XIM Community

Ion Fury (PS4,Xbox One. May 14)  (Read 164 times)

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
Ion Fury (PS4,Xbox One. May 14)
« on: 10:57 AM - 05/04/20 »
I really hope this one gets official ST support. I know Duke 3D World Tour had a bad aim mechanic but maybe that was just Gearbox being Gearbox.
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline Rain1dog

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Rain1dog
Re: Ion Fury (PS4,Xbox One. May 14)
« Reply #1 on: 05:35 PM - 05/22/20 »
Yeah, I just bought it and quit due to how hard it is with a controller.  Why they made enemies the size of a pinhead that fly in groups that melt you is beyond me.  After 30 minutes of wasting all my ammo and numerous deaths I deleted the game.

Offline drdim

• View Profile
Re: Ion Fury (PS4,Xbox One. May 14)
« Reply #2 on: 08:44 PM - 05/23/20 »
Yeah, I just bought it and quit due to how hard it is with a controller.  Why they made enemies the size of a pinhead that fly in groups that melt you is beyond me.  After 30 minutes of wasting all my ammo and numerous deaths I deleted the game.

Gid gud! That's a build engine shooter, not one of those modern shooting galleries!

Alternatively use revolver alt-fire (fanning/high-noon) mode for those enemies ;-)

On topic:
As to be expected, stick controls are kinda jank in this game. Even mouselook on PC was problematic in build engine games until the eduke32 implementation which this game is based upon.

Looking as much upwards as possible (straight up isn't possible due engine limitation) and experiencing the extreme warping effect is exemplifying it: Vertical aiming is a hack and thus smooth aiming has to be done by interpolation unlike in real polygonal videogames, where looking up/down means actually looking up/down in the 3D space and thus aiming can be done quite linear.

Now, as I said, the translation of this problem to the gamepad hasn't been very smooth. With normal sticks, acceleration feels off. Way to fast and early. If you play this on smaller sticks like Joy-Cons, it's almost unbearable, so you have to set the sensivity way down resulting in what almost feels like "digital" direct aiming. At the same time it's kinda hard to snipe in this, because there's something what feels like a weird inner deadzone.

So far I had the best experience with a modded gamepad. With medium to high sensivity, a long stick for precision and the hardest foam shocks you can find to counteract the outer acceleration, it plays quite well and I had much fun.

Now of course finding a good XIM setup for this is a nightmare. Probably one of the harder games to translate back to mouse and keyboard. In essence this is already the second translation considering aiming in this game is already weird.

I'm still trying to find the right setup. I've tried the Titanfall 2 template because from my experience that's always a good template to start from. And well, my ballistic curve has gone from mostly linear to the craziest I've ever set it to back to linear back to crazy.

Right now I'm in a state where I can get something done ingame, but it still feels way off and so far I still prefer the controller over M+KB via XIM. Would love it the other way around.

The game itself is incredibly fun. Could have some more enemy variety but weapons feel awesome, the games looks awesome (so colorful and detailed yet unmistakingly BUILD retro) and the level design is superb. Like mindblowing. You won't get levels this good in other commercial shooters today with the exception of the new Doom games.
« Last Edit: 06:50 AM - 05/24/20 by drdim »