XIM Community

Overwatch, but not the usual question.  (Read 230 times)

Offline AgentSmith

• View Profile
Overwatch, but not the usual question.
« on: 09:36 AM - 01/14/20 »
As everyone here I am sure knows, there was an interview with jeff kaplan where he publicly said Blizzard didn't agree with the use of M/Kb on consoles specifically overwatch.

I am sure I remember him saying the console manufactures should give native support so everyone can have the choice.
My answer to this would be, everyone does have the choice, they can by an adaptor, mouse and keyboard  for about the same price as an xbox elite controller.

Well...  The console manufacturers did give native support, so where is the ingame support for Overwatch like he suggested he wanted?

Is this just another example of the game designers publicly saying they don't approve of M/KB users and are looking into stopping them to appease the very loud crying controller users, but really they don't give a f**k as long as the people buy the game?

Offline Delttaz

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Deltaz
Re: Overwatch, but not the usual question.
« Reply #1 on: 04:53 PM - 01/14/20 »
Both Xbox One and PS4 allow native M&K support, but that is fully up the devs of the game to implement it.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #2 on: 05:31 PM - 01/14/20 »
PlayStation has offered native m/kb support for 25 years. Microsoft stated about 5 years ago that native m/kb support was coming to Xbox One. Their original plan was to release it with Halo Wars 2, but it never eventuated. Both consoles also offer licenced third-party m/kb adapters.

Blizzard was well aware of the possibility of native m/kb support on both current-gen consoles, but offering it creates friction and fractures the playerbase. The path of greatest profit and least resistance is to go with the most popular control schema, being the console controller.

Next-gen will be interesting as there's no longer an excuse not to offer native m/kb. I suspect most developers will continue to balk at m/kb and stick with controllers, which will continue to create a need for devices like XIM, as will backwards-compatibility with XB1 and PS4 games. Whether or not XIM will work on PS5 and XBSX is yet to be determined, but both consoles are also BC with current-gen controllers, so the signs are good.

Kinda got sidetracked there, but statements from companies like Blizzard, Blue Hole and Epic about m/kb in console games have proven to be little more than lip service.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline ƑȒƐƐĿǾ

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:22 PM - 01/15/20 »
Overwatch will likely never have native keyboard & mouse support, least not on ps4 or xb1. If it did then there would be major backlash from all the controller players. They are the overwhelming majority and if OW had native KB&M support it would no longer be a level playing field like it is now (or at least 99% level playing field since there’s a few XIM users)

Controller players love to exaggerate and make XIM out to be a much larger issue than it really is. In reality, less than 1% of console players use XIM. OBSIV himself has stated that the amount of XIMs sold is in the hundred thousand range. That is minuscule compared to the amount of consoles sold which exceeds 100 million