Respawn claiming to have succeeded. This is by design. The first wave of bans on PC for hackers, weren’t bans at all, they simply grouped the hackers in their own servers. This is what I think they’re doing with xim users. Aside from the anecdotal evidence I could give you (regarding enemies I’ve fought) what I present as hard evidence is:19 of the last 30 teammates I’ve gotten with mics equipped have had blatant keyboard clicks heard through said Mic. Lobbies, weather duos/trips are taking much longer to get into, and servers often feel, well barren. Lifeless. When using controller, this is not the case.

How could they be detecting us? Through the settings we select. I believe they’ve purchased a few xim/similar (yet much less feature rich) competing devices, and they’ve likely found a through line: we all have our sensitivities cranked, on default button layouts. I bring this to the attention of the community, in the hopes many of you more intelligent frequenters of this forum can help me both prove/test my theory, and Luck willing, thwart Respawns efforts to group us all together. It’s gotten to a point my friends are begining to notice the difference between my lobbies and their lobbies.

Perhaps I’m wrong? But I’d bet my car, house, and future wife that I’m right. In any case, I hope this post finds each of you well!

Cheers!
NOmanners

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Respawn has figured out how to detect xim/m&kb adapters
« Reply #1 on: 11:45 AM - 05/31/20 »
Welcome to the community. If you think that they are using your sensitivity and button layout as means of detection, then, you could easily turn down your sensitivity and change your button layout (and remap your buttons through your XIM). Try that for a few games and see if anything is different.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #2 on: 03:19 PM - 05/31/20 »
The title of this thread should be changed. It should read "I think...". By the way, a theory is a scientifically proven fact. What you have is a hypothesis that requires testing.

Anecdotes, hypotheses and conspiracy theories don't count for much when XIM hasn't been directly detected or targeted since it's invention over a decade ago  ???

Hard evidence is Respawn posting "We've discovered a way to detect XIM". Soft evidence is "I hear click-clacks of team-mates keyboards". You're drawing a very long bow at best. Maybe next time ask if they're using XIMs, then calculate the results of the survey as "hard evidence".

We've gone through this before with PUBG, Fortnite, Blackout, Overwatch etc. XIM usage is significantly lower than people think. Ergo, developers aren't going to dedicate the resources needed to discover and filter XIM players into dedicated lobbies.

For a game dev to sniff and filter XIM players on console would require significant server-side heuristic logging and analysis of the entire playerbase because SAB makes XIM movement input indistinguishable from a controller. That would require millions of dollars to setup, support and staff...you honestly think they're doing that to find a needle in a haystack? That is exactly what a XIM user is compared to the total playerbase.

Devs also aren't going to use game settings to group players they deem to be cheating into the same servers, that's just silly. If they consider their own controller parameters as cheats, then why provide those options? It's not happening.

On PC, devs have deeper access to the operating system and will be sniffing for cheat apps tapping into the game processes, or running in conjunction with the game. That's very simple and cheap to do by comparison, especially when they can purchase off-the-shelf cheat detection services that do this for them.

Posts like this from new users should be taken with a pillar of salt when there is no substantiating evidence. It's the same theorycrafting controller players use when they accuse better players of using a XIM when they simply lack the skill to win the engagement.

The far more logical explanation is skill based matchmaking (I don't know if Apex Legends uses it), which is more likely to place higher skilled opposition into the same lobby. The concentration of XIM players may increase as SBMM level increases. Even then, it's a tenuous link as you're still highly unlikely to run into another XIM user based on the very low percentage of us actually out there (OBsIV gathers this data, it's likely less than 0.1% for the battle royale games).

Unless and until Respawn themselves provides "hard evidence" that XIM is being detected, get on with your life and enjoy the game. Just like every other dev that has stated they're working on m/kb input detection (PUBG, Overwatch, Fortnite etc), they're not spending a cent to find the 1 in 1000 players using a XIM, most of whom are just average gamers.
« Last Edit: 02:32 PM - 06/04/20 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline ZOMBIES!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05:11 PM - 06/01/20 »
The far more logical explanation is skill based matchmaking (I don't know if Apex Legends uses it), which is more likely to place higher skilled opposition into the same lobby. The concentration of XIM players may increase as SBMM level increases. Even then, it's a tenuous link as you're still highly unlikely to run into another XIM user based on the very low percentage of us actually out there (OBsIV gathers this data, it's likely less than 0.1% for the battle royale games).

Exactly this. I mean, as much as I think people who have never used a XIM highly overestimate what it can do or think that using a mouse and keyboard will turn you into some sort of God instantly, it's likely that the average XIM user takes their gaming quite seriously and is likely to be a good player if they've been using one for a while and dialled in their settings. Apex Legends most definitely has SBMM in place as it's been confirmed by the devs themselves, so what's likely happened OP is you're encountering more XIM players because you're being grouped with above average players, and XIM users tend to be above average because they're typically more avid in their gaming habits than the average player.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06:26 AM - 06/02/20 »
What you experience is something else:

1) Respawn has tightened their skill based matchmaking, you are now placed into lobbies with players that are much closer to your (hidden) skill rating than previously
2) The casual players stop playing Apex Legends while the dedicated (and usually more skilled) players stick to it. Therefore the average skill per player is now much higher than a few month ago. Therefore you are much more likely to run into good/experienced players as before
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline AgentSmith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:32 AM - 08/19/20 »
antithesis:

Well said.

Question:
Of course Obsiv has the data on units sold,   How nice would it be to have an idea of how large this number is.

[Sarcasm]
We all know from the experience of accusation, that every other player in every game is using a xim :-) or chronus , titan  blah blah.
[/Sarcasm]