XIM Community

Razer analogue keypad  (Read 3373 times)

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ceebs_63
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
Razer analogue keypad
« on: 07:49 AM - 10/29/19 »
Hi all,

Razer have just released a new analogue keypad, the Tartarus Pro.

As a fan of the potential of analogue movement, but with limited experience of it, I am interested in buying one. However, feedback regarding Razer products by XIM users, has been mixed to say the least (power draw, onboard memory, price, etc).

Can anybody that has used the Razer Tartarus share their experience to help me to make a decision, please?

Many thanks,
ceebs

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, 1TB Crucial MX500, XSX, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline dpk_ydv

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: B2uT3_f02c3
Re: Razer analogue keypad
« Reply #1 on: 08:56 AM - 10/29/19 »
I don't have that keypad, but I saw a review which said unless you want to use the macro functionality of the keypad, it's hard to recommend it to anyone for that price.

And the thumb-stick is not analogue which is what I was hoping for.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:29 AM - 10/29/19 »
The dual-function (2 functions to 1 key) seems like it would maybe need Synapse to function?
If the analog key sensitivity for movement works with Xim without Synapse then this keypad looks neat for WASD players, I played for a long time with the Belkin N52te and loved the egonomics of the pad.

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:57 AM - 10/29/19 »
Yeah, Hardware Canucks' review says that it has no on-board memory, so I'm assuming that we won't be able to use the dual function feature, or remap keys, or assign macros to it.

The analogue keys don't need Synapse, so should be fine.

I played for a long time with the Belkin N52te and loved the egonomics of the pad.
Who'da guessed? ;)

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, 1TB Crucial MX500, XSX, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:18 AM - 10/29/19 »
I read a Windows Central review where it stated that "Analog input is compatible out of the box with all gamepad-supported games".

In the Razer product specs FAQs of the Gamepad it says "how does the Tartarus pro read analog input?" answer says that Synapse translates the measurements into analog input for games.

But the FAQs also say that games with controller support will work out of the box ... so maybe the Synapse is just needed for the 2 function feature?

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:29 AM - 10/29/19 »
Hard to say then. But I'm not prepared to pay £130 to find out.

Where's HL3?

Offline ThedirtyRabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:45 AM - 10/29/19 »
I'd love to test this. I use a Razer Tartarus V2 and have been looking for an analog  o e handed.

Would you be able to map walk/sprint min walk-max run speed to WSAD with the XiM? As most games have a max walk speed until to toggle sprint or push down on the analog stick to sprint. Man I wish I could play test this though

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #7 on: 01:48 PM - 10/29/19 »
I saw this about a week ago. Previous Razer analog switches did not provide analog input. I donít know if thatís the same case here.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Albastı

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Psn
« Reply #8 on: 03:03 PM - 11/27/19 »
razer tartarus pro does not work with analog keys xim apex. it only works as a normal keyboard.

Offline M_A_D_20

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04:17 PM - 11/27/19 »
Thought i'd add this analogue keypad to your thread also.. though it's a Hori and their analogue never normally work with Xim.

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/564462/tactical-assault-commander-f14-final-fantasy-xiv-edition#/fea

And just for fun, also added this.. too good to be true  :D Guess this never made it..

https://www.engadget.com/2014/01/03/sinister-gamepad-hands-on

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04:34 PM - 11/27/19 »
3 years user of Orb-weaver.

I'm pretty excited to try it. Still intrigued how it will handle the analog input. As far it shows, seems that Synapse is only reading the input from hardware and giving you input manipulation via software based on the detection. Same like on Titan Two when we read how far the stick is moved to handle or trigger a different response via scripts.

Now if its true hardware analog input with XIM, in that case we should map the WASD keys as X and Y axis, not binding to the movement keys which are going from 0 to full 100% (SAB OFF) input per keystroke. Maybe needs some specific support from XIM Team on this device, to handle the input, OBsIV might have better idea on this.

Meanwhile, I guess can unpack my backup Orbweaver to use it with my PC.
« Last Edit: 05:09 PM - 11/27/19 by alanmcgregor »

Offline sncjez

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01:15 PM - 11/30/19 »
Thought i would share this from a cooler master control kickstarter pad thread, i reckon be patient pretty sure a couple here are in the kickstarter and hopefully can shed some light when the time comes.

Jeremy Razzano
about 1 month ago
So, looks like this *isn't* the "worlds first mechanical keypad with pressure sensitive control" - Razer just crossed the finish line : https://www.razer.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-tartarus-pro

Showing 3 of 8 replies

Cooler MasterCreator
25 days ago
It's true that they launched before ours. Main difference is that they use optical switches instead of trying to combine Aimpad technology with mechanical switches. Optical switches work, but the experience is actually subpar compared to Aimpad. There will be large deadzones where the key doesn't do anything whereas ControlPad will fully register the keypress :)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #12 on: 05:46 PM - 11/30/19 »
My ControlPad should arrive within a few weeks...which has been the case for months now ;)

I have a Wooting Two which uses optical switches and it too has the deadzone issue mentioned above. I'll see how ControlPad compares and will let you boys know if it works on XIM APEX.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Obie_1_Kenobi

• May the force be with you...
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Lamassu on Battlenet
« Reply #13 on: 06:01 PM - 11/30/19 »
Went from a Nostromo to a tartarus before this new model.  Looking into getting a new one in near future. I would highly recommend it. I have tried a sony nav and just isnít for me. I have used a keypad since the first Xim. Wouldnít go any other way! Great product. Just picked up a Razer basilisk Ultimate. Amazing mouse! Great tracking!

Offline sncjez

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06:14 PM - 11/30/19 »
My ControlPad should arrive within a few weeks...which has been the case for months now ;)

I have a Wooting Two which uses optical switches and it too has the deadzone issue mentioned above. I'll see how ControlPad compares and will let you boys know if it works on XIM APEX.

Great that's good news your in, please keep us updated when you have delivery  8)

Admin