XIM Community

Planar Magnetic Headphones with Modmic  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
Planar Magnetic Headphones with Modmic
« on: 10:43 AM - 01/17/20 »
Anyone know if the modmic magnetic base clasp will cause any problems with the planar magnetic drivers on the headphones?

Just got the Hifiman HE-4XX fron Drop, they are my 1st Planars and I have to say that I'm blown away ... it's crazy, but it doesn't feel like you're wearing headphones.

Online AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Planar Magnetic Headphones with Modmic
« Reply #1 on: 08:33 PM - 01/17/20 »
I L O V E my HE-4XX too are fantastic for gaming is sound imaging is just amazing, wide yet focused soundstage; music and movies are a true delight, glad to know that you gave yourself the opportunity to try them.

Honestly, I haven't know about any issues by using the ModMic with it. However as far I research: Antilion, FAQ states it shouldn't interfiere with your headphone drivers, but HifiMan doesn't recommended and warranty doesn't apply, for me that's a no-go.

So the safest bet might be placing the holder on the frame of the driver or hooking the modmic somehow (ziptie?) at the headphone driver plug.

Never tried use the modmic on it, even though enjoy every minute I play with the HE-4XX, still I prefer the ATH-ADG1X for long game sessions, are lighter and its mic is better than ModMic5, that cable though.... I haaaate it, one of these days I going to ask to the techkies to make me the cable mod,I will do it myself, but my pulse and eyesight are not the same.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07:36 AM - 01/18/20 »
I L O V E my HE-4XX too are fantastic for gaming is sound imaging is just amazing, wide yet focused soundstage; music and movies are a true delight, glad to know that you gave yourself the opportunity to try them.

Honestly, I haven't know about any issues by using the ModMic with it. However as far I research: Antilion, FAQ states it shouldn't interfiere with your headphone drivers, but HifiMan doesn't recommended and warranty doesn't apply, for me that's a no-go.

So the safest bet might be placing the holder on the frame of the driver or hooking the modmic somehow (ziptie?) at the headphone driver plug.

Never tried use the modmic on it, even though enjoy every minute I play with the HE-4XX, still I prefer the ATH-ADG1X for long game sessions, are lighter and its mic is better than ModMic5, that cable though.... I haaaate it, one of these days I going to ask to the techkies to make me the cable mod,I will do it myself, but my pulse and eyesight are not the same.

Thanks for the reply Alan, I asked because I'd seen this asked on a few forums and nobody seemed to know.
It's hard to describe how I felt when I listened to my favourite music tracks with these phones for the 1st time ... WOW!
I'm starting to treat myself to some headphones I want while my extremely old ears are still able to appreciate them lol. Have Massdrop Sennheiser HD-6XX's on the way ... I'll maybe use the Modmic with them.

Unfortunately I had to return my ATH-ADG1X's as they had a problem with the sound dropping on the left cup. Only went back to full volume when I pulled the plug out and reinserted it. This happened on both amps I tried it with and also when I used a splitter .. shame as I liked them.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:28 AM - 01/18/20 »
Out of curiousity, did you stick with the stock earpads on the HE-4XX ?

Online AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:03 PM - 01/18/20 »
Thanks for the reply Alan, I asked because I'd seen this asked on a few forums and nobody seemed to know.
It's hard to describe how I felt when I listened to my favourite music tracks with these phones for the 1st time ... WOW!
I'm starting to treat myself to some headphones I want while my extremely old ears are still able to appreciate them lol. Have Massdrop Sennheiser HD-6XX's on the way ... I'll maybe use the Modmic with them.

Unfortunately I had to return my ATH-ADG1X's as they had a problem with the sound dropping on the left cup. Only went back to full volume when I pulled the plug out and reinserted it. This happened on both amps I tried it with and also when I used a splitter .. shame as I liked them.
Yep, I read about it... sucks man. Sounds like a faulty volume box, is weird this bug came in the first batch of ADG1's I though it was solve. That volume box is annoying, have mine glued to the highest volume because it kept lowering accidentally by cloth rubbing.

