XIM Community

[RESOLVED] WASD stop working randomly for a second  (Read 98 times)

Offline nexus

• View Profile
Hi,

I am not sure what is going on but this has led to getting me killed multiple times now. In the middle of combat while shooting and trying to strafe all of a sudden for a second movement keys stop working and I stand there like an idiot. This has gotten me killed multiple times. I read around the forums and people are saying it could be due to power related issues but how much power is the Keyboard using that it would cause problems like that?

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex 3
Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

I don't have any issues with the mouse at all and the issue only seems to be with the movement keys (WASD). Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Also I noticed if I play with the settings of XIM it also makes a difference, for example if I use "OFF" Sync and higher DPI it happens way more often. The best setting right now for me is using "Common" and 500 hz this issue is then somewhat manageable as it won't happen as frequently with those settings.
« Last Edit: 01:27 PM - 05/22/20 by mist4fun »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: [ACTIVE] WASD stop working randomly for a second
« Reply #1 on: 11:40 AM - 05/21/20 »
It could be key rollover some keys are ignored or input is locked when multiple keys are pressed. What game are you playing?
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline nexus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:57 AM - 05/21/20 »
This is happening on Apex Legends I'm just holding down aim sights while firing and moving. You think that combo is too many keys?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:03 PM - 05/21/20 »
If you're sprinting, jumping, or moving directions yes, sometimes certain combinations of keys are more prone to have issues with each other. Do you have access to another keyboard that you could test?

Also, testing a new config using default settings can help rule out config settings being at fault.

Offline nexus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05:17 PM - 05/21/20 »
Let me test running on default settings to see if that helps. Unfortunately I don't have another keyboard the XIM would detect but I'm trying your suggestion first. I will follow up

Offline nexus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06:45 PM - 05/21/20 »
Doesn't seem like using the default settings help. I reset the entire XIM I even flashed it back to original just to have a clean slate. It still locks up occasionally in the middle of fights that lead to my death. It just happened before this post and I wasn't pressing too many keys just moving to the left and firing from the hip. All of a sudden it stopped me from moving so I missed my shots and also stood still so the other person just killed me

Offline nexus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07:57 PM - 05/21/20 »
You know what I found an old keyboard in my storage and I haven't had issues yet with it. I'll follow up on this I'm going to game for a few hours to see if it ever happens again using this keyboard.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:25 AM - 05/22/20 »
That's good to hear. If it's not happening with the second keyboard using another with proper rollover support may help but before moving on I would check for keyboard firmware updates or other a compatibility mode of some kind that doesn't rely on active PC software.

Offline nexus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:59 AM - 05/22/20 »
Hey Mist, thanks for your replies and yea I have confirmed it's the steelseries apex 3 keyboard that is having issues. Steelseries has their own application that controls keyboard and mouse that might be why it has problems when it's not using that but using the Xim Apex instead. That's okay though I can use the other keyboard that was frustrating though. It's great now!

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01:26 PM - 05/22/20 »
I'm glad the case was identified but sorry to hear about the keyboard. If you are in the market for keyboard soon, Logitech and Corsair devices are known to have true onboard memory and rollover protection. LED profile options may still be limited when used away from the PC.