XIM Community

Mousepads/mats 2019  (Read 299 times)

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
Mousepads/mats 2019
« on: 06:22 PM - 11/07/19 »
I'm looking for a new mouse mat. I'm planning on playing at 20000 dpi and I can't find a clear answer on whether material matters. I've seen recent claims that optical sensors have gotten so good that the kind of material that you use doesn't matter but I've seen claims on here that high dpi optical sensors don't do well on cloth. If anyone can provide good info that would be greatly appreciated. As of right now, though, these are the mouse mats I'm looking at in order from most likely to buy to least:

X-Ray Thor (cloth)
Glorious large gaming mat (cloth)
SteelSeries QcK (cloth)
Razer Goliathus (cloth)

Some others that I've hear were good were Artisans and Asus Scabbard but they carry a hefty price.

If anyone can recommend good hard mouse pads that would help as well.
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline Dodge

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: RheinlandFluch
  • PSN ID: Malarn71
Re: Mousepads/mats 2019
« Reply #1 on: 12:08 AM - 11/08/19 »
Top optical sensors do well on cloth pads.Most pads of bigger brands are field tested up to 24k CPI.

Cooler Master MP510 (Cordura fabric)
Gigabyte AMP500 (simply a bigger SS Dex)
Corsair MM350 (cloth)
DM Pad L/XL (cloth but really fast)
Swift RX (cloth,good speed)
Roccat Sense
Roccat Taito and Taito Control
Scabbard (good but not perfect for FPS games)
Razer Goliathus Speed and Control
Razer Gigantus
Zowie GTF-X

Artisan´s are good but wearing out within months and these glass pads are not mine.Steelseries are good but I stopped using a QCK+  because of how muddy it feels.Same for the Zowie G-SR.
Do not use hard pads anymore but the Logitech is good or if you can still get a Steelseries 4HD.

No idea how many pads I own, but the above are my favorites and work from 800  to 20000 CPI.
PS4 Pro & XB1 X | BenQ RL2755T 
Viper Ultimate| 3200 DPI | 1000Hz
Lioncast LK200
Zowie GTF-X
Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:13 AM - 11/08/19 »
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 02:21 AM - 11/08/19 »
I used a 4HD for 4 or 5 years before swapping to a Dex.

I'm personally not a fan of either hard or cloth - the Dex is the porridge that's just right, but it's unfortunate it doesn't come in a larger size for low-sens players. The AMP500 may be a decent sub, but the surface is not the same as a Dex.

That doesn't answer the question other than to rack one up for the Dex, if you're mid to high sens. Otherwise, I'd probs go for the AMP500.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline AP

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: aGamingPenguin-
« Reply #4 on: 02:55 AM - 11/08/19 »
I have been using the Glorious PC Gaming Race Helios for a couple months and can rate that, but only if your in to Hard pads and your desk is perfectly flat top ( ie no wood grain etc cos you will feel it tho it, as its that thin! , ran in to this very problem myself, had to sand down my desk abit and even then its not perfect ) Also get a couple sets of mouse feet! cos it burns tho them! I just got the Tiger feet for my G pro Wireless and very happy with them !

I did just picked up the "ARTISAN SHIDENKAI XL" and tbh all other pads I have used doesn't come even close to how good this thing is ....
Totally worth the price tag to myself ! ( was £55 + £27 import to UK, Thinking I might even buy a spare )
It did take just over a dam month to show up tho lolz
I had an older ARTISAN hayate pad a couple years ago and it was great but did clog up with dirt rather quick!
I don't see that happening with the SHIDENKAI as it has this " glass " coating on it, tho it don't feel like it, its more like errrrrrr not sure maybe wet silk ? its sooo god dam smooth!
Very happy with it, I have way more confidence in my flick shots with it.
Quote from: He4DHuNt3r
oh ya I have a on suite bathroom for my games room....... and a shower!

I used to be someone now I am just me ..... :D

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #5 on: 05:16 AM - 11/08/19 »
My recommendations are pretty much the same as those made by antithesis:

I use a Dex at work because I don't move my mouse far or quickly and it's the best mat I've ever used.

I use a Thor at home because it's the fastest cloth pad I know and it's XL, so it covers my whole desk. I was using the AMP500 before my Thor arrived because it's large and feels similar (but not quite as good) as the Dex.

If your 180° flick is less than 6" I'd recommend the Dex, unreservedly.

Incidentally, if you're after speed I'd recommend investing in a set of ceramic mouse skates. They make my heavy old Swiftpoint Z feel like an ultralite!

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Crucial MX500 1TB, T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica AD700, Modmic 5, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 [email protected], Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill [email protected], XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline AP

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: aGamingPenguin-
« Reply #6 on: 08:56 AM - 11/08/19 »
I hear good things about them ceramic skates.

But I know they don't work on all mice because of the lift off distance.
Mate got some and they only work on 1 of his mice.

So defo double check.
Quote from: He4DHuNt3r
oh ya I have a on suite bathroom for my games room....... and a shower!

I used to be someone now I am just me ..... :D

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #7 on: 09:20 AM - 11/08/19 »
I peeled off the original skates on my Swiftpoint Z and then filed the surrounding plastic until it was completely flat and smooth. This meant that I didn't need to adjust my lift-off height.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Crucial MX500 1TB, T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica AD700, Modmic 5, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 [email protected], Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill [email protected], XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline Dodge

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: RheinlandFluch
  • PSN ID: Malarn71
« Reply #8 on: 10:25 AM - 11/08/19 »
What is said here about the dex and amp 500 is true.
But the difference is not that huge. I notice it too, but I quickly adjusted to it.
If there was a Dex in the size of the AMP, but SS does not plan a larger version.
The AMP is a bit faster with really good stopping power.The speed combined with the stopping power of the pad led to good crosshair placement whenever I flick to or track a target.It has great gliding speed, great control, and great stopping power and is larger as a Dex.
PS4 Pro & XB1 X | BenQ RL2755T 
Viper Ultimate| 3200 DPI | 1000Hz
Lioncast LK200
Zowie GTF-X
Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless

Offline PixelSquish

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: TahiniMeanie
« Reply #9 on: 11:26 AM - 11/08/19 »
another vote for the Dex if you don't need a ton of space.

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09:20 PM - 11/08/19 »
Can't find Dex on a trustworthy site. I like the pattern on it.

I ended up getting the X-ray Thor, as well as the Glorious cloth mat, but it's going to take a while to get here. If neither Thor nor Goliathus track well at 20000 dpi I'll try the Helios.

Does anyone know if a lighter colored and patterned mouse mat tracks better than pure black? I might dig out my Puretrak Talent and test it out as well but that was a control pad all the way and I prefer a speedier one.

Offline AgentSmith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05:01 AM - 11/11/19 »
Just use the desk top . why waste money on a mouse mat when it isn't needed?

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:41 PM - 11/11/19 »
The glorious turned out to be be a very good mat. It tracks better with the RVU than any mat /mouse  combo I've had. It's also speedier and smoother than any mouse mat I've had including hard ones. It does have that cloth texture feel that might grate on some people, though.