HD6XX are HD650's solid headphones more than 20 years in the market and they were the gold standard for that time, still rockin'. Pretty nice for music based on vocals, great instrument separation; for gaming outstanding for footsteps, soundstage are narrower so it felts more focused. Sound stage (how broad is our hearing) on visuals is like Field of View(how broad is our visuals), HD6XX are 55 and HE4XX are 74, ADG1X or AKG K7XX are like 104.

About the earpads, yeah I stick with the stock are surprisingly comfortable and plush, can't complain.

However I have a Dekoni's perforated leather hybrids ready on my shopping card, Dekoni uses pretty good memory foam and that model in particular improves the treble signature on the headphones. I tried the Audeze's Velour pads on it, didn't like it. My ZMF Auteur sounds too bassy.

Watch Oluv Review (maybe you already did it), he gives pretty nice EQ that works with this magnificent planars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oP1c32RgPs

Anyways, enjoy your planars, we were missing right? sound is so underrated.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:45 PM - 01/18/20 »
The price for these headphones is CRAZY ... it feels like they are practically giving them away !

If you change the pads on these I guess you have to order the plastic rings as well ? ... Massdrop had a run of Dekoni pads with the tabs fitted ... finished now.

If I ever get round to changing them I don't to want to increase the Bass in anyway ... the stock pads sound fine, but I'm finding them a wee bit hot, think I'd prefer something that breathes more.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:21 PM - 01/18/20 »
Just ordered the Dekoni Audio Elite Velour earpads ... come with the tab fitted.

Online AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:59 PM - 01/18/20 »
Yep the Dekoni's had the tab ready.

Offline Himpy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:06 PM - 01/18/20 »
The price for these headphones is CRAZY ... it feels like they are practically giving them away !

I just bought... $130 sale plus $20 first time buyer discount. If these are half as good as you're raving about I don't want to miss out!

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07:22 AM - 01/19/20 »

I just bought... $130 sale plus $20 first time buyer discount. If these are half as good as you're raving about I don't want to miss out!

Uh Oh ... I didn't realise that I was raving lol.

My old ears may be different from yours so don't hold it against me if you don't like them  ;)
Yeah that's what I paid as a 1st time buyer, and at that price it felt like there was nothing to lose to try out Planars for the first time.

Online AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02:07 PM - 01/19/20 »
Holy Christ! is a steal, I have to pay +$75 because I need to hire a import service handler and pay duties, if it wasn't for that I will buy 3 and give it to my best budds. - is THAT GOOD.

Offline Himpy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10:11 PM - 01/29/20 »
Au1d Yin, I didn't mount my other modmic magnet yet, but took the mic end and slid it across the entire side. It seems the planar "magic stuff" is far enough behind the metal screen that the magnet has no effect. The metal mesh probably also helps. I don't think you would have any issues mounting it anywhere on the sides, but it probably would be best to mount near the bottom where it's furthest away from the other magnetic fields.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05:34 AM - 01/31/20 »
Au1d Yin, I didn't mount my other modmic magnet yet, but took the mic end and slid it across the entire side. It seems the planar "magic stuff" is far enough behind the metal screen that the magnet has no effect. The metal mesh probably also helps. I don't think you would have any issues mounting it anywhere on the sides, but it probably would be best to mount near the bottom where it's furthest away from the other magnetic fields.
[/
quote]
Thanks for that but I've decide to use them for movies and some music .... I got a pair of AKG k712's and I prefer them for long gaming sessions; incredibly comfortable and great soundstage.

Offline BerryBef

• View Profile
    • Hot dance
  • Gamertag: Peenuty
  • PSN ID: Rabababba
Best dances
« Reply #13 on: 10:44 AM - 02/04/20 »
I merely want to state I am beginner to blog and in fact  relished erotic striptease you're website  . Likely I'm wish to bookmark your website. You definitely include excellent posts. Thanks a lot for revealing your blog site.
StripteaseHot dance af57a84

Admin