XIM Community

[ACTIVE] Brand new Sony dual shock 4 not connecting to xim apex  (Read 224 times)

Offline Zythejr

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: iii zythe iii
Worried about old controller's battery longevity so I bought a new one, but it won't connect like my old controller did. When I connect this controller into my xim set up and boot up the PS4, the controller just breathes an orange light. Pressing guide button doesn't turn controller on. Xim manager recognizes it as a wireless controller, but with no PS4 logo. No green lights flash when the controller is connected, only the breathing color of my current game config.

Controller is fully charged.

Controller Model: CUH-ZCT2E

Using a known data usb cable from a link posted on this forum. Tried other data usb cables and they didn't work.

PS4 controller setting set to use usb input.

Tried resetting controller and PS4.

No green flashing lights when connected to Xim apex directly.

Tried different ports in PS4

When controller is off and then connected to ps4 directly via usb, it breathes orange light. When guide button is hit it turns blue and recognizes inputs. When I bring up quick menu I don't see a usb symbol next to the battery icon. This is the same behavior as my old controller which works fine.

Old controller works in this exact set up, but I'm puzzled why a brand new controller wouldn't connect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: 10:04 AM - 05/24/20 by OBsIV »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Brand new Sony dual shock 4 not connecting to xim apex
« Reply #1 on: 12:10 AM - 05/24/20 »
Hey,

orange means standby mode i think. Either way please go into your console system settings and under devices set the communication method to wired/usb so that your xim can communicate with the console via your controller. This is necessary or else the controller is not in true usb mode. With the old controller this isnt necessary.
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline Zythejr

• View Profile
Re: Brand new Sony dual shock 4 not connecting to xim apex
« Reply #2 on: 06:02 AM - 05/24/20 »
Hi thank you for the response. yes i double checked, but the communication has already been set to USB.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Welcome to the community. The controller light turns yellow/orange when the battery is charging. Leave the controller connected to the console while charging with XIM and hub disconnected for a while.

When I bring up quick menu I don't see a usb symbol next to the battery icon.

Old controller works in this exact set up, but I'm puzzled why a brand new controller wouldn't connect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the older controller a v1 controller? If so, it would not display a USB symbol in the PS quick menu because older controllers didn't use/have the console's USB communication method capability.

Is your older controller working now using the same cable that you're testing with? If so then it seems there is an issue with the new controller.

Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Zythejr

• View Profile
Thank you for the response!
Yes I have let the controller fully charge (until orange light turns off) and still no change.

I wouldn't be surprised if my old controller was a V1. I got it pretty early in the ps4 era and it has the old school light with no top bar. However it's a scuff controller so I can't see the model number. To know for sure...

Yes my old controller works with this data cable. Same story with other data cables that I tested. I would be very surprised if there was an issue with this controller because it's new it if the box and definitely not a third party controller... but i guess i can't rule out out.

If I connect this new controller via data cable directly to the ps4 it should show the usb cable icon though right?

Is there another check I could do?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Yes, no light on touchpad confirms it as a v1 controller. New scuff controllers aren't compatible, is your new controller a scuff?

Assuming it's original, consider where you purchased. It's not uncommon to receive third party clone controllers on Amazon and Ebay. You can see this happening in the Amazon reviews. Or it can simply be an issue with the controller.

On what to do next, your controller isn't working in wired mode directly with the console using a confirmed working cable. If using another console port doesn't help then unfortunately the next step is to test another controller.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos