@#$% Knife  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: H3X AntiStyle
@#$% Knife
« on: 01:37 PM - 01/23/11 »
Apparently the knife just flat out doesn't work for me or some @#$%. Because no matter WHAT I do, no matter how quickly I react, there's just always a knife in my chest. All. The. Time.
See a guy ten feet away? Start shooting at him? Nah he knifed me. See a pixel of a guy around the corner and knife going around the corner? Nah apparently the knife just didn't do anything to him. Watch my knife stick into his back? Nah it missed.
It's friggin retarded. Either absolutely every single player on the planet who isn't me has figured out some trick to it, or the game literally just doesn't like me. I've tried it all.

And it definitely isn't my ping. I ping these servers at 40~50, and that's definitely up on the best ping times for most of these servers. So @#$% is it?

BTW this goes for PC or 360 Black Ops.

The M on the cover is supposed to let you know you need to be mature.

Offline mikael

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: @#$% Knife
« Reply #1 on: 01:53 PM - 01/23/11 »
Yeah black ops is known for that problem. Knifing is even worst then it was in mw2 with commando. Happens to me all the time.

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:07 PM - 01/23/11 »
It's not even that the knife is ridiculous, it's that apparently there's some trick to it. Because even when I DO try to knife, I still die horribly.
I've always thought that if you were getting knifed, there should be some kind of a quicktime event or some @#$%, that could prevent you from insta dying on bullcrap. Like, imagine if the Halo Assassinations only took like, 1 1/2 seconds, and you could do something to stop it from killing you. That would be nice.

Offline tameanaka

• MVP
  • お前はも死んでいる。
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06:51 PM - 01/23/11 »
Been there before, haven't had quite the trouble as you. It is annoying to see your knife/bullets hit someone and do nothing .  It all rawly comes down to connection and timestamp. Big drawback of running on such an old network engine.

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:47 PM - 01/23/11 »
Okay, so I remembered some tweaks that most PC users do to reduce video latency and @#$%, so I went through my system to see what I could tweak. Turns out that in the ATi CCC I had VSync always on, and Triple Buffered. X_x And also someone apparently turned on the noise reduction on my TV, which I imagine introduced some lag.

Much improvement all around. My KD is MUCH better now. >_> Apparently that @#$% isn't just for the hardcore.

holidayshrimp

« Reply #5 on: 01:56 PM - 02/02/11 »
I saw this guy with the tag GMONEY and some numbers one match of HQ and he was destroying with ballistic knives.  Went like 1.5/1 ratio with strictly knives/tomahawk.  So I looked at setups and started playing one.  It's actually really fun and has improved my knife reaction skills immensely.

Try it for a few rounds and you will get better at knifing.  I went 20/12 last night in HQ Havana with 4 caps. 

Two different styles of setup:
1 - Knifing and tomahawk first, shoot knives last.  This is your zerg style of play for mostly close quarters combat (melee range)
Lightweight (pro) - Catching up to goons to shank is your bread and butter.  Plus when u get the pro you can jump off anything and take no damage to chase someone down.  Awesome for jungle jumping off the snipe cliff.
Steady Aim PRO - Recovers your lunge time so you can knife two people in rapid succession or if you miss.
Marathon (pro) - Sprinting helps to go around enemies and sneak up on them

2 - Lots of throwing tomahawks AND knives.  This is a short/mid ranged combat style
Scavenger (pro) - Restock up on knives and tomahawks
Warlord (pro) - When u pro this perk you start with 2 tomahawks!  Great for pre match tossing.  I have yet to learn the early toss spots to gib someone early
Marathon (pro) - This is a must have for knife class.

Best pro perk to get is marathon pro IMO.  Do CTF with LW/Mara for caps.  Then do SND for the first blood medals because each round u can earn the medal.  I got 5 in one game ^^

Offline Cool_Breeze

• MVP
  • Another gamer from down under
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: C00LBr33Zzze
« Reply #6 on: 09:00 AM - 02/03/11 »
im in the same boat..... if i miss the knife on the first attempt I never seem to get a second go at peeps.... Oh well more practice needed.

Im 2nd prestige and still cant knife efficiently... *sigh*

Xbox360 Slim : Microsoft // XIM3 : XIM Technologies
A40 Mix Amp : ASTRO Gaming // MLG A40 Headset : ASTRO Gaming
N52TE : Belkin // G500 : Logitech
Wired Controller : Microsoft // 32" LCD Television : Sharp

holidayshrimp

« Reply #7 on: 03:19 PM - 02/03/11 »
This whole last half of my first prestige I've been playing a knife class HQ exclusively.  Getting pretty good with stabbing.  Need work on my tomahawk and shooting the ballistic knives still.  Not many caps but with HQ it makes it easier to guess where they are spawning and coming from.  Lightweight/Warlord/Marathon let me sprint around and behind them and knife 3+ people consecutively.  I do a lot of camping in corners and wait for them to run by and sprint after them and shank them in the back =)  I know it makes a lot of people rage and that's why I like this setup.  Griefing at its finest!

Think I'm at like 15 tomahawk kills and 300+ knife kills.  Didn't knife much on my way to first prestige.

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12:51 PM - 02/04/11 »
most controller users have knife bound to the right stick.  Makes it super easy to 'panic-knife' and get the jump on a ximmer who has to lift a finger to press another button.  My knife kills went WAY down when I started using the xim, mostly because of this.

and MW2 commando was WAY, way worse than anything I've ever seen in BO.  it's total cheese in MW2.  lately, I've been trying out different binds for knife.  I have one of the thumb buttons bound, and if I roll my thumb up, I can usually hit it.  still not quite as fast as a controller though.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:16 AM - 02/05/11 »
Best pro perk to get is marathon pro IMO.

I second this for any class.  If you can't move around the map quickly, you won't be able to go where the action is and get kills.  I don't know how I played without marathon pro for so long.

Offline Oxxy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06:20 AM - 02/06/11 »
most controller users have knife bound to the right stick.  Makes it super easy to 'panic-knife' and get the jump on a ximmer who has to lift a finger to press another button.  My knife kills went WAY down when I started using the xim, mostly because of this.

yeah this is why i dont really care when i get knifed anymore, I know 99% of the time its a panic knife and a player using a controller has the upper hand there.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:45 PM - 02/06/11 »
I moved my knife to the right mouse button back in MW2 so I could hit it quickly.

What button is everyone else using?

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09:46 PM - 02/06/11 »
middle mouse or scroll down
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
[/size]

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09:19 PM - 02/09/11 »
I use 1 on the Naga numpad, but I hear that won't work on XIM3 at launch, so... yeah scroll down for me. D;

Offline Ultim8

• MVP
  • Gamertag = Ultim83
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Ultim83
« Reply #14 on: 06:47 AM - 02/10/11 »
naga drivers are being worked on by orbital flamemonkey so you will probably be able to use it very soon :